+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 48

Thread: Terrible performance on high-end PC

  1. #1
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    26

    Default Terrible performance on high-end PC

    I'd really wish a Rift technical support person would comment on this issue.

    I get terrible performance in Rift. I'm very concerned, and starting to regret I've supported this game with my $$.
    I know I speak for many people with high-end rigs who are used to having excellent performance in most games, and know exactly what fps they should be getting.

    Here's my setup:

    Intel i9 920 running at 3.0GHz
    Nvidia GTX 570 x2
    Gigabyte EX58-UD5 (not that it matters)
    6GB DDR3
    Win 7 64bit
    Drivers: all latest as of March 19. (Even tried nvidia beta - no difference, no surprise)
    Nvidia policy - let applications control settings
    1920x1080 resolution in everything.
    What I get in other games:
    Bad Company 2 - all maxed to the end, 16xQ AA, 80-100 stable fps without Vert sync.
    Metro 2033 - VERY HIGH settings, DX11, 75-80 fps stable, no issues
    Stalker Call of Pripyat' - all maxed, DX11, 55-60 fps with vert sync

    What I expect in Rift on maxed settings: 80-120 fps without Vert sync, 60 stable with VS on.
    What I get in Rift:
    All maxed:
    Meridian: 25-30 fps
    Outside: highly unstable fps, ranges from 30 to 60 fps (vert sync maxed)
    High settings, no AA:
    30-33 fps.

    Another important thing is that reducing gfx options has far less effect on FPS than it'd be reasonable to expect. Obviously, there are serious optimization issues in the graphics engine itself.

    Could someone from Rift please explain to me why am I getting such horrific performance in this game?
    Also, can we get some comment as to why this game is using really old and unoptimized DirectX 9 API, while even 6-year old games like WoW got DX11 support?

    Trolls - don't bother trying to persuade me that 30 fps is super-amazing. It's like trying to persuade your girlfriend that soft manhood is far more entertaining than a working one.

    I'll await for a response before I renew my subscription.
    Last edited by DarkDvr; 03-19-2011 at 08:40 PM.

  2. #2
    General of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkDvr View Post
    Another important thing is that reducing gfx options has far less effect on FPS than it'd be reasonable to expect. Obviously, there are serious optimization issues in the graphics engine itself.
    That really seems to depend heavily on the overall options too. At absolute minimum raising the draw distances up will cut your frame rate by almost 50%, yet when dropping the draw distances while at maximum graphics there's almost no FPS loss, leastwise on my system. Likewise in areas like Meridian I can crank up AF to about 6x before I start lowering my framer ate and while SSAA lowers my frame rate everywhere ESAA doesn't do anything to it in most areas.

    Hell, there's no functional FPS difference between environmental and full shadows, just having shadows on is enough to cut the frame rate and the difference between the two doesn't alter the FPS hit from just turning shadows on.

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkDvr View Post
    Trolls - don't bother trying to persuade me that 30 fps is super-amazing.
    After playing for 2-3 hours I'd love to get 30 FPS consistantly. For me a consistant 30 FPS as a minimum, even if it were also the maximum, would be great. As it stands I get to go from 50-80 FPS while questing to 20-40 FPS in places like Meridian.

    It'd be really nice if they'd fix that FPS DoT in the system there, almost as nice as if they'd fix this magical CPU-locking stuff that results in systems being CPU locked when the game isn't even maxxing out any of the cores on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkDvr View Post
    It's like trying to persuade your girlfriend that soft manhood is far more entertaining than a working one.
    Well, some girls are kinky enough to like that sort of thing once in awhile. Read Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series for ideas on what to do in those situations.

  3. #3
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marikhen View Post
    That really seems to depend heavily on the overall options too. At absolute minimum raising the draw distances up will cut your frame rate by almost 50%, yet when dropping the draw distances while at maximum graphics there's almost no FPS loss, leastwise on my system. Likewise in areas like Meridian I can crank up AF to about 6x before I start lowering my framer ate and while SSAA lowers my frame rate everywhere ESAA doesn't do anything to it in most areas.

