+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anti-Aliasing?

Default Anti-Aliasing?

I just purchased Rift, installed and downloaded the updates. I enabled edge-detect from the game's setting menu, but the difference is barely noticeable. Super-sampling is too GPU intensive for my ATI Radeon 4650 HD.

Is there any way to change the AA to 4x or 8x? It's very easy to see jagged edges on my screen and it is making it very annoying to watch. My screen only goes up to 1280x1024 so I cannot increase the resolution to make it look better.

Soulwalker

I'm not sure why the only choices we have are the All-Blurring edge smoothing or the super frame rate killing super-sampling. What ever happened to simple multi-sampling 2x, 4x, 8x?

Enabling it in CCC did nothing for me so for now I just leave it off.

Quote Originally Posted by danno8 View Post
    I'm not sure why the only choices we have are the All-Blurring edge smoothing or the super frame rate killing super-sampling. What ever happened to simple multi-sampling 2x, 4x, 8x?

Enabling it in CCC did nothing for me so for now I just leave it off.
    That's what I'm trying to figure out. I want to enable 2x, 4x, or 8x multi-sampling for the game. I'm fairly surprised Rift runs on my card at 20 - 25 fps on Ultra, but the lack of good AA options makes it almost unplayable for me.

Unfortunately you cannot override or enhance the game's AA with driver level settings

People have been crying for it since beta, hopefully we will get it eventually.

You can control AF through driver level.. which is worth a couple extra frames over using it in game.

Your best bet if you really can't stand the jaggies is to turn off shadows / ground clutter and enable AA. Ground clutter in this game is a real performance *****.
    Last edited by Forum Troll; 03-19-2011 at 03:09 PM.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

Edge smoothing really lower the quality me thinks.

Currently I would suggest no AA at all, it's just ain't worth the performance loss. That's coming from a guy who forced AA on every available game since Voodoo Banshee times.

Soulwalker

To me the edge smoothing is akin to rubbing vaseline on my monitor screen. It blurs everything, jagged or not (looks very similar to morphological AA - an ATI driver option). So I just leave it off.

I agree we just have to cross our fingers for normal multisample in the near future.

Why not just do it from the nvidia control panel and select the override application setting? Or enhance??

Many people have had success with nvidia control panel overrides, or ATI catalyst CC depending on ur brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Amariah View Post
    Why not just do it from the nvidia control panel and select the override application setting? Or enhance??

Many people have had success with nvidia control panel overrides, or ATI catalyst CC depending on ur brand.
    No they haven't. Rift has never supported this, it has never worked.
    My computer

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by tersagun View Post
    Edge smoothing really lower the quality me thinks.

Currently I would suggest no AA at all, it's just ain't worth the performance loss. That's coming from a guy who forced AA on every available game since Voodoo Banshee times.
    There is no performance loss, not for some people. For those lucky many of us who are CPU-locked (explain to me how I'm CPU-locked with 6 cores at 3.8 GHz when the game is only using 80% of one core's output and 40-45% of two more ) Edge Smoothing AA will generally result in no FPS loss in many areas. Areas like rifts and Meridian. Out in the wild it can sometimes be a 1-2 FPS boost, but for me that's 1-2 over 50+ so somewhat within the realm of error.

AF is a much bigger killer of frame rate, at least on my system. AFx16 drops my frame rate from 45/46 FPS to 30 FPS. Of course it takes until AFx6 before it lowers it from 45 FPS so there's that CPU-locking issue rearing its ugly head again. CPU locked at less than 90% core utilization. >.>

I'm learning to deal with the AA quality for now. Having tons of fun at the moment in Rift. But, yeah, for those of us who don't have higher end video cards Super-Sampling does give you a significant performance hit. For me it's about 10 to 15 FPS. I

I'm just hoping multi-sampling support will be added soon. That would be great!
    Last edited by Yester; 03-19-2011 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marikhen View Post
    There is no performance loss, not for some people. For those lucky many of us who are CPU-locked (explain to me how I'm CPU-locked with 6 cores at 3.8 GHz when the game is only using 80% of one core's output and 40-45% of two more ) Edge Smoothing AA will generally result in no FPS loss in many areas. Areas like rifts and Meridian. Out in the wild it can sometimes be a 1-2 FPS boost, but for me that's 1-2 over 50+ so somewhat within the realm of error.

AF is a much bigger killer of frame rate, at least on my system. AFx16 drops my frame rate from 45/46 FPS to 30 FPS. Of course it takes until AFx6 before it lowers it from 45 FPS so there's that CPU-locking issue rearing its ugly head again. CPU locked at less than 90% core utilization. >.>

You are CPU locked because you did not edit rift.cpu to make the MainThreadCPU = 3 line to be = 0

You may have six cores, but are currently only using 3.
    My computer

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Troll View Post
    You are CPU locked because you did not edit rift.cpu to make the MainThreadCPU = 3 line to be = 0

You may have six cores, but are currently only using 3.
    A couple small problems here.

#1 I've spent about 85-90% of my time playing this game with MainThreadCPU set to 0.
    #2 When it's set to 0 the load is only spread across 4 cores at most, not all 6.
    #3 Regardless the setting is just to determine which core the primary thread(s) are run on and as such results in approximately the same usage levels with less fluctuation.
    #4 Even then there's actually a slight FPS increase when MainThreadCPU is set to some number other than 0, but one within the margin of error.

I've honestly seen no real performance difference between either setting in terms of long-term noticeable differences. What I have seen is that FRAPs indicates that having the OS bounce threads around back and forth like breasts at a Girls Gone Wild shooting comes with a small, 5% perhaps, FPS hit.

That said, somehow I'm "CPU-locked" at 80% CPU usage on the primary core. How I'm CPU-locked when no core on my CPU is running at 100% I don't know, but there it is, and as I responded in another topic it's beginning to look more and more like the game is the bottleneck, not my hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Marikhen View Post
    the game is the bottleneck, not my hardware.
    A problem with that:

1. The game runs fine on my hardware, the only difference is your own hardware.
    My computer

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Troll View Post
    A problem with that:

1. The game runs fine on my hardware, the only difference is your own hardware.
    You're presuming that the game doesn't handle my hardware differently than it handles yours. Purely as an example you could have a racist cop who lets a black guy go with a warning but gives a white guy a speeding ticket. The difference is the color of the perp, but the problem is with the cop.

When the game is just sitting there at 40-80% GPU and 70-90% CPU and there's no sort of cap on frame rate then something's not right with the game.

Where would you honestly think the problem lays if there are no internal or external limits on frame rate and neither your CPU (or at least one core thereof) or your GPU are running full out?

The game is running great for me after I tweaked it a little. I got it up to 25 - 30 FPS with Anisotropic Filtering set to max. That's really good for a 2 to 3 year old card. I enabled Edge Smoothing and it looks a little better, though I'd still prefer multi sampling.
    Last edited by Yester; 03-20-2011 at 11:20 PM.

+ Reply to Thread