+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Slow and Jittery on SSD

Soulwalker

Default Slow and Jittery on SSD

Hey All,

I have a strange problem. I recently built a new system to better play modern games. This includes a 6 core processor, Radeon HD 6800, 8Gb DDR, and a solid state disk. I have run other games without issue and I ran tests and cannot find any issues with the disk.

When I run rift launched from the SSD it loads extremely quick, but when in the game it gets jittery and the mouse does not respond well (same action can be observed if I alt-tab to windows). If I load the game off a USB connected SATA drive it loads the game a bit slower, but I have no gameplay issues at all.

As stated I have played Fallout: New Vegas, SC II on near max settings and loading off SSD w/o issue.

Is there some type of known issue w/ running rift from an SSD?

Ascendant

Sounds more like an FPS issue. If there's no problem loading the game, then why would an SSD make it jittery once loaded?

Put Rift onto a normal HDD & see if it makes any diff.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by C-BuZz View Post
    Sounds more like an FPS issue. If there's no problem loading the game, then why would an SSD make it jittery once loaded?

Put Rift onto a normal HDD & see if it makes any diff.
    I did -- as stated in my original post I loaded it onto a SATA drive and the game runs fine. It is only on the SSD that it is jittery. I suspect that even though you launch the game it still calls disk based resources as you play. It is not going to load up everything it needs.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Valqueth View Post
    I did -- as stated in my original post I loaded it onto a SATA drive and the game runs fine. It is only on the SSD that it is jittery. I suspect that even though you launch the game it still calls disk based resources as you play. It is not going to load up everything it needs.
    I actually read that you put it onto another HDD but it didn't actually sink in Is the SSD the boot drive? Perhaps plug it into a different sata port?
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by C-BuZz View Post
    I actually read that you put it onto another HDD but it didn't actually sink in Is the SSD the boot drive? Perhaps plug it into a different sata port?
    I might try that. It is currently in the Sata 6Gbps port, which should work with SATAII devices, but who knows...

Soulwalker

I might try that. It is currently in the Sata 6Gbps port, which should work with SATAII devices, but who knows...
    I tried it in a different SATA port and while it did not jitter while on the SSD I still noticed a difference in framerate between the SSD and the HDD (which is strange). I was getting anywhere from 22-37 fps when running off SSD. I was getting 24-58 when running off the HDD.

I tried it in a different SATA port and while it did not jitter while on the SSD I still noticed a difference in framerate between the SSD and the HDD (which is strange). I was getting anywhere from 22-37 fps when running off SSD. I was getting 24-58 when running off the HDD.
    Check your SSD for errors, they should have zero effect on FPS. Do you have it compressed or something?

edit: yay 1000 posts and only banned once.
    Last edited by Forum Troll; 03-22-2011 at 09:56 PM.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

Which SSD is it? Determining the controller and researching that might yield you some answers. I'd also put it on a Sata 3g port.
    "I love being a father, but there are some things I miss: Silence, the absence of noise, one single moment undisturbed by the sounds of a childrens’ TV program called Doc McStuffins. There is no quiet anymore, there is only Doc McStuffins.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

Rift is on a SSD for me and runs smoothly.

If you are getting any perfromance problems from a SSD there is something terribly wrong with it.

I run 2 Intel SSDs in Raid-0 and they have been working wonderfuly in that canfigutation or separately since I bought them. I meen c'mon only reason to buy a SSD in the first place is to get a performance boost, so anything else is unthinkable.
    ASUS Rampage III Extreme, Intel Core i7 980x, 12Gb Corsair Dominator GT, Radeon 5870 Vapor-X, 2x Intel X25-m SSD in Raid-0

Soulwalker

I ran a few more tests this morning and could not find any issues with the SSD. I also noticed consistent frame rates running from either disk with 60 or so fps.

I am now left with a big Hmm.. my system is well cooled and the CPU and Graphic card temps are not overly hot. I am not overclocking or doing anything non-standard. The CPU hardly goes over 30% with the game running, not sure what my graphics card is running at -- but I even have these problems if I bump my graphics down to a low level (which is why I thought it could potentially be the SSD to begin with).

That is an odd situation. I run it on SSD as well and haven't noticed any slowness or "jittery". What exactly do you mean by being "jittery"?

I'm tempted to try running it on a standard drive and see what it does compared to my SSD. I imagine I'd get worse performance, but who knows...

Obviously you shouldn't have worse performance running off of a SSD. Textures and characters should load quicker which would present a smoother playing experience. Do you have an older video card you could pop in and test?

I just wonder if since the SSD is faster than the standard drive if maybe something else in your system is kind of hiccuping on the faster data. And of course try different drivers and all that.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Kalizaar View Post
    That is an odd situation. I run it on SSD as well and haven't noticed any slowness or "jittery". What exactly do you mean by being "jittery"?

I'm tempted to try running it on a standard drive and see what it does compared to my SSD. I imagine I'd get worse performance, but who knows...

Obviously you shouldn't have worse performance running off of a SSD. Textures and characters should load quicker which would present a smoother playing experience. Do you have an older video card you could pop in and test?

I just wonder if since the SSD is faster than the standard drive if maybe something else in your system is kind of hiccuping on the faster data. And of course try different drivers and all that.
    Yes, it is quite strange. I do have another vid card that I can use, I just have to pull it out of my old system. This system is only a week or so old, but this is the first issue I have had. You certainly notice a difference when loading via SSD as opposed to rotational disks.

When I say jittery I mean that moving the mouse from POS A to POS B results in slow jerky movements in the cursor -- this happens if I alt-tab to windows as well. It will go away after a minute or two and work fine for a few minutes before doing it again. I have not checked my frame rate when this happens, but will next time it happens. Typically when this happens walking also results into what I call 'baby steps' the character on screen looks as if they are shuffling their feet. The environment and other aspects are all operating at normal speed when this happens -- so the whole screen does not get slow -- just the character moving and the mouse.

Soulwalker

Update: After I returned home from work I loaded up the ATI application profiles and moved my graphics settings to Heavy from a custom setting. I also turned off AA via the game and turned it on via catalyst control center. I played for a solid 3 or so hours after this and did not notice a single glitch.

Glad you got it working! Still strange that it was happening though.. lol

+ Reply to Thread