+ Reply to Thread

Thread: High videocard temps running rift??

Shadowlander

Default High videocard temps running rift??

ok first off my specs:

i7 950 3.2gz 6 gigs ram triple channel ddr3

primary graphics card: EVGA 460 GTX 1 gig
    Secondary graphics card (pure physx duty for other games): evga 9800gtx+ (1 gig)

I just opened the case and did my monthly cleaning out of dust (4 case fans 2 videocard fans cpu fan and psu fan) and a friend of mine was being asked by another friend what kind of temperatures he was getting. So i checked mine .. YIKES 79 degrees. piping hot!!! with fan going 100%. other games i don't even come close to that. average maybe 55 and spike 60. wth is going on?

drivers: latest 266.58

anyone ealse having these heat isue with rift? if so and you fixed it how did you fix it??

resolution i play at (1920x1080 .. native for my flatpanel) avg 62 fps
    Last edited by maelstorm; 03-22-2011 at 04:24 PM.

yup, had a similar issue myself. the fan failed on my 8400gs and it literally melted, playing with onboard (Weee) till my replacement arrives. it's actually not awful with enough tweaks.

you should be able to do some airflow mods to your machine to get more fresh air over the card, the most effective is a small air tunnel from outside the case, to near the pickup for the GPU cooler.

Zab
    Champion

79 isn't really considered "piping hot" in my opinion. Your card is doing what it's supposed to do, the GTX 400 series cards run notoriously hot. As long as they don't push the 90 mark you have nothing to worry about.

Ascendant

Definitely not piping hot/overheating/whatever you want to call it, that's actually pretty good & well under the thermal threshold.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    79 isn't really considered "piping hot" in my opinion. Your card is doing what it's supposed to do, the GTX 400 series cards run notoriously hot. As long as they don't push the 90 mark you have nothing to worry about.
    yea but i don't even break 60 with that other popular mmo that incites alot of flaming trolling ect.. medal of honor i'm steady 60 maybe spiking 65. all at that resolution.

case fan #1 is pulling air in from the front thu the HDD bay to the expansion cards
    case fan #2 is pullign in air from the side (no wall or obstructions for roughly 3 feet pure air) right onto the expansion cards
    case fan #3 is pulling in air from above thru the cpu then expansion slots
    case fan #4 is pulling air OUT the backside from above the expansion slots from the cpu.
    Cpu cooleri s blowing air directly back towards casefan #4.

i might be able to drop the temp 5 -8 degrees if i pull out my 9800 gtx+ as they seem to ride right next to each other (but i plan on replacing it with a 2nd gtx 460 in a few months. wich means same cooling if not worse.)

this version of the card is the EE (exernal exaust) wich has really good venting out the back of the case. : /

What kind of temps are you riding now?
    Last edited by maelstorm; 03-22-2011 at 04:51 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by maelstorm View Post
    yea but i don't even break 60 with that other popular mmo that incites alot of flaming trolling ect.. medal of honor i'm steady 60 maybe spiking 65. all at that resolution.
    Best not to compare really, because every game is different & will stress your hardware differently.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

Plane Touched

What program did you use to check you GPU temp? I have found that under load not all programs report the same temp.
    I have a GTX460 and see around 69c when running rift. 2 Monitors 1920x1080 (24in wide) and 1280x1024 (19in).

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by C-BuZz View Post
    Definitely not piping hot/overheating/whatever you want to call it, that's actually pretty good & well under the thermal threshold.
    can you post temps? i'd like to have some numbers to shoot for as i tweak my case's airflow

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by RedOne View Post
    What program did you use to check you GPU temp? I have found that under load not all programs report the same temp.
    I have a GTX460 and see around 69c when running rift. 2 Monitors 1920x1080 (24in wide) and 1280x1024 (19in).
    evga precision (by evga) or you can use msi's version afterburner.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by maelstorm View Post
    can you post temps? i'd like to have some numbers to shoot for as i tweak my case's airflow
    From my old rig:

http://i53.tinypic.com/qpjm0p.gif
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

Zab
    Champion

I ran 2x 470's on my evga classified board but had the cards separated, not right next to eachother. M temps got up to about 70ish during rift gameplay, which is about where they get during a long furmark test (highest i've seen was 76). I switched to 2x 295's and my temps are actually lower now then they were with the 470's. IF you have two gpu's and the only option is to have them humping each others backs the only real thing you can do is increase airflow. Your heat will only get worse when you upgrade your physx card to another 460. Grab a little fan and have it blow between the two gpus towards the backside of your case and you will probably notice a decent drop in temps.

The small gap between the two cards is a great place for heat to build up. Regardless of all the fans elsewhere in your case it wont get most of that hot air out unless you have a spot fan blowing between the cards.

79c is fine. If you are over stressed about it, you can always reapply thermal paste and get a spot fan.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Troll View Post
    79c is fine. If you are over stressed about it, you can always reapply thermal paste and get a spot fan.
    What he said. Seriously, take a chill pill, lol.

GPU's aren't in the danger zone til after 100c. 80c under lo0ad isn't that big of a deal, you could get better cooling to alleviate that, make sure the dust bunnies haven't taken up residence in the heatsink and fan blades.

My 6850 hits 67ish under load, but I have a well ventilated/cooled case.

Yeah, as crazy as it may sound, they've been known to run at 100+ c and not break... mind you I'd never let mine get that hot considering going liquid for the cards myself... no real reason, tubes look awesome.

CPU: i7 2600K @ 4.8Ghz Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth P67 RAM: 8 G.SKILL Ripjaws X (1600, running @ 2400) GPUs: 2 x 460GTX's Monitors: 3 x ASUS VG236 w/ Nvidia 3D kit SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 240GB

Telaran

running a GtX 460 temp never gets above 62 and I have mine OC'd. Make sure you have good airflow in your case. I removed a TV/tuner card that was restricting in space. Never used it anyways. But, even after several hours of play, I dont have any issues with temp.

+ Reply to Thread