+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Game performance blanketly worse since launch - loops, glitches, stuttering, crashes

Default Game performance blanketly worse since launch - loops, glitches, stuttering, crashes

First off - is there a way to view the error reports you send Trion when you crash? Because I've probably sent in over 200 by now and, to my complete lack of surprise, absolutely nothing has been fixed or changed or improved. I'd like to know what the hell is in them, at least, so I can try and do something on my end.

In Beta, my game performance was fine. It ran swimmingly. These were my specs:

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 2400
    (This has since then been upgraded to a 5870)
    CPU: AMD Phenom 9500 X4
    RAM: 3GB DDR2

I know, it's an old computer, not that great. But I could still run the game. It might have to be on all min settings, I might slow to a slideshow during invasions, but I never crashed. Now? I can't stop crashing no matter what I do, no matter my settings. This problem began during Head Start and has gotten progressively worse with each patch. What bothers me most is that there's certain scenarios and areas in the game where I will crash 90% of the time*. To top it off, my loading times have probably quadrupled by now (again, irrelevant of my graphics settings at the time). Symptoms of this immense frustration include:

1. Significantly higher loading times (1.5 to 3mins depending on area)
    2. Crashes forecast by sound loops in the open world; this can be anything from simple ambient/environmental noise to actual combat SFX. When I'm trying to ride through an NPC camp I'll sometimes aggro them, they'll beat on me with Exposed, and I'll suddenly freeze up + sound loop for anywhere from 3 to 15 seconds before I can actually do anything in the game again.
    3. Gradual FPS drops (After I /reloadui or log in, my fps is at 45, it gradually drops to 20-30 and doesn't go higher)
    4. Simple, random out-of-nowhere crashes (I'm sitting in FoLH explaining to my friends how Emberlord Ereetu is on expert - lol, crash! No enjoying the game for you!)
    5. Crashes during loading screens
    6. Crashes when sound loops proceed for too long (Automatically raises the ****ing error report sender)
    7. Freeze-ups when targeting NPCs and players either by click or tab (try PvPing with this I dare you)
    8. Target/player UI portraits having graphical glitches (often happens after fighting Ereetu; fixed with reloadui but it keeps happening)
    9. NPCs not rendering or rendering under the map geometry, leading me to riding through an open area and suddenly being shanked by invisible NPCs (was a problem in Beta too but not at all to this extent)
    10. Open world crashes/freezes/stuttering (typically when rendering anything in the open world; again, this was totally smooth in Beta)

*Specific areas, off the top of my head:

* Opening of Death and Life rifts (where that weird glow graphical effect suffuses the environment/obscures/tints vision)
    * The Moonshade/Gloamwood border
    * The Guardian NPCs in that area crash me if I let them attack me
    * Zareph's Return loading screen
    * Southwestern side of the lake in IPP; where the Redstone Courier patrols the road. If I target him I'll immediately loop and crash; logging back in raises a 'corrupted file' errors.

What I've done to try and fix this:

MainThreadCpu = 0 tweak
    Lowering my graphics settings - clutter, clutter radius, terrain distance, texture quality
    Defragmenting my HDD
    Registry repair
    Fresh install (heard this might be a steam issue, d/l'd client from the net, no luck)
    Client/Patcher Restore function (3 times now; works for an hour before problems occur again; try again for a fourth during random crash when approaching invasion boss)
    Driver reinstallation (GPU is all up-to-date, sound card, motherboard and BIOS as up to date as they can be)
    Last edited by Furienify; 03-20-2011 at 06:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Player0ne View Post
    This thread screams, " I'm glad healing is getting nerfed..now please dont quit healing us."

Edit timers are stupid.

To add to my list:

11. No music during boss fights (typically when engaging at my max 30m casting range, makes Expert dungeons suck hard)
    12. Music playing during intervals (plays for two seconds; two seconds of silence; plays; silence - on and on. There isn't even an audible or perceived 'stutter', it just ... isn't there anymore)
    Quote Originally Posted by Player0ne View Post
    This thread screams, " I'm glad healing is getting nerfed..now please dont quit healing us."

Soulwalker

i agree with most of it but the game is still new lol

Have you tried a fresh install of windows yet? Windows gets lots of cobwebs in it over time, and especially after hardware changes. Sorry for the odd analogy, making it readable to most

Tech version: The registry gets really cluttered with old entries, remains of old programs and drivers on the system besides the registry, etc.

I reinstall windows once a year just for this fact.

+ Reply to Thread