+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Why does Rift run so hot?

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple Shadowstalker59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    79

    Default Why does Rift run so hot?

    No other game runs so hot on my computer. I am hitting 85C after an hour of play. No other game gets me about 55C.

    Anyone have ideas?

  2. #2
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowstalker59 View Post
    No other game runs so hot on my computer. I am hitting 85C after an hour of play. No other game gets me about 55C.

    Anyone have ideas?


    same happens with me, after 70 tho my comp shuts rift down, lucky for me i have a fan on my card so i turn it to 100% loud but i tend to drown it out lol

  3. #3
    Champion of Telara Forum Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Norcal
    Posts
    1,254

    Default

    This game is more graphically demanding than WoW / you havn't blown the dust out of your GPU.

    Software doesn't make cards over heat - improper configuration / maintenance does.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

  4. #4
    Shadowlander Synthes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Troll View Post
    This game is more graphically demanding than WoW / you havn't blown the dust out of your GPU.

    Software doesn't make cards over heat - improper configuration / maintenance does.
    When did he even mention WoW....

  5. #5
    Era
    Era is offline
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowstalker59 View Post
    No other game runs so hot on my computer. I am hitting 85C after an hour of play. No other game gets me about 55C.

    Anyone have ideas?
    The game is pretty taxing on hardware in general. However, 85C for a graphics card is hot, but within acceptable ranges. It's also acceptable for CPUs.
    Era - Defiant - Byriel
    Former Owner of RiftLift

  6. #6
    Champion of Telara Forum Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Norcal
    Posts
    1,254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synthes View Post
    When did he even mention WoW....
    Didn't have to. 90% of these threads people are comparing their performance here to their performance on a 7 year old game with a 10 year old engine.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

  7. #7
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Had same problem with my ATI 5870 - then after posting here, I downloaded MSI Afterburner and tweaked up the fan setting. Made an immediate difference - from averaging around 78-80c down to around 68c. I cleaned the dust out as well, but it was immaculate. Afterburner made the difference. Also for ATI, getting the latest beta drivers (11.4) increased the frame rate a bit and dropped the temps a degree or two - much smoother since getting those. Good luck!

  8. #8
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Era View Post
    The game is pretty taxing on hardware in general. However, 85C for a graphics card is hot, but within acceptable ranges. It's also acceptable for CPUs.
    Acceptable for GPUs NOT for CPUs. CPU acceptable temperature ranges vary from 60-100c depending on the exact chip.

    Even though it's "acceptable", i'd never run my cards at 85 constantly. Within operating temperatures or not, you reduce lifespan with heat(albeit a relatively small amount), and it is a sign that the rest of your system is not getting proper airflow/cooling.


    Quote Originally Posted by Racedoc View Post
    Had same problem with my ATI 5870 - then after posting here, I downloaded MSI Afterburner and tweaked up the fan setting. Made an immediate difference - from averaging around 78-80c down to around 68c. I cleaned the dust out as well, but it was immaculate. Afterburner made the difference. Also for ATI, getting the latest beta drivers (11.4) increased the frame rate a bit and dropped the temps a degree or two - much smoother since getting those. Good luck!
    ^

    AMD cards pretty much require afterburner(or a re-flash) for proper fan control. The stock fan settings generally are nowhere near aggressive enough, and don't even approach top end speeds at 90+. Far beyond where you should end up during a bench test. Setting a manual speed works, but it's irritating when not gaming.
    Last edited by Txzeenath; 03-19-2011 at 06:39 PM.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHZ - O/C - Running 24/7 at 4.2GHZ
    GPU: 2x XFX Radeon 6970 2GB Crossfire - O/C to 935/1435
    Display: 3x ASUS 24" Monitors in Eyefinity(3240x1920)
    HDD: 4x WD Caviar Black 640gb 7200 RPM in RAID 10
    MB+RAM: GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 890FX -- Ballistix Tracer 6GB DDR3
    Cooling: Water cooled on a 3x120 rad. Running 10x120mm Yate Loons + 1x200mm Big Boy Fan

  9. #9
    Era
    Era is offline
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Txzeenath View Post
    Acceptable for GPUs NOT for CPUs. CPU acceptable temperature ranges vary from 60-100c depending on the exact chip. Even though it's "acceptable", i'd never run my cards at 85 constantly. Within operating temperatures or not, you reduce lifespan with heat(albeit a relatively small amount), and it is a sign that the rest of your system is not getting proper airflow/cooling.
    Hence why you use water cooling?
    Era - Defiant - Byriel
    Former Owner of RiftLift

  10. #10
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Era View Post
    Hence why you use water cooling?
    Actually that's why I run enough fans to re-cycle the air in my entire room through the case in just a few minutes. :-p
    Last edited by Txzeenath; 03-19-2011 at 06:44 PM.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHZ - O/C - Running 24/7 at 4.2GHZ
    GPU: 2x XFX Radeon 6970 2GB Crossfire - O/C to 935/1435
    Display: 3x ASUS 24" Monitors in Eyefinity(3240x1920)
    HDD: 4x WD Caviar Black 640gb 7200 RPM in RAID 10
    MB+RAM: GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 890FX -- Ballistix Tracer 6GB DDR3
    Cooling: Water cooled on a 3x120 rad. Running 10x120mm Yate Loons + 1x200mm Big Boy Fan

  11. #11
    Rift Disciple Shadowstalker59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    79

    Default

    This is a new machine and it is water-cooled. I was refering to some of the other newer more graphically intense games, not wow. Haven't run wow on this machine and haven't played it since I started rift beta 3. I'll check out that afterburner and see if that will help. Thanks.

  12. #12
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Troll View Post
    This game is more graphically demanding than WoW / you havn't blown the dust out of your GPU.

    Software doesn't make cards over heat - improper configuration / maintenance does.
    THIS ^

    Also, you probbably need to replace your thermal paste, its worth reapplying while you're inside cleaning off the dust.
    Last edited by Abyssus; 03-19-2011 at 06:51 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts