+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is primarily bottlenecking my PC?

Soulwalker

Default What is primarily bottlenecking my PC?

Hey,

Would appreciate some help here...

I run Rift on 1280*1024, everything on low except terrain distance. Well, it runs. But not smooth.

Is it the lack of RAM or my CPU that's bottlenecking the game performance first hand? I would be happy to run everything on medium, kind of smooth.

My system:

- AMD 64 X2 3600+ 2ghz@2.2ghz
    - 2 GB DDR2 PC5300
    - Radeon 5770 1024mb

Would slamming in another 2GB of RAM to a total of 4GB increase performance enough meet my requirements? Or is my CPU the problem?

I know the easy answer is "upgrade everything", but since I'm in college I would be very happy to get away with upgrades for 30 euro instead of 330 euro. Is it possible?

Rift Disciple

Another 2 gig of ram may help, although if your running a 32 bit version of windows, not a huge amount.
    you are right, and upgrade everything is what you'll probably hear.

if you were going to upgrade anything, i would say the CPU as this seems to be the main bottleneck in this game. Graphics settings can always be lowered.

But, (and its a big but) your CPU slot may not be able to take any of the new CPU's currently available, and this would require a motherboard upgrade too.

My advice would be to save your money, turn everything down and upgrade to a new cpu + motherboard when you can.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Eblis O'Shaughnessy View Post
    Another 2 gig of ram may help, although if your running a 32 bit version of windows, not a huge amount.
    you are right, and upgrade everything is what you'll probably hear.

if you were going to upgrade anything, i would say the CPU as this seems to be the main bottleneck in this game. Graphics settings can always be lowered.

But, (and its a big but) your CPU slot may not be able to take any of the new CPU's currently available, and this would require a motherboard upgrade too.

My advice would be to save your money, turn everything down and upgrade to a new cpu + motherboard when you can.
    Thanks for the input.

Yeah, I'm leaing towards motherboard+CPU+RAM upgrade now actually... Been looking at some cheaper AMD CPU's, and the Intel i5 2500K. Small differnce in price, but double performance with the 2500K. So, I'm probably going for that one

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Pattayagurllol View Post
    Thanks for the input.

Yeah, I'm leaing towards motherboard+CPU+RAM upgrade now actually... Been looking at some cheaper AMD CPU's, and the Intel i5 2500K. Small differnce in price, but double performance with the 2500K. So, I'm probably going for that one
    I5 2500K is what I'm looking at getting, too. Just waiting for my local Fry's to get P67 motherboards back in stock from after that recall on the old rev.

Telaran

Default current PC DIY or OEM?

If you're coming from an OEM rig (Compaq/Dell/etc), you'll need to buy an OS (64b) and most likely a PSU as well. Don't forget to factor that into your budget.

Personally, I wouldn't look at a PSU under 550W for a gaming build.

+ Reply to Thread