    Hell, there's no functional FPS difference between environmental and full shadows, just having shadows on is enough to cut the frame rate and the difference between the two doesn't alter the FPS hit from just turning shadows on.
    Yep, shadows do cut the fps big time, but I know engine has optimization issues judging by subtle signs like looking straight down at the floor doesn't really cut the processing of visible data, as it should.
    Another sign, which I think really brings out the problem is that while playing I get 24-30% load on both my GPUs. CPU is loaded to about 20%.
    Obviously the engine isn't "feeding" the system with data it needs to process, and GPU/CPU is processing all the data very easily. So, it looks like I can have a 3-way gtx 580 and i9 running @ 4.5GHz, and still get ****ty FPS. That's unacceptable, as I can easily see good engines fill up BOTH my GPUs to 99% stable, CPU load being around 40% or so. That's what I'd expect to see.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marikhen View Post
    After playing for 2-3 hours I'd love to get 30 FPS consistantly. For me a consistant 30 FPS as a minimum, even if it were also the maximum, would be great. As it stands I get to go from 50-80 FPS while questing to 20-40 FPS in places like Meridian.
    Absolutely, there is a definite texture/memory leak present. It also seems that it got worse with recent patch. I'd wish that Rift would at least awknowledge the problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Marikhen View Post
    It'd be really nice if they'd fix that FPS DoT in the system there, almost as nice as if they'd fix this magical CPU-locking stuff that results in systems being CPU locked when the game isn't even maxxing out any of the cores on it.
    I do see the leak, but I've never experienced the CPU locking you're talking about - what do u mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marikhen View Post
    Well, some girls are kinky enough to like that sort of thing once in awhile. Read Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series for ideas on what to do in those situations.
    Hehe, don't think I'll need to worry about that anytime soon

    I do wish that Trion would at least awknowledge the problems, otherwise it feels like they completely ignore its customers. Tell us that you know it's broken, and take ur time fixing it. At least tell us that!

  4. #4
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Actually restarting the game increases the GPU usage from about 20-30% to 65-70%, increasing the FPS along the lines as well.

    Looks like the gfx engine after a while gets "lazy" and stops using GPU as much as it should..

  5. #5
    General of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkDvr View Post
    Yep, shadows do cut the fps big time, but I know engine has optimization issues judging by subtle signs like looking straight down at the floor doesn't really cut the processing of visible data, as it should.
    Well see, that's one thing I don't really see. For me shadows hardly do jack to the frame rate. Turning shadows on period cuts my frame rate by 2-3, maybe 5 FPS, tops. The difference between Environmental and Full is well within the margin of error too.

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkDvr View Post
    Another sign, which I think really brings out the problem is that while playing I get 24-30% load on both my GPUs. CPU is loaded to about 20%.
    Obviously the engine isn't "feeding" the system with data it needs to process, and GPU/CPU is processing all the data very easily. So, it looks like I can have a 3-way gtx 580 and i9 running @ 4.5GHz, and still get ****ty FPS. That's unacceptable, as I can easily see good engines fill up BOTH my GPUs to 99% stable, CPU load being around 40% or so. That's what I'd expect to see.
    I can't say much for multi-card setups except that they're notoriously finicky and that recent advances haven't done enough to dispel that shadow over them. What I can say is that in my dual-GPU system I seem to take a slight performance hit for having the second GPU.

    The big difference between your system and mine in that regard, however, is that I'm running an HD6870 and a GTS 450. My nVidia card shouldn't be a factor at all in my frame rate for this game since it's running on the HD6870, yet removing it seemed to boost frame rates by 5-10%.

    How or why a dinky GTS 450 plugged into a PCIex4 slot only to run another pair of monitors, for multi-boxing EVE Online, and PhysX is resulting in a lower frame rate with my HD6870 plugged into the PCIex16 slot I don't know, but it seems to be an issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkDvr View Post
    I do see the leak, but I've never experienced the CPU locking you're talking about - what do u mean?
    There are two major and two minor choke points in any system for gaming. The minor points are RAM and your motherboard while the major points are your CPU and GPU. In my case the game is apparently bottle-necked by an over-clocked Phenom II 1090t. Why a 6-core CPU OC'd to 3825 MHz is a bottle-neck I don't know, but it is.

    I can be sitting in Meridian with 40 FPS showing, drop my resolution from 1440x900 to 800x600, and get exactly the same frame rate. The insult to injury is that all the while core 2 (the third one given 0-5 numbering) is running at only 80-85% of capacity and the other two cores the game is using are running at only 40-45% of capacity.

    So yeah, I've got a CPU that while perhaps not the best for gaming ought to be more than what this game needs, and it turns out that it might actually be more than the game needs. Yet it's only more than the game needs because the game won't make more use of it.

    I think the peak of my annoyance with the graphics engine hit a few weeks ago when I went from 50-60 FPS questing to 13-17 FPS in an invasion raid and my GPU usage dropped from 50-60% to 30-33%.

    It's a fun game and I enjoy playing it. I'm also not complaining about the frame rate I'm getting. I can drop everything to the floor and get 100+ FPS or max just about everything but SSAA and get 30+ in Meridian (after login). My complaints are simply that graphics settings are occasionally counter-intuitive, where some changes seem to have effects opposite what you'd expect, and that the game won't make maximum use of available resources.

