+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Low FPS on high spec PC

Soulwalker

Default Low FPS on high spec PC

WTF.
    I have i7, 8GB RAM and 5870.
    The game should run on ultra with everything on no problem.
    Bad Company 2/Vietnam/Crysis 2/other demanding games work with everything on on ultra dx11 at 60 fps min, but this works on 10-15 fps with ultra settings. cmon wtf. i have to play on low-mid setting to get 40-50 fps, like im playing on a 10 y old computer.
    i do have all drivers and everything fully updated.

are there any fixes? is patch in the works? i'm sad. such a great game.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by shockre View Post
    WTF.
    I have i7, 8GB RAM and 5870.
    The game should run on ultra with everything on no problem.
    Bad Company 2/Vietnam/Crysis 2/other demanding games work with everything on on ultra dx11 at 60 fps min, but this works on 10-15 fps with ultra settings. cmon wtf. i have to play on low-mid setting to get 40-50 fps, like im playing on a 10 y old computer.
    i do have all drivers and everything fully updated.

are there any fixes? is patch in the works? i'm sad. such a great game.
    Hopefully the game will be further optimized down the road. Trion did sell quite a few copies of rift, so they should have some scratch to do some work on the graphics / game engine in future. In the mean time, yeah, for what it takes to run this game the graphics are nothing special. It's DX9 and thus you can't get as many things for free as with DX11. SSAA seemed to be an afterthought... cities / rifts are VERY taxing on a processor... which I really don't understand because I've played other MMO's that didn't **** your processor blind in major cities (and they really aren't doing anything fundementally different).

It's a fun game... so I'm willing to stick it out... and it was high time to upgrade my ring anyway...

What resolution are you running at? You might try turning shadows from full to env only... maybe remove SSAA if you have it on...

im guessing your using a ati card atm Rift + ati = Epic Fail im using 2x asus 2gb hd6950 in Xfire mode and my fps was crap then i went and got radeon pro app and run a tweak on it MVPUMode on Alternate Frame Rendering and that took 90% of the chopyness out and made the game alot more playable

My specs
    AMD Phenom II X4 3.5
    16 GB Ram
    Win 7 64
    2x Asus 2GB HD 6950 in PCI-E X16 both slots
    750 W Powersupply
    everything in sata 6 connection

in short My computer problem no Game software/Video Card software Problem big time They need a Fix soon but you can try Cat 11.4 DL from ati and run the cap 3

You're comparing DX11 FPS games to a DX9 MMORPG.

Apples, meet oranges.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by SystemError View Post
    im guessing your using a ati card atm Rift + ati = Epic Fail im using 2x asus 2gb hd6950 in Xfire mode and my fps was crap then i went and got radeon pro app and run a tweak on it MVPUMode on Alternate Frame Rendering and that took 90% of the chopyness out and made the game alot more playable

My specs
    AMD Phenom II X4 3.5
    16 GB Ram
    Win 7 64
    750 W Powersupply

in short My computer problem no Game software/Video Card software Problem big time They need a Fix soon but you can try Cat 11.4 DL from ati and run the cap 3
    With that setup you definitely are going to be CPU limited in crowded areas. Crossfire support for the game does suck right now (ask me know I know)... but that is one thing that I'm fairly certain WILL be resolved by ATI/AMD and Trion in the near future. It doesn't really matter much though if your processor chokes in heavily populated areas...

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Meridus View Post
    With that setup you definitely are going to be CPU limited in crowded areas. Crossfire support for the game does suck right now (ask me know I know)... but that is one thing that I'm fairly certain WILL be resolved by ATI/AMD and Trion in the near future. It doesn't really matter much though if your processor chokes in heavily populated areas...
    Actually i have same cpu as him i run game just fine with a ATI HD 5870 1gb video card on ultra. It seems this FPS issues are hit or miss with most ATI cards and with a minority of Nvidia cards aswell.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by brutelas View Post
    Actually i have same cpu as him i run game just fine with a ATI HD 5870 1gb video card on ultra. It seems this FPS issues are hit or miss with most ATI cards and with a minority of Nvidia cards aswell.
    It's also hit or miss with CPUs. I've got a Phenom II 1090t OC'd to 3825 MHz. 225 FSB, 17 multiplier. Even then I'm CPU-locked in Meridian. The really squirelly thing about it is that the game isn't even running any of my cores at 100%. Hell, the last I checked at just shy of max settings (AFx2, ES AA) the game was only using 80% of my CPU's output despite being CPU locked.

There really is something about this game's engine that makes it, for lack of a better term, lazy. "Oh, 30 FPS, that's good enough. No need to use more CPU, I'll just pretend that it isn't good enough."

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Troll View Post
    You're comparing DX11 FPS games to a DX9 MMORPG.

Apples, meet oranges.
    mkay,
    WoW with dx11 on ultra with everything maxed runs 60 fps (vsync) all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Meridus View Post
    What resolution are you running at? You might try turning shadows from full to env only... maybe remove SSAA if you have it on...
    1920x1080, i have installed 11.4 beta, put settings on ultra (default) and now i get 25-35 fps. a bit better, but the game should run on 60 with vsync on no problem.
    Last edited by shockre; 03-19-2011 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SystemError View Post

My specs
    AMD Phenom II X4 3.5
    16 GB Ram
    Win 7 64
    750 W Powersupply

I think the OP might just be having some bad luck, check your drivers maybe? The reason I say this is I'm running an I7 with an ATI 5870 and get like 50-60 FPS while questing, dropping to the mid 20s in crowded areas. But I have everything except AA maxed out.
    http://www.cohesiongaming.com

Give me a place to stand and I will move the world...

Rift is not optimized and I doubt it will ever happen.
    It does not optimize every core neither does it support a 64 bit system or anything fancy.
    The game runs rather poor and well it is a take it or leave it.

It's a bit like WOW even though WOW has better support than Rift.
    The game does not need a high end spec to run on max if it where proper optimized.

Soulwalker

I have the same setup as you, and had similiar problems. After posting here, I got MSI Afterburner and tweaked up the fan settings - helped with the heat (and lag and low FPS as a resullt) immediately. Apparently the stock fan speeds are set too low. Also, getting the catalyst 11.4 beta drivers makes a huge difference. Everyone says to clean the dust out as well - I did that but had very llittle as I keep it clean. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by shockre View Post
    mkay,
    WoW with dx11 on ultra with everything maxed runs 60 fps (vsync) all the time.

1920x1080, i have installed 11.4 beta, put settings on ultra (default) and now i get 25-35 fps. a bit better, but the game should run on 60 with vsync on no problem.
    WoW is DX9 with DX11 features. It is all 7 years old on a 10 year old engine.

Apples, meet Bananas.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

Rift Disciple

Default i agree

i have a brand new 6core, 12 gig ram, dual 1 gig gforce cards and i only get like 30-40 fps, and every other game i play, i get 120+. havent tried dx11, runnin fully updated drivers and dx10 with everything on ultra

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Racedoc View Post
    Also, getting the catalyst 11.4 beta drivers makes a huge difference.
    Those drivers only make a difference if your problem is on the GPU side of things. If your problem is how the game uses, or doesn't use as the case me be, your CPU then graphics drivers won't do any good at all.

+ Reply to Thread