+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FPS Issues on Mac bootcamp

Soulwalker

Default FPS Issues on Mac bootcamp

Hey all, firstly i know that the in thing right now to be posting about is FPS issues... and after reading quite a few threads on it, i decided to add another to the pile. only thing thats different is i have Rift installed and running on bootcamp on my mac.

Its a 15 inch Macbook pro that i got in dec of 2009 with a Nvidia 9400m card (latestest drivers installed) in it. 4 gb of ram on a core 2 duo with 2.53 ghz. bootcamp is running windows 7 64 bit os

so, heres what i do. before launching the game i make sure that nothing else is running, then i open the rift client. game runs fine usually for the first 2 minutes of playing no matter where i log into. i get above 20 fps for that duration, then the FPS drops to 5-8 fps.....

thats the confusing part...it does it everytime i play on my mbp. i sometimes get it back up to a reasonable fps when i tab out to my desktop and wait a couple minutes... but i cant always do that when im doing pvp or dungeons.

if theres anyone else out there that is playing on a boot camp install, and are having this same issue, lemme know if you have found any fixs.

and for those who will say "get a pc" i have one, and rift is on it too, it runs perfect, but im not always home to use it ya see. my mbp is mobile.

thanks!

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by bloxs View Post
    Its a 15 inch Macbook pro that i got in dec of 2009 with a Nvidia 9400m card (latestest drivers installed) in it. 4 gb of ram on a core 2 duo with 2.53 ghz. bootcamp is running windows 7 64 bit os
    First of all I am very surprised that the crapbook's 9400M runs the game at a supposed 20 FPS.

Have you tried going into the rift.cfg file and changing the maincputhread = 3 to a 0? does alt+tab(can you even do that???) fix it?

Soulwalker

yes, my "crapbook" can alt+tab, it is running on windows 7 after all, i assume youve never used a bootcamp mac before... imagine windows 7, on a laptop, now just imagine it on one thats worth while and actually fast.

as far as what you suggested, it seems to have helped a bit, so i give you my thanks for that.

the game still is starting off strong (now at 30+ frames per second) then falling way down to a slightly better 8- 12fps . alt+tabing to my desktop does fix it but its not a perminant thing.... so i have a feeling that this issue is out of my hands and its up to Trion to find some fix for this.

I have the same issue Please let me know if you get an answer. Earlier today while closing a rift i dropped down to 2 fps. Another odd thing is i have 4gb of ram on my mac but on my windows side it tells me i only have 2.72gb

with a Nvidia 9400m card (latestest drivers installed) in it. 4 gb of ram on a core 2 duo with 2.53 ghz.
    now just imagine it on one thats worth while and actually fast.
    BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That was fast like 4-5 years ago, bro. How much did you pay for that? 3 grand?

lolmacs. So awesome and "worth it" that you have to use windows on it anyway to do anything worth while. So essentially you paid 400% inflation for 2 year old outdated technology (at the time, even more outdated now) so you can run windows anyway. I guess you could always just upgrade it to keep it viable.. Oh wait, no you can't - it's a mac.

Oh man.. the irony is PAINFUL in this thread.
    Last edited by Forum Troll; 03-20-2011 at 12:50 PM.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

Soulwalker

well its good to see that you're putting your powerful and shiny PC to use here trollin on these forums. atta boy!

also thanks for at least staying a bit on topic. you did good.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Haetus View Post
    I have the same issue Please let me know if you get an answer. Earlier today while closing a rift i dropped down to 2 fps. Another odd thing is i have 4gb of ram on my mac but on my windows side it tells me i only have 2.72gb
    Hey Haetus, i did have some results with the first thing i was suggested to do. change the mainthreadcpu = 3 to 0 in the rift.cfg which is located where you have rift installed. i have noticed that i have an additional 10 fps when its not down to 8-12. but when it does drop to that, i simply tab out then back in, frustrating i know, but i think its out of our hands.

as for you windows only recognizing 2.72 gb of ram, do you have windows xp 32bit installed? i think that windows xp has a ram limit, and windows 7 doesnt. not entirely sure tho. it could be a 32bit os limitation thing.

Soulwalker

I would imagine it has to do with temperature.
    I would try using speedfan or something like that, and see if it is slowing down when it gets hot.

Your second post and it was a random necro?
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

Rich Aemry

3 things.

1 turn down the settings. You have an IGP, and a pre-Wolfdale core2duo, not exactly recommended specs.

2. You will NOT see the same speeds in game with bootcamp that you would on a PC with identical hardware. Bootcamp is emulating the traditional BIOS operations that Windows uses for the HAL. Emulation of any kind is always less efficient than a machine running it natively. Hackentoshes have the exact same issues when booting MacOS unless they have a Motherboard with both an EFI and BIOS chipset. Apple would never dream of paying license fees it could avoid so your PC only has the EFI chipset and a fancy bootloader which then emulates a BIOS chip.

3 That random necro may have a point. Macs have arse for cooling so you should make use of what little you have and manually crank the fans since you are probably throttling.

@Forum Troll *theme music*

+ Reply to Thread