    If I got 20 FPS in Meridian with everything set to maximum, my GPU running flat out at 100%, one CPU core running at 98-100%, and the other two running at 50% or more I wouldn't have a complaint about the engine at all. Well, presuming the leak was plugged too.

  6. #6
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    26

    Default

    There actually may be a Rift-enforced CPU bottleneck here. I read today somewhere that Rift was said to be "optimized for multicore CPUs", yet it seems (and confirmed by rift.cfg setting) that Rift actually gets a "main core" (core 3 by default), and tries to focus on it. It's also been posted that setting that parameter to "0" will try to force Rift to use standard thread scheduler from the OS/driver, instead of trying to force the threads to run on third core. I changed it, but don't think I noticed much of an impact.
    Try it, wonder if it'll do anything for u. It's called "MulticoreCPU...something" in rift.cfg in %appdata%. Set it to 0.

    Also, playing with settings I found this:
    SSAO on, I max all sliders, I get 28-30 fps in a forest. And may I add, real SH**TY shadows that re-render about 3 meters around characters making it look absolutely FUBAR, like one big graphics artifact that follows u around. This is mostly apparent with tree shadows.
    Anyway, I drop Lighting Quality from 12 (or is it 16 max?) to 4-5 and I get from 30 fps to 55 fps. Just like that, 25 fps gain.

    My guess is that Rift is using a brute-force kind of method of calculating its fugly (sorry, Trion, its true) shadows/lighting, instead of using, my guess, optimized methods. Could be due to them using an old DX9 api instead of newer DX10 or 11. It's clear that in new DX11 games like Metro and BF that there are far better ways of rendering beautiful lighting without much GPU hit.

    At this point I'd say that fixing the broken lighting/shadow rendering in this game would make me happy with the FPS.
    Last edited by DarkDvr; 03-20-2011 at 01:34 AM.

  7. #7
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default

    What seemed to boost my performance was setting Maximum Pre-render Frames in Nvidia Control Panel to 0.

    My Rig:
    GTX 570 SLI
    2600K OC'd @ 4.8Ghz
    Asus Maximus IV
    8gb Ram
    RAID 0 Vertex 2 SSD
    1920x1080

    I get a solid 45 - 60 FPS but I do expect a lot more for my rig considering I can run BFBC2 @ x32 AA on Max with 100+ FPS all the time.

  8. #8
    General of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkDvr View Post
    There actually may be a Rift-enforced CPU bottleneck here. I read today somewhere that Rift was said to be "optimized for multicore CPUs", yet it seems (and confirmed by rift.cfg setting) that Rift actually gets a "main core" (core 3 by default), and tries to focus on it. It's also been posted that setting that parameter to "0" will try to force Rift to use standard thread scheduler from the OS/driver, instead of trying to force the threads to run on third core. I changed it, but don't think I noticed much of an impact.
    Try it, wonder if it'll do anything for u. It's called "MulticoreCPU...something" in rift.cfg in %appdata%. Set it to 0.
    Oh, I've already tried it. It actually lowers my frame rate by a small amount when it's not set for a specific core. The official/"blue" post on the matter stated that leaving it up to Windows might cause performance degradation due to resource/scheduling conflicts which would lower performance, and in my case it was accurate.

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkDvr View Post
    Also, playing with settings I found this:
    SSAO on, I max all sliders, I get 28-30 fps in a forest. And may I add, real SH**TY shadows that re-render about 3 meters around characters making it look absolutely FUBAR, like one big graphics artifact that follows u around. This is mostly apparent with tree shadows.
    Anyway, I drop Lighting Quality from 12 (or is it 16 max?) to 4-5 and I get from 30 fps to 55 fps. Just like that, 25 fps gain.
    On my machine SSAA is about a 20 FPS hit and lighting quality really has no effect. The shadows issue is pretty noticeable on my machine as well. I get two "scanlines" where shadow detail gets increased as objects get closer. The farthest one is where the nearest one ought to be and the nearest one is so close that by the time shadows get bumped up to maximum quality I've ridden past the object thereby rendering it (pun not intended) pointless.

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkDvr View Post
    At this point I'd say that fixing the broken lighting/shadow rendering in this game would make me happy with the FPS.
    And I'd love more consistant hardware usage. Last night I was pulling 40-50 FPS in Meridian. Now I'm pulling 30 FPS. V-synch is off, graphics aren't set to what they normally are when I only get 30 FPS in Meridian, GPU is running at 50-52% of capacity, and core 2 on my CPU is only running at 80% of capacity, yet I'm c(r)apped out at 30 FPS.

  9. #9
    Champion of Telara Forum Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Norcal
    Posts
    1,254

    Default

    More cores instead of respectable clock speed. tsk tsk. Now you're paying for that mistake.

    Also - stop comparing DX11 FPS games to DX9 MMORPGs. Apples to oranges, brother.

    You need to overclock or get a better CPU if you want higher frames in a game with as many behind the scenes calculations going on as Rift.

    Try editing rift.cfg line MainThread CPU = 3 to read MainThreadCPU = 0
    Last edited by Forum Troll; 03-20-2011 at 03:48 PM.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

  10. #10
    General of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Troll View Post
    You need to overclock or get a better CPU if you want higher frames in a game with as many behind the scenes calculations going on as Rift.
    I had a thought occur to me when I read that line. What if the CPU isn't the bottleneck, what if it's the game?

    I mean GPU's not running at maximum output, no cores on the CPU are running at maximum output, motherboard's capable of handling the load, so where's the bottleneck? The only thing left is the game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Troll View Post
    Try editing rift.cfg line MainThread CPU = 3 to read MainThreadCPU = 0
    It's probably worth a shot, but from my own testing that actually lowers frame rate. I don't have the benchmarks anymore but it was something like 1.3-1.6 FPS in Meridian where I averaged about 33 at the time to 2-2.5 FPS outside of Meridian on the same settings.

  11. #11
    Zab
    Zab is offline
    Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    516

    Default

    His dual 570's are gimped by his slow 3ghz speed. To get rid of MOSt the bottleneck on dual 570+ cards you need at least 3.5 on any i7 chip. I benchmark alot and until 3.5+ on my dual 470's i lose significant performance. With my new dual 295's i need it to be around 3.6 before i stop seeing massive gains by overclocking. 3ghz on anything other than a sandy bridge probably wont cut it for a game like rift with dual 560+ cards.

  12. #12
    Plane Touched Acharial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    201

    Default

    I made a thread about this too a couple of days ago. The memory leak is obvious but it seems to be only for ATI users. When you alt tab and go back into the game you'll have your FPS sorted, after a couple of minutes or sometimes within seconds it will drop to around 30....

  13. #13
    Telaran Wasgij's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    53

    Default

    I think you rocket scientist need to study this ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_processing_unit ... People are blowing up there Vid cards and CPU's because you idiots do not know what you are talking about .... If there was a CPU issue trust me Trion would have patched it .....

    Performance is system based and changes due to
    1. Motherboards and there Chip set's
    2. Over or Under-clocking. ( Most game's do not need OverClocking )
    3. Vid card Manufacture ... Nvidia you have BFG/PNY and many others ( I don't deal with ATI )... They use the chip-set but the rest is built by them off the series standard.

    What might work for you might damage someone else's PC ..

    You can not speak for any issue that Rift has as far as Bottle Necking Memory Leak or Code issue ..... You did not make the game therefore you do not know how it is coded.. Thats why the API has not been released yet ... As i have said in a previous post 80 % of the players have no issue ... If you are having an issue it might be local .... 30-40 FPS is just Fine for the game is you have Frame tear or Stutter you could have a heat issue... With Nvidia the driver does not control the Fan well .. There are a few 3rd party fan controllers fopr Nvidia I run EVGA's Precision . So flame on I spent 4 years on a Game rewriting code that was written in 1980 to bring a game from DX7 to DX9 ... Every MMO FPS and RPG forum has 50 of these post and they all just go in circle's ... If your issue is that bad Call them ..... I did to check a few things and they were helpful.

    So have a piece of Pie and Glass of milk ....

    Custom Gaming PC
    GTX-750 2x Samsung 24" HD Monitors
    AMD Black Quad Core 3.8
    16 Gig's Ram
    Windows 10 64bit

  14. #14
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Okay, here goes

    First of all, unless you're running multiple monitors or insane resolutions, having an x2 is useless and will only generate unnecessary overhead.

    Now. I've had exactly this problem on the PC of a friend of mine, and there are 2 things you should check.

    First of all: Disable one of the cards, take them out of SLI, and just run everything on the one card.
    Second: Check the settings of your NVidia control panel *and* the settings of your Bios and your motherboard (most mobos come with a utility for that), and make sure it is set to maximum performance, and not to something else.

    The difference here was that instead of 2 GPUs running at abour 35% with SLI overhead, the one GPU was now running at 95% (with a very audible difference in fanspeed in comparison to the original config), with much improved FPS.

    Also over-time (30 minutes seemed to be the standard, although I couldn't find that number anywhere in the settings), the GPU would not try to throttle back, but just keep running at max.

    Personally I'd never have gotten a 570x2, but gone for the 580, since the differences are negligible unless you run on 7500x1600 or so.

    Good luck!

  15. #15
    Rift Disciple Lopi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    154

    Default

    "What I expect in Rift on maxed settings: 80-120 fps without Vert sync, 60 stable with VS on."

    Not without overclocking that CPU to 4ghz+ and even then more like 55-70. BTW thats a i7 920 not I9.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts