+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Coinlocked every day because of dynamic IP

Soulwalker

Default Coinlocked every day because of dynamic IP

Hello,

I think the coinlock feature is pretty good, it helps people who don't know much about computers to have an additional security step.

However, in my situation it is quite an annoying feature, because i get a new IP from my ISP every night at 3am (where i live there is no other option for internet with a fixed IP).
    This means that every single day my account gets coinlocked because the game thinks i am logging from a different location. also, because the coinlock is registered per server, i get coinlocked twice a day because i have an alt on another server.

Would it be possible to have an option to disable the coinlock feature? I know enough about computer security to not fall for phishing etc. So for me it would be greatly appreciated to have this option.
    --- Krukar, Mage on Sparkwing ---

Plane Touched

Think there already is a big thread on this over in "general" im pretty sure??? maybe?? 0_o

I do hope Trion is looking into this. I only use 1 computer and my IP never changes so I can't relate but I know it must suck to do that every single time you want to play the game.

Soulwalker

Interesting. From what I understand your IP address would always show you from the same city/state/province even if your ISP gives you a new dynamic ip everyday.

Trion has said it has to be a "significantly" different IP address which to me means a different state/province at least...not sure though.

Quote Originally Posted by Krukar View Post
    Hello,

I think the coinlock feature is pretty good, it helps people who don't know much about computers to have an additional security step.

However, in my situation it is quite an annoying feature, because i get a new IP from my ISP every night at 3am (where i live there is no other option for internet with a fixed IP).
    This means that every single day my account gets coinlocked because the game thinks i am logging from a different location. also, because the coinlock is registered per server, i get coinlocked twice a day because i have an alt on another server.

Would it be possible to have an option to disable the coinlock feature? I know enough about computer security to not fall for phishing etc. So for me it would be greatly appreciated to have this option.
    Router or single computer?

If a single computer, do you turn it off at night?

If a router, or a single computer but you leave it on, windows should renew the address before it expires.

What kind of ISP? if dsl and they use ppoe, you will get a new ip every time

Quote Originally Posted by danno8 View Post
    Interesting. From what I understand your IP address would always show you from the same city/state/province even if your ISP gives you a new dynamic ip everyday.

Trion has said it has to be a "significantly" different IP address which to me means a different state/province at least...not sure though.
    Unfortunately, what you are saying would only be true if the ISP filled the IP related informations correctly.

And "significantly different" doesn't mean it's geoip related. It could be just an ip-range check.
    Last edited by Whimsical; 03-20-2011 at 08:54 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by ThatTomGuy View Post
    Router or single computer?

If a single computer, do you turn it off at night?

If a router, or a single computer but you leave it on, windows should renew the address before it expires.

What kind of ISP? if dsl and they use ppoe, you will get a new ip every time
    It has nothing to do with Windows, this is not about my LAN IP but my internet IP. My ISP gives me an IP lease of 24 hours, so at 3am everyday i get a new one.
    --- Krukar, Mage on Sparkwing ---

Trion has said it has to be a "significantly" different IP address which to me means a different state/province at least
    So it doesn't works at all.

I would better like to manage my own security then being locked everyday by a false positive thank you.

Now i'm paying because i'm an ok user (i don't even "touch" torrent" just to say). Sad panda. oh no...angry panda !

Quote Originally Posted by Krukar View Post
    It has nothing to do with Windows, this is not about my LAN IP but my internet IP. My ISP gives me an IP lease of 24 hours, so at 3am everyday i get a new one.
    Actually it does. If i log my better halfs account on my computer it coin locks and the ip doesnt change. Can do it repeatedly.

Wasnt saying your LAN ip, please re read what i said

Soulwalker

Same thing happens to me, whenever my ISP renews my IP address, I get coin locked. Thanks to Comcast being god awful and dropping my connection at least once a day, this happens rather often.

+ Reply to Thread