Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Improving performance?

Default Improving performance?

My lap rig specs are in my sig. I am able to max game out, however i am playing at 1760 resolution on a 50" plasma HD tv and am only getting about between 25-30 fps open world, and in rifts/invasions and WF pvp action b/t 18-20. This is also playing with all shadows off and AA set to smooth texture and AS set to 8 (which shouldnt make that much of a difference in fps). Even turning off AA completely increases my fps only about 2-3. Am i getting the right fps for my system or should i be getting more? I just figured i would be running this game at max settings with like 40+ fps minimum since this laptop is a gaming notebook. Also if there is anything else i can do to improve fps without sacrificing too much of the visuals, let me know, thx.

Ascendant

The 740QM has turbo to 2.8Ghz on one core only right? If you can find out which core actually turbo's to 2.8Ghz then mabye you can set Maintread to the cpu that actually Turbo's in Rift config?
    Last edited by C-BuZz; 03-21-2011 at 05:37 PM.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

i have no idea which thread is turbo. I know i can enable 'twin turbo' mode whenever i want but i usually just leave it at default, because I believe it automatically boosts itself when needed. How can i check which cores rift is using?
    When i click on 'set affinity' i believe all cores are checked.

P.s- just confirmed on set affinity cpu 0,1,2,3,4,5,6, and 7 are all checked.
    Last edited by Se7EN114; 03-21-2011 at 05:45 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Se7EN114 View Post
    i have no idea which thread is turbo. I know i can enable 'twin turbo' mode whenever i want but i usually just leave it at default, because I believe it automatically boosts itself when needed. How can i check which cores rift is using?
    When i click on 'set affinity' i believe all cores are checked.

P.s- just confirmed on set affinity cpu 0,1,2,3,4,5,6, and 7 are all checked.
    Yeah not affinity, you'll have to change the setting in Rift.cfg to select the core that is Turbo'ing. Chances are, the core that Rift utilizes the most is not the Turbo'd core which would reduce performance almost by half if Rift's mainthread was running on a 1.7Ghz core.

Dunno, just throwing it out there...
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

Quote Originally Posted by C-BuZz View Post
    Yeah not affinity, you'll have to change the setting in Rift.cfg to select the core that is Turbo'ing. Chances are, the core that Rift utilizes the most is not the Turbo'd core which would reduce performance almost by half if Rift's mainthread was running on a 1.7Ghz core.

Dunno, just throwing it out there...
    so any idea how i figure out which core is being turboed and how to select it to run rift? I dont feel i should be having to 'figure out' which of my cores should be running rift or not on a machine i just spent 1500 on... it should run rift bad *** right after installation.

Ascendant

Open up task manager click performance (cores numbered from 0 - 7 from left to right, REAL cores being 0,2,4,6 & HT being 1,3,5,7), then run Rift. You will see Rift utilizing one core a lot more than the others. You will then need to got to your Rift folder & locate rift.cfg. There is a config line in there which control's what core Rift does most of the processing with called "MainThreadCPU = 3" to "MainThreadCPU = "CORE BEING USED MOST".

This is all just throwing it out there. You could totally be wasting your time But if you can get the mainthread to run on the Turbo'd core (if it's not already) then there could be a fairly large performance boost awaiting.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Se7EN114 View Post
    so any idea how i figure out which core is being turboed and how to select it to run rift? I dont feel i should be having to 'figure out' which of my cores should be running rift or not on a machine i just spent 1500 on... it should run rift bad *** right after installation.
    You don't have to do jack if you don't want to, I'm only telling you what I'd do if it were my laptop. If you want to complain, then contact customer support.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

This sounds like a perfectly plausible line of deduction. I would also point out the obvious in closing any open program processes that are not Rift necessary, especially browsers and/or anything that has anything remotely to do with Flash.
    Ruranak - Cleric - Greybriar - Guardian :: Sacred Haven

ASrock p67 Extreme6 - i7-2600K @ 4.80Ghz O.C. - 8GB XMS3 - 2x HD6970 - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler
    Antec Lanboy Blue - 80GB SSD

Ascendant

Actually first off you need to figure out which core is Turbo'ing. Do you know which core is actually increasing in speed? Is it consistantly the same core that Turbo's? I'm really not sure how it works as I've never owned one.

Coretemp will give you realtime clockspeed of all cores & you'll be able to see which core is actually Turbo'ing.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

Telaran

Actually first off you need to figure out which core is Turbo'ing. Do you know which core is actually increasing in speed? Is it consistantly the same core that Turbo's? I'm really not sure how it works as I've never owned one.

Coretemp will give you realtime clockspeed of all cores & you'll be able to see which core is actually Turbo'ing.
    Intel's turbo boost is transparent to the operating system and is actually controlled by an on-die microcontroller. The core i family intelligently chooses what to turbo, what voltage to use, etc... based on what is going on (heat and usage conditions). You don't have to do it. You could set the rift main thread to any core on the processor and that is the one that would turbo the highest (there are different levels of turbo depending on what is going on... we'll assume you are just playing the game and not doing anything else in the background).

AMD has their turbo core tech... which is a software version of intel's turbo boost. It serves to bring about the same end goal (faster cores when less cores are needed). AFAIK afinity has to be set by the user via software... so you avoid running things on the slower downlocked cores.

Edit: and according to your signature you own one... 2600k is an i7 with turbo boost... obviously since you are overclocking it you aren't likely to be using it... but the processor does have that feature.
    Last edited by Meridus; 03-21-2011 at 06:43 PM.

