+ Reply to Thread

Thread: So, I just received a coin lock email...

Rift Disciple

Default So, I just received a coin lock email...

And I haven't logged in since last night.

Should I assume somebody tried to log in my account, prompting the coin lock email to get sent out?

If so, how do I prevent THEIR IP from getting whitelisted when I enter the code to unlock my account after I go home and log in myself?

Clearly, of course, I will need to change passwords and such; but that assumes that I'm able to find and close the security breach that gave them access to my password in the first place.

This just occurred to me as a serious flaw in the coin lock system -- sure, it's done a good job of notifying me that my account is no longer secure, and it's (theoretically) prevented the culprits from emptying my account; but the only way to continue preventing them from emptying my account is to either assume that I've resecured my credentials and un-coin lock myself, or leave myself coin locked for eternity.

Rift Disciple

Oh, one alternative did just occur to me:

Is coin lock triggered by logging into your forum account from a location not on the whitelist? Because if so, then my coin lock can be disregarded safely.
    Last edited by bitrot; 03-21-2011 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bitrot View Post
    Oh, one alternative did just occur to me:

Is coin lock triggered by logging into your forum account from a location not on the whitelist? Because if so, then my coin lock can be disregarded safely.
    Coin lock has nothing to do with the forums. It's your game account. I'd suggest logging in yourself, check things out, and if everything on your account is OK, change your password THEN unlock it with the email. Or, better yet, have another one sent, just in case it is based on where you logged in from.

Well, in theory, you can only enter the coin lock code from the coin-locked client. So if you log on from home and don't get the coin lock icon on your game screen, then you cannot enter the code to whitelist the client location that caused the mail to be sent to you. In which case, disregard the mail and you should be more or less ok.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by MadHouse View Post
    Well, in theory, you can only enter the coin lock code from the coin-locked client. So if you log on from home and don't get the coin lock icon on your game screen, then you cannot enter the code to whitelist the client location that caused the mail to be sent to you. In which case, disregard the mail and you should be more or less ok.
    Aha, and there's the answer that I should have come up with. The offending perpetrator isn't the one to unlock the coin lock at his location, and thus doesn't get whitelisted.

Thanks, then, I feel better. Still need to change my passwords, obviously.

Rift Disciple

I received a copy of the coin lock email notification. The links had been replaced by: http://click.trionworlds.com/c.html...(etc)

This email was to let me know that my account could be coinlocked and how to deal with it.

These links are clearly not a valid path to rift or rift support yet the email looks valid.

I have always made it a rule not to click on a link in an email and I recommend that you all do the same.

The question is where do I forward this email for further action?

I don't know that Trion has a specific email for handling those kinds of issues. Maybe just send it to Customer Service (with an explanation) and hope that they forward it to the right place?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Mortimer14 View Post
    I received a copy of the coin lock email notification. The links had been replaced by: http://click.trionworlds.com/c.html...(etc)

This email was to let me know that my account could be coinlocked and how to deal with it.

These links are clearly not a valid path to rift or rift support yet the email looks valid.

I have always made it a rule not to click on a link in an email and I recommend that you all do the same.

The question is where do I forward this email for further action?
    Trion Worlds is the publisher for Rift. As such, they do all the account management stuff.

Now that you mention it, I just realized that the email that prompted my original post in this thread was an informative post about coin lock, not a notification itself. Serves me right for scanning the subject lines on my phone without reading the content of the email.

In any case, the click.trionworlds.com links appear to be legit (the trionworlds.com domain is where you do your account management when you click to it from the riftgame.com site), though not clicking on links is good practice from a security standpoint.
    Last edited by bitrot; 03-21-2011 at 03:52 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by bitrot View Post
    Trion Worlds is the publisher for Rift. As such, they do all the account management stuff.

Now that you mention it, I just realized that the email that prompted my original post in this thread was an informative post about coin lock, not a notification itself. Serves me right for scanning the subject lines on my phone without reading the content of the email.

In any case, the click.trionworlds.com links appear to be legit (the trionworlds.com domain is where you do your account management when you click to it from the riftgame.com site), though not clicking on links is good practice from a security standpoint.
    Please note that at the bottom of the email is the link: www.riftgame.com if you mouseover this link in the email it will show, in the status bar, the same as I posted above. It should show www.riftgame.com.

Also note that while trionworlds publishes Rift, their links wouldn't be CLICK.trionworlds.com ... this alone makes me suspicious of the email.
    Last edited by Mortimer14; 03-21-2011 at 04:34 PM.

Rift Disciple

Sounds like you got hacked. Coinlock only engages when you are logged so if you didnt have it when you logged off but got a email with the code later someone else was on your account.

Soulwalker

Did this email have a set of #s in it? I received an email recently from trion simply explaining how the system works. Was it just that?

Shadowlander

B.S. I get coin locked every freaking time I log in. I suspect it is because I show a different IP every time I log in and it is a pain in my nether regions. I hate unlocking the damned thing twice a day.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by JenadaeX View Post
    Did this email have a set of #s in it? I received an email recently from trion simply explaining how the system works. Was it just that?
    Yes, near the bottom of the first page, I realized it was just that.

+ Reply to Thread