+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading/replacing my laptop for RIFT - need tech spec advice please!

Soulwalker

Default Upgrading/replacing my laptop for RIFT - need tech spec advice please!

I'm considering either buying a new gaming laptop, or, if it turns out to be practicable, to upgrade my existing laptop.

I know next to nothing about such machines, but I would like to communicate to the techies at my end what I am looking for.

Can some kind person therefore please advise me what machine specs would be required to play RIFT:

a) at full specs during an invasion end-boss scene, with 100-ish players running around.

b) at minimum specs - but with no slowdown - for the same endboss scenario.

I believe that should give me upper and lower limits for what I need.

At the moment I can play solo without too much problem and I've likewise done the odd dungeon.

But currently invasion end-bosses on my machine are like watching a PowerPoint slideshow presentation.....

Thanks!
    Last edited by Motorskills; 03-19-2011 at 10:21 AM.

Default Some info

I don't have much info to offer, but this may assist you.

I play rift daily on an i7 Quad core laptop with an Nvidia 310M 1GB dedicated memory (Not shared RAM) inside. The game runs OK in low rendering mode with almost everything off. Rifts with a lot of people usually run OK, but sometimes things can get "slide-showy"

I also had the chance to try Rift on one of the original Alienware $800 laptops... you know that 13" one. Well it also had a 310M with 1GB RAM, but only a Core 2 Duo at 1.6Ghz. It ran exactly the same as the i7 machine. Low rendering mode, most things off, etc.. Had them side by side for a couple hours. I saw no performace gains going from a 1.6 Ghz core 2 duo to a 3.0 Ghz i7 Quad core

Both were running Windows 7 64 bit with 4 GB of RAM. (The alienware had DDR2 I believe.)

So it was probably a GPU bottleneck.

So it appears, and is somewhat obvious to many PC gaming enthusiasts, That what ever laptop you pick. It's all about the video card.

BTW i do not recommend an Nvidia 310M for playing Rift. It runs fine for doing EVERYTHING Rift has to offer, except Rifts themselves.

So I know it's not exactly the info you were looking for, but I hope it helps.
    Last edited by orig; 03-19-2011 at 10:46 AM.

“Oh greatest of cats, I have need of you!”

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Motorskills View Post
    I'm considering either buying a new gaming laptop, or, if it turns out to be practicable, to upgrade my existing laptop.

I know next to nothing about such machines, but I would like to communicate to the techies at my end what I am looking for.

Can some kind person therefore please advise me what machine specs would be required to play RIFT:

a) at full specs during an invasion end-boss scene, with 100-ish players running around.

b) at minimum specs - but with no slowdown - for the same endboss scenario.

I believe that should give me upper and lower limits for what I need.

At the moment I can play solo without too much problem and I've likewise done the odd dungeon.

But currently invasion end-bosses on my machine are like watching a PowerPoint slideshow presentation.....

Thanks!
    You don't give any info on your existing machine, you give no budget, nothing. Help us help you.

I will start with just a basic www.xoticpc.com
    Last edited by Maverick494; 03-19-2011 at 10:48 AM.

Soulwalker

I will be providing my existing specs in due course, still sorting those out. Although I would suggest that it is essentially unrelated to my original question.

I have a three-year-old Alienware M9700 with a 19inch screen. It's insanely heavy, and pumps out ***ushima-esque levels of heat, but it has served me well over the years. I use it solely for gaming.

My budget is substantial, but not unlimited, $1500 +/- a bit.

AFAICT, a key part of the cost is the screen, so that would be one reason for me to maintain my existing 'shell'.

So if my understanding is correct, there may be mileage in upgrading my existing laptop, but I am aware that may not be either practical, nor necessarily cost-effective. If not, I have a wide range of choices for a new purchase.

I travel all the time, so getting something lighter like Alienware's new MX11 has some appeal, but I'm not completely convinced that the screen will be big enough to get the most out of RIFT (though people I have asked seem to think it's fine).

