+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting a new desktop to play Rift

Soulwalker

Default Getting a new desktop to play Rift

Currently I have a Pavilion dv8 HP laptop that was basically built to play WoW a few years back. I can only play Rift currently on the low performance option with basically half the stuff off with 30-45 fps. My computer specs I know are not really that good for Rift so I'm not gonna post them and stuff. I was wondering though, does any of you guys have an alienware computer and would the aurora be a good buy. I know that the specs are probably above the recommended but I would like to play it on ultra settings. I don't really know what specs I would need to be able to play it smooth on ultra, I just don't want to pay over 2k for a computer that's going to abolish Rift. Basically what I'm trying to say is I don't want a computer that can run 5 Rifts at the same time on ultra, I just want to pay as little as possible to be able to play it on Ultra. What specs should I really look into getting for this? Thanks!

Soulwalker

You can build a machine to run Rift with half the money an over priced Alienware will run you. Of course if you are not comfortable building your own, then buy from a boutique.

I would like to suggest, http://www.digitalstormonline.com/

Decent prices and customer service above and beyond the norm.

But if you do build your own, go with an AMD processor, it will run the game perfectly fine and not **** your wallet. This is a directx 9 title and does not need the cutting edge intel chip to run it. A good CPU and a solid GPU will be enough.

A 965/970 BE amd chip paired with a GTX 460 1gb or up would be cheap and powerful.

I have an AMD 965 BE 3.4 stock with a 460 1gb and I run on Ultra settings 45-70 fps with about 30-35 in sanctum when it is busy.

Dont let someone talk you into spending an assload of money when something just as powerful can be had for WAYYY less.
    Last edited by moktarr; 03-19-2011 at 03:55 PM.

Shadowlander

1 x ($99.99) WIN HOME PREMIUM 7 64-BIT OEM
    1 x ($259.99) VGA EVGA|01G-P3-1563-AR GTX560 TI
    1 x ($219.99) CPU INTEL|CORE I5 2500K 3.3G 6M
    1 x ($139.99) PSU CORSAIR|CMPSU-850TX 850W
    1 x ($119.99) CASE TT| VL10001W2Z BK
    1 x ($179.99) MB MSI|P67A-GD65 (B3) P67 LGA1155
    1 x ($229.99) SSD 120G|INTEL SSDSA2MH120G2K5
    1 x ($99.99) MEM 4Gx2|GSKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
    1 x ($87.99) HD 1T|WD 7K 32M SATA2 WD1001FALS
    2 x ($189.99) MNTR ASUS|LED 23" 2MS VH238H
    1 x ($17.99) DVD BRN ASUS | DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS

1850 or so total. two monitors, Just search that stuff on newegg. Thats with two monitors, a ssd drive and a hard drive, its about 1200 if you get rid of the monitors/ssd, and is still a great build.
    Last edited by Turin; 03-19-2011 at 04:00 PM.

Zab
    Champion

Don't buy alienware like the people above said you could build a super computer for the same price that somewhat above average computer from alienware would cost.

Will AMD run the game? yea.

Is AMD "just as good" as a sandy bridge? No. Not even close. It's not even a fair comparison they are on completely different levels. Considering an I5 2500k is only $224 which is maybe $20 more from the closest AMD can come to it (there are no equivalents, however) there is little reason to settle for terrible hardware. AMD is done, bulldozer isn't even released yet and it's already beaten.
    Last edited by Forum Troll; 03-19-2011 at 04:09 PM.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

Soulwalker

AMD will run the game fine. You can get a high speed quad core for 159.00. Will it beat intel in benchmarks, nope. Will it play the game on ultra settings? Yup. Save the money from purchasing an AMD chip and dump it into a better gpu.

Soulwalker

Ok guys thx for the help!

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Troll View Post
    Will AMD run the game? yea.

Is AMD "just as good" as a sandy bridge? No. Not even close. It's not even a fair comparison they are on completely different levels. Considering an I5 2500k is only $224 which is maybe $20 more from the closest AMD can come to it (there are no equivalents, however) there is little reason to settle for terrible hardware. AMD is done, bulldozer isn't even released yet and it's already beaten.
    Agreed...

There pretty much is no reason not to go with an i5 2500k right now unless you have existing hardware that you need to use and don't want to do a fully mobo/cpu/memory upgrade.

AMD's current PII quads are more in line with 45nm intel C2Q's from a little while ago.

This being said, I really hope that bulldozer is awesome. I'm not an Intel fanboy by any means... and I'd like to see 2 companies minimum in the market. As far as right now is concerned... sandy is what you want...

+ Reply to Thread