Closed Thread

Thread: Windows Task Manager & Rift - How much CPU does it use for you?

Sword of Telara

Default Windows Task Manager & Rift - How much CPU does it use for you?

This is a poll of sorts. I noticed more or less by accident that no matter how little or how much I over or underclock my CPU Rift always uses 28-33% of my CPU's output. It seems to average at about 30% or 31% but will spike up to 33% and down to 28%.

At 3.2 GHz, stock clock multiplier and FSB, the game used 30% or so of my CPU's output.
    At 4.0 GHz, stock FSB and 20x CPU multiplier, the game used approximately 30% of my CPU's output.
    At 3.875 GHz, 250 MHz FSB and 15.5x CPU multiplier, the game is still using only 30% or so of my CPU's output.

So now I'm curious. How much of your CPU's output is Rift using or at least allocating?

If you don't know how to load up Windows Task Manager it's quite simple. Just press Control + Alt + Delete. In Windows XP there'll be a button labeled Task Manager. In Windows 7 it'll be a quasi-button thing labeled "Start Task Manager." I'm sure in Vista it'll be something similar but I've no idea what since I never used that... OS. Alternatively you can just click Start and in either the search field (Windows 7) or file box after clicking Run (Windows XP) type in taskmgr.exe and run the program that way.

Next just click on the tab labeled Processes. You may have to sort the processes in alphabetical order as sorting by processor usage can cause things to move around thereby making them harder to find and read. Once you've found rift.exe watch it for a few seconds until you can get a rough idea of either the average CPU usage displayed or the usage number it sits on the most.

Afterwards please feel free to post that number, your CPU model, and current clock speed here. It would also be nice, presuming you have the skills to safely do so, if you could under/over-clock your CPU and report the CPU usage values for as well as the adjusted clock speeds.

My theory is that at least for some hardware configurations the game itself is proving to be a bottleneck to performance. The fact that CPU consumption by rift.exe regardless of my CPU's clock speed seems to bear that out by indicating that the total percentage of system resources it's allowed to access at any given time is limited. My hope is that enough posters will see similar CPU usage values that either remain the same regardless of over/under-clocking or that are within a few percent of 30% to determine a trend.

Ascendant

I'll throw another couple of variables into the loop.

1: Rift processor usage is dependant on GPU, I've tested this with a couple of different GPU's.
    2: Rift utilizes 4 cores at 35-40% ea of on my 2600k wether it's at stock OR highly overclocked to 5.3Ghz, HOWEVER performance definitely increases the higher I push the processor.
    3: Rift never utilizes 100% of my GPU's even though I'm never processor bound, bounces from 50-90% (never 100%)
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

system specs: ubuntu linux, wine-current / winetricks. ath64x2 4400+, 2gig ddr2 667, Geforce 6150SE on an Nforce 430. (onboard graphics)

generally sits at 60-80% of each core, with GPU running 80-100%

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by C-BuZz View Post
    2: Rift utilizes 4 cores at 35-40% ea of on my 2600k wether it's at stock OR highly overclocked to 5.3Ghz, HOWEVER performance definitely increases the higher I push the processor.
    Thats pretty much why I decided to see if any trends could be tracked. No matter how much I over or underclock my CPU every time I look at the executable Rift is using the same percentage as a whole, but over-clocking it does improve performance if only because 30% of 3875x3 is larger than 30% of 3200x3.

My per core usage bounces around, and at one point the primary core/thread was using under 40% while the secondary thread using the other cores was pushing nearly 80%, but overall total CPU usage remains damned static at 30% +/- 1%.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrel View Post
    system specs: ubuntu linux, wine-current / winetricks. ath64x2 4400+, 2gig ddr2 667, Geforce 6150SE on an Nforce 430. (onboard graphics)

generally sits at 60-80% of each core, with GPU running 80-100%
    What does the Task Manager report for your most consistant CPU usage with the rift.exe process though? Roughly 70%, more, less?

Per core CPU usage fluctuates like border-line overweight women at the snack bar but WTM's report on overall usage is usually a bit more consistant from second to second.

Sword of Telara

Bleh, my life for an edit button, or to learn how to edit posts on these forums since it's not so obvious a 3rd grader could figure it out.

C-BuZz, really need the total CPU usage listed by Windows Task Manager from you as well. As I said, per core usage can bounce around a bit and even if it's fairly stable it still might not give you an accurate total CPU use measurement.

Soulwalker

Q6600 @ stock (2.4 GHz)
    HD5850 @ stock, running at 5040 x 1050 resolution on medium quality settings with 4x AF and draw distance 4.
    4 GB 1066 MHz DDR2 RAM
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R motherboard (P35, ICH9R controller)
    Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

CPU load sits around the 40% mark in game but cores 3 and 4 spike to 90%+ periodically. If I Alt-Tab out of Rift then the load drops to its normal 1 to 2%.
    There is, indeed, a light at the end of the tunnel. It's either a nuclear explosion or a sociopath with a flamethrower - either way you're truly hosed.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Grimloon View Post
    CPU load sits around the 40% mark in game but cores 3 and 4 spike to 90%+ periodically. If I Alt-Tab out of Rift then the load drops to its normal 1 to 2%.
    Thank you for the response, and if you're interested in "fixing" that drop in usage when the game loses focus it can be done by going to the [Client] section of the rifts.cfg and editing one line to look like this: LostFocusMinFrameTime = 10

That little change means I get almost the exact same frame rate whether or not the game has focus which makes tracking performance changes much easier.

Rift normally uses about 5% of my cpu. However in large groups it may go up to about 20%.

Make sure you do not have your CPU locked in as the physics card by accident.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffycalico View Post
    Make sure you do not have your CPU locked in as the physics card by accident.
    Or else what?
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by C-BuZz View Post
    Or else what?
    I think the idea is that if the game executes any PhysX code it would result in performance degradation due to it being run on the CPU. Unfortunately for that idea I've seen little to indicate that there's anything in the game worth running via PhysX much less anything being run with PhysX. I have a discrete GTS 450 for PhysX support and it's running at 0% GPU usage and an ice cold 58c compared to my HD6870's 78c.

Leastwise that's the only thing I can think of.

Closed Thread