Shield of Telara

your M9700 isn't going to be able to be upgraded enough to be worth the money spent.

Sager NP8170 / Clevo P170HM - Out Of Stock ETA March
    - 17.3" FHD 16:9 "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Glossy Screen (1920x1080)-
    - Standard Dead Pixel Policy
    - - 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM, 2.0-2.8GHz, (32nm, 6MB L3 cache)
    - -Stock OEM Thermal Compound
    - nVidia GeForce GTX 470M 1,536MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11
    - No Video Adapter
    - ~ 8,192MB DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 SODIMMS)-
    - Standard Finish
    - ~Combo 8x8x6x4x Dual Layer DVD +/-R/RW 5x DVD-RAM 24x CD-R/RW Drive w/Software
    - ~ 500GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache)
    - None Standard -
    - HDD Raid Settings - OFF
    - No Additional Hard Drive in ODD Bay - When Selecting, Optical Drive is NOT Included
    - No Back Up Hard Drive
    - NO External USB Optical Drive
    - No Back Up Software
    - No Floppy Drive
    - Internal 7-in-1 Card Reader (MS/MS Pro/MS Duo/MS Pro Duo/SD/Mini-SD/MMC/RS)
    - None Standard--
    - Built-in 802.11 Wireless B/G/N - Stock Wireless Card + Bluetooth
    - No Network Accessory
    - Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
    - No TV Tuner
    - Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
    - Basic Black Business Case - Included
    - Smart Li-ion Battery (8-Cell)
    - No Car Adapter
    - None Standard*
    - No Dock/Hub/Adapter
    - Integrated Fingerprint Reader
    - No External Keyboard or Mouse
    - No Notebook Cooler
    - No Thanks, Please do not Overclock my system (Overclocking will add 3-6 business days to build time)
    - No Operating System Standard - Drivers & Utility Software Only
    - No Office Software
    - No Software Bundle
    - 3 Year Labor* 1 Year Parts Warranty Lifetime -24/7 DOMESTIC Based- Toll Free Telephone Tech Support (Labor Warranty through Xotic PC)
    Includes FREE Shipping Both Ways for Warranty Repairs
    - No Xotic PC Gear

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8170-...wconfigure=yes

-1599 (1551 cash price)

8.6 lbs with battery, while not light, is not extremely heavy.

The other option is a 15" laptop, but you trade off the GPU upgrade you can get in that model.
    Last edited by Maverick494; 03-19-2011 at 01:20 PM.

Soulwalker

Thanks Maverick.

Your point about the smaller screen limiting the size of the GPU. Is that a problem with most/all laptops, or just this Sager range?

Soulwalker

I'm a little wary of the 11 inch screen, but here are the Alienware MX11 specs I was looking at, for $1,417.99:

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7 640UM (4M Cache, 1.2 GHZ with 2.266 GHz Max Turbo Frequency) - Overclockable edit
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit) edit
    MEMORY 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 800MHz edit
    HARD DRIVE 500GB SATAII 7,200RPM edit
    MOBILE CONNECTIVITY No Internal WWAN Antenna Installed edit

BLUETOOTH Bluetooth Module, 2.1+ Enhanced Data Rate edit
    SYSTEM COLOR Alienware M11x, Lunar Shadow edit
    My Software & Accessories
    GEAR STORE Alienware Orion Neoprene Sleeve for M11x edit
    PRE-INSTALLED GAMES Steam and Portal™ Factory Installed edit
    ALIENFX COLOR Mars Red edit
    OS CUSTOMIZATION Alien Red Glyphs edit

Personalize
    WARRANTY AND SERVICE 1 Year Premium Service Plan edit
    ENVIRONMENTAL OPTIONS Plant A Tree - Notebook, Netbook, Laser & Inkjet Printers, LCD Monitor Offset edit
    GUARANTEED BUYBACK PLAN TechForward Guaranteed Buyback® Plan for your new PC edit
    LOJACK FOR LAPTOPS 1 year LoJack for Laptops Premium Theft Protection edit

My Accessories
    ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
    VIDEO CARD 1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 335M
    LCD PANEL 11.6-inch WideHD 1366x768 (720p) WLED
    SOUND OPTIONS Internal High-Definition Surround Sound Audio (5.1)
    ADOBE READER Adobe Acrobat Reader
    AC ADAPTER Alienware M11x 90W A/C Adapter
    NETWORK CARD Integrated 10/100 Network Interface Card
    AUTOMATIC UPDATES Automatic Updates: On
    WEBCAM 1.3MP Web Cam
    NAMEPLATE Standard Nameplate
    WIRELESS CARDS Alienware M11x a/b/g/n 2x2 MIMO Wireless
    Edit: the arguably non-essential personalized extras come out to around $100
    Last edited by Motorskills; 03-19-2011 at 02:32 PM.

I'm a little wary of the 11 inch screen, but here are the Alienware MX11 specs I was looking at, for $1,417.99:

Edit: the arguably non-essential personalized extras come out to around $100
    Dude, don't get a Dell. Look at the price and features of the 11 inch MX11 and look at the features on a similarly price 15 inch laptop from xoticpc.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz RAM: 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840

GPU: Crossfired Dual XFX ATI HD 5850 PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W modular PSU Storage: Western Digital Caviar black 1 TB x2 Raid 0

Keyboard: Logitech G110 Mouse: Logitech G9x O.S.: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Soulwalker

Thanks. I can't claim to be able to compare the specs with any level of real understanding, but I will definitely show them to someone that knows!

But ignoring my budget for a moment, will the xoticpc spec listed above run RIFT on full, during an invasion end-boss scene?

(If not, I will limp on for a few more months until I can afford something that will)

I'd recommend you look at the Asus Republic of Gamers options at Amazon. I've got an old generation (as in it's not sandy bridge) with AMD mobility 5870, Blu-ray, 8 gig, 640 gig HD, 17", and it was $1300. I run with environmental shadows off base ultra. I get around 20-30 FPS fairly constantly. Note though that it has less than an hour unplugged and it's huge. Weight isnt as much of an issue as the 16" wide footprint. Though a 15" screen model is only 1" smaller. However, it may have much better battery life, as I think the monitor is the biggest cause of battery drain.

I'd say unless you absolutely need a laptop go desktop. The 5870 mobile is among the top few chips (new ones on the way but they won't be cheap), but it only matches a lower mainstream desktop card (roughly a 5770).
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

OP you keep saying "on full" do you mean max settings? Because I don't know that there is a laptop that can run Rift on max settings at least not max during an invasion.

Soulwalker

Thanks Rabbit. I travel all the time so I have to have a laptop.

The M9700 is a monster. I like the screen, but the weight is a nightmare, especially as you have to take the massive adapter everywhere as well, because it has the battery life of a nanosecond.

I've enjoyed it, but I would definitely go for something lighter in the future.

Shield of Telara

Thanks Maverick.

Your point about the smaller screen limiting the size of the GPU. Is that a problem with most/all laptops, or just this Sager range?
    no, the GPU cooling is what is limiting on the size of the laptop. If you got an 8130 you can get a 460M and the 8150 you can get the 460M or the 485Mm but not the 470M in either for some reason. Those are the 15" versions of the one I linked initially.

that alienware is a piece of junk and you will not be happy with performance. Its way overpriced as all alienware crap is.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by SWTORlooksbad View Post
    OP you keep saying "on full" do you mean max settings? Because I don't know that there is a laptop that can run Rift on max settings at least not max during an invasion.
    Yes there is. The one I linked already for starters. There are several more.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick494 View Post
    Yes there is. The one I linked already for starters. There are several more.
    If I spent another 300-500 bucks upgrading the 8170 you linked, what would you recommend spending the extra on?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast