+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Assertion Failed in Rift.exe.. any idea why?

Shadowlander

Default Assertion Failed in Rift.exe.. any idea why?

Ive been playing Rift since early Beta and I never had crashing issues. I did a Recovery and grabbed the latest drivers for my Video with no effect. If I reset all rift settings I can log in albeit things are choppy and the fps dances around from 8-40fps

Old system but it worked fine up until yesterday.

Athlon 4200+
    Evga GTS450
    4 gigs of Ram
    Winblows 7 32bit

Current vid Drivers
    Current DX Drivers
    Current Windows Drivers

Shadowlander

I deleted/ reinstalled all folders + updates of Rift last night. At first everything was fine then after about 90 minutes of play the FPS started to tank down to single digits and I would get the, "some items can't be displayed because of...blah..blah.. Corruption please run restore"

Corrupt after 90 minutes of play on a fresh install 0.o what is going on?

Ascendant

Why are you running the GTS in a 4X Pci-E slot? There goes 50% performance right there in an already extremely bottlenecked system.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

Shadowlander

Not a option that is what the MB has regardless I'm building a new comp when the new batch of AMD chips are released later this year.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Aura View Post
    Not a option that is what the MB has regardless I'm building a new comp when the new batch of AMD chips are released later this year.
    Your going to be putting up with superlame fps until you upgrade then, because that GTS in a 4X PCI-E slot is just fail, paired with a 4200+ is even bigger fail.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised is you are literally choking that 450 to death with it in a 4X slot paired with a 4200+.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

Shadowlander

You sir are correct, At the most I run in Medium settings but it does run.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Aura View Post
    You sir are correct, At the most I run in Medium settings but it does run.
    What mobo is that anyway? Or is it a Dell/HP box?
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

How did you get the x4 PCI-E slot from what the OP wrote?
    Ruranak - Cleric - Greybriar - Guardian :: Sacred Haven

ASrock p67 Extreme6 - i7-2600K @ 4.80Ghz O.C. - 8GB XMS3 - 2x HD6970 - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler
    Antec Lanboy Blue - 80GB SSD

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by zwimox View Post
    How did you get the x4 PCI-E slot from what the OP wrote?
    I saw him mention it in another thread he responded to.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

Quote Originally Posted by C-BuZz View Post
    I saw him mention it in another thread he responded to.
    Ahh I need to pay more attention!
    Ruranak - Cleric - Greybriar - Guardian :: Sacred Haven

ASrock p67 Extreme6 - i7-2600K @ 4.80Ghz O.C. - 8GB XMS3 - 2x HD6970 - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler
    Antec Lanboy Blue - 80GB SSD

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by C-BuZz View Post
    What mobo is that anyway? Or is it a Dell/HP box?
    Hp box with a version of the MB that isn't even listed anywhere.

I just finished building another system, I7-960 based and it was X10 faster untill the MB died

Soulwalker

To answer your posting question. An assertion fail error is a programming error. In C++ you run a section of code that uses the assert command to "test" a block of code while running it. If the assert passes it then actually lets you run the code. If it fails you get the assert error message and generally the program won't run. This could be in the rift.exe file or could be something related to rift like DirectX. Usually this stuff is turned off prior to releasing a file and is used for debug purposes though some asserts are left on like making sure you have video card memory to initialized etc.

Some things you can try - reboot - close all files related to rift and see if that works. Try installing DirectX. Also if you do - make sure you don't somehow have the debug version of DirectX as it can be picky about error messages. Do you have enough free memory to run rift? Remove and remake your pagefile on your computer - it can become corrupt and is considered memory and could cause an assert fail on start up. To follow that up run a chkdsk on your hard drive to make sure it doesn't have corrupt sectors.

Most assert failures on game startup are in some way related to gpu / main memory. Usually not enough space. Not enough space can be related to failing video memory, pagefile, main memory etc. Since this is a rare error I don't think it is related to overall game programming but rather something in your system that is causing the assert test to fail.

+ Reply to Thread