Open up task manager click performance (cores numbered from 0 - 7 from left to right, REAL cores being 0,2,4,6 & HT being 1,3,5,7), then run Rift. You will see Rift utilizing one core a lot more than the others. You will then need to got to your Rift folder & locate rift.cfg. There is a config line in there which control's what core Rift does most of the processing with called "MainThreadCPU = 3" to "MainThreadCPU = "CORE BEING USED MOST".

This is all just throwing it out there. You could totally be wasting your time But if you can get the mainthread to run on the Turbo'd core (if it's not already) then there could be a fairly large performance boost awaiting.
    Well when i look at all 7 core boxes in performance window..boxes 3, 5, and 7 have the highest spike visuals showing...so i guess core 3, 5, and 7 are being used most?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Meridus View Post
    Intel's turbo boost is transparent to the operating system and is actually controlled by an on-die microcontroller. The core i family intelligently chooses what to turbo, what voltage to use, etc... based on what is going on (heat and usage conditions). You don't have to do it. You could set the rift main thread to any core on the processor and that is the one that would turbo the highest (there are different levels of turbo depending on what is going on... we'll assume you are just playing the game and not doing anything else in the background).

AMD has their turbo core tech... which is a software version of intel's turbo boost. It serves to bring about the same end goal (faster cores when less cores are needed). AFAIK afinity has to be set by the user via software... so you avoid running things on the slower downlocked cores.

Edit: and according to your signature you own one... 2600k is an i7 with turbo boost... obviously since you are overclocking it you aren't likely to be using it... but the processor does have that feature.
    Yeah turbo was the first thing I disabled (forgot it even had it to be honest), never used it. So will the OP's mainthread by default be pushed onto the Turbo'd core? Because the Q720M only has 1 core that Turbo's right? If not, there will be a fairly significant difference between 2.8Ghz & 1.7Ghz.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

Telaran

Yeah turbo was the first thing I disabled (forgot it even had it to be honest), never used it. So will the OP's mainthread by default be pushed onto the Turbo'd core? Because the Q720M only has 1 core that Turbo's right? If not, there will be a fairly significant difference between 2.8Ghz & 1.7Ghz.
    Turbo for that processor i7 - 720QM is 1/2/6/9 with a base clock of 1.6 GHz. The 1/1/6/9 is how many steps/bins it turbos with 4/3/2/1 cores active.

4 core turbo = 1.73GHz (1.6GHz + 133MHz * 1)
    3 core turbo = 1.73GHz (1.6GHz + 133MHz * 1)
    2 core turbo = 2.4GHz (1.6GHz + 133MHz * 6)
    1 core turbo = 2.8GHz (1.6GHz + 133MHz * 9)

Assuming the OP isn't running anything else, just rift, the core that has the main thread on it should be the most active and should be the one that recieves the biggest turbo multiplier. One prooblem is, to get a nice boost you have to have 2 cores that have little to no load on them. The turbo tech isn't perfect by any means. Windows will try to split things between multiple cores... where as you get the most turbo benifit from 1/2 cores active. To my knowledge, while you can tell a program what core you want it to run on, you can't as easily tell every program what core not to run on (if that makes sence). That is, short of turning off a core at least (or setting affinity for everything).

Edit: there still may be some benifit in allowing the OS to assign the main thread core. I believe that is done by setting the value to 0 from 3 correct?
    Last edited by Meridus; 03-21-2011 at 08:17 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Meridus View Post
    Turbo for that processor i7 - 720QM is 1/2/6/9 with a base clock of 1.6 GHz. The 1/1/6/9 is how many steps/bins it turbos with 4/3/2/1 cores active.

4 core turbo = 1.73GHz (1.6GHz + 133MHz * 1)
    3 core turbo = 1.73GHz (1.6GHz + 133MHz * 1)
    2 core turbo = 2.4GHz (1.6GHz + 133MHz * 6)
    1 core turbo = 2.8GHz (1.6GHz + 133MHz * 9)

Assuming the OP isn't running anything else, just rift, the core that has the main thread on it should be the most active and should be the one that recieves the biggest turbo multiplier. One prooblem is, to get a nice boost you have to have 2 cores that have little to no load on them. The turbo tech isn't perfect by any means. Windows will try to split things between multiple cores... where as you get the most turbo benifit from 1/2 cores active. To my knowledge, while you can tell a program what core you want it to run on, you can't as easily tell every program what core not to run on (if that makes sence). That is, short of turning off a core at least (or setting affinity for everything).

Edit: there still may be some benifit in allowing the OS to assign the main thread core. I believe that is done by setting the value to 0 from 3 correct?
    Hmm, so Op is wasting his time as Rift does actually utilize all 4 cores (not including HT), so Turbo wont even kick in. I wonder if he set Affinity to 2 cores only it would turbo to 2.4Ghz instead of staying at 1.7Ghz stock. That way he can run Dual core @ 2.4ghz instead of Quad @ 1.7Ghz...
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

Telaran

Hmm, so Op is wasting his time as Rift does actually utilize all 4 cores (not including HT), so Turbo wont even kick in. I wonder if he set Affinity to 2 cores only it would turbo to 2.4Ghz instead of staying at 1.7Ghz stock. That way he can run Dual core @ 2.4ghz instead of Quad @ 1.7Ghz...
    Yeah that's the thing I don't know... I'm also wondering if the OS is smart enough to combine any of the partially used cores together to take advantage of the turbo effect. Might give that a try at some point... but I'm too lazy right now.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast