+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Which graphics card to buy to run rift at high/ultra?

Soulwalker

Default Which graphics card to buy to run rift at high/ultra?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...gybfwBCjCECjCE

which is a gtx 460 768 MB version, but superclocked and costs at 169.99 at normal.

orrrrrrrr,

should i get a 1 GB SE version which is 159.99 at normal, HOWEVER its not superclocked. which one would be better to run rift with high settings at 1400 x 900? my monitor is only a 20 inch.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...278&CatId=3669

thanks in advance.

Honestly, unless your Card is over 3 years old, get a new CPU instead.

Trust me when I say CPU is by far the bottleneck with Rift, not the Video Card.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Utherix View Post
    Honestly, unless your Card is over 3 years old, get a new CPU instead.

Trust me when I say CPU is by far the bottleneck with Rift, not the Video Card.

my processor is very good, its an AMD phenom X4 820 2.80 Ghz

My GTX 260 runs it just fine at high/ultra and 1920x1200. FPS never goes under 29 and is usually right around 39, although I have it overclocked.

I'm actually hoping the overclocking will burn it up soon so I can buy a newer card.

Quote Originally Posted by themtndew View Post
    my processor is very good, its an AMD phenom X4 820 2.80 Ghz
    Well what is your video card right now? I still think you'll be better off with a shiney new CPU than a vid card.

I am just running a gtx460, not even overclocked...

no issues at all(everything at max excluding shadows which I do not care about and ground clutter) and I play at 1900x1200 fullscreen windowed.

Telaran

I roll with 2 gtx 460 SE.

1 is more than enough to run at ultra settings no problem. I just recently added the second one after I bought the game because it was in my plan to do so anyway. I get anywhere between 70-120 fps open world (not that it really matters over 60 anyway lol). Of course you could ALWAYS overclock it yourself and reap those benefits (especially with an EVGA card because they have the "I ran it over with a truck" warranty with all their products).

But I should say that I still suffer frame drops if I decide to run supersampling, which is expected. Like I said though, some fine tuning with the clock settings should make it solid to do that.

im running 1920x1200 on a 23" flat screen TV with an i7-870 and Radeon HD 5570. My graphics card is like 2 slots above the cheapest (its less then $100) and it runs the game on Ultra PLUS some more beefed up settings.

just get a fast processor and decent card

I have the ASUS GTX460 768 Mb TOP. Its $159.99 @ newegg and 129.99 after rebate with free shipping. I have it overclocked to 875 core clock and get around 65-70 FPS on high in all zones except busy city zones like Meridian. I get around 35 FPS there. I play on a 23 inch @ 1920X1080.

Im using a GTX 275, and have no problems at all.
    My issue however seems to be my CPU. Im on a 3.07 GHz Quad that almost overheats when running rift =/

So, i would suggest looking into your other hardware first.
    Like Ram and CPU. Unless your GFX is really old.
    "How many loaves have ye?" -Jesus

this game does not seem to be a CPU hog at all, at least with a decent video card.

if you really want to spend some money and get a boost...try an SSD drive.

I am running the game now and the CPU load, even on my simple 2.4 Intel quad core never clears 50%.

I'm running a GTX 285 2gb and it works fine, constant 30+ in rifts and town, 45+ anywhere else. However you will see a better increase in performance from your CPU in Rift, not your graphics card

Quote Originally Posted by FM101 View Post
    Im using a GTX 275, and have no problems at all.
    My issue however seems to be my CPU. Im on a 3.07 GHz Quad that almost overheats when running rift =/

So, i would suggest looking into your other hardware first.
    Like Ram and CPU. Unless your GFX is really old.
    Thank you. Fianlly someone else adresses the problem instead of just posting current specs.

Rift is by and large CPU bound.

I know this because I upgraded from a 3 yr old video card and gained only 5 FPS. Then I thought "oh well thats not very good". So I overclocked my CPU. I gained 5-10FPS from that. I can overclock it more and see a direct correlation in FPS but I don't want the poor thing to melt.
    Last edited by Utherix; 03-20-2011 at 10:49 AM.

I just bought an entirely new gaming rig, building it myself. I got a GTX 460 along with it. My guildies that play this either reccomend the GTX 460, GTX 260, or anything above 460 (570,580, etc).
    and I got an i5 quad core 2.8ghz along with it, so if it truly is CPU heavy, I would go for an i5+ and 4gb ram if possible.
    Last edited by Daberu; 03-20-2011 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fun4All View Post
    this game does not seem to be a CPU hog at all, at least with a decent video card.

if you really want to spend some money and get a boost...try an SSD drive.

I am running the game now and the CPU load, even on my simple 2.4 Intel quad core never clears 50%.
    SSD drive is literally the last thing you should upgrade to. It only improves loading time, not FPS.

And this is misleading, as processors are a lot more than GHZ. My Q6600 is 2.4ghz but any new 2.4ghz i7 processor is likely to be 50% faster or more.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast