+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Installing Client on a Mac

Soulwalker

Default Installing Client on a Mac

I tried to install the Rift client on my MacBook Pro and it keeps downloading a file that is no more than a word pad document. How can I fix this? I'm obviously not tech savvy or I wouldn't have had to post this. I'm signing in to my account and clicking the green button to download client. I get a file named RIFT_Live_Patcher_setup-1.exe but when I open it it's in word pad and says "This program cannot be run in DOS mode." I'm assuming I don't have the necessary program to open the installer. Please help a noob out!

Probably because there is no client yet available for Mac. You would have to run it in Boot Camp which is a windows emulator.

<The Chosen>
    Greybriar - US

Heres hoping your actually not a troll :P

Unfortunately there isn't a Mac version of Rift. It's opening the .exe file in wordpad because it doesn't know what to do with a windows executable.

You have a couple of options though,
    Firstly you could install windows to some free space on your mac, using bootcamp. This lets you dual-boot windows and mac, and you can then install rift to the windows partition. Note that this will require a valid windows license.

Alternatively you could buy crossover games for 40 dollars and use it to play rift. I'm doing this with my Linux computer and it works great. http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/

Lastly if you don't want to spend 40 bucks on crossover games you could build Wine from source, theres a some documentation on it here. Fair warning, this third option could be a little daunting if you're not a computer person.

Good luck and have fun.
    http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
    Surfing the net has never been so suite!

Soulwalker

I suppose I should have entertained the idea that a Mac client was not available. Thank you for the inputs. Since I'm obviously not a techy type I'm going to check into using bootcamp to run windows simultaneously. That is something I *think* I can handle Thanks again, great info!

+ Reply to Thread