+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best GPU cards for Rift??

Default Best GPU cards for Rift??

OK, had some Nvidia cards, GTX 2x275s, and my tech friend said to go AMD 2x6900s..(I think he put in 6950s), FPS still sucks, who's got a good GPU set that WORKS well with this crazy game??

Nvidia 580s? Running out of cash to dump into this stupid game, any help would be greatly appreciated, thnx

In most games, dual cards will DECREASE framerate, while allowing the cards to run cooler and quieter at high resolutions/settings.

Just because it costs more doesn't actually mean it's better for a given situation. SLI/Crossfire is situational. A powerful single-card or single card with dual GPU is going to perform better as far as FPS most of the time. Keep in mind, in a MMO, anything better than 30FPS is going to be very playable. More is certainly better, but anything above 50FPS is just gilding the lily IMO.

First Person Shooters is another matter...

Just my learned opinion, many others will rail at it and tell me how stupid I am. Been there, done that, I buy/build what works best for the least money.
    Formerly:
    Dizbat Squigchukka of Badlands server, W:AR
    Coaskah Aiolee of Bria Server, SWG
    Ssrogg Driblot of Errolisi Marr server, EQ

Quote Originally Posted by Acuta73 View Post
    In most games, dual cards will DECREASE framerate, while allowing the cards to run cooler and quieter at high resolutions/settings.

Just because it costs more doesn't actually mean it's better for a given situation. SLI/Crossfire is situational. A powerful single-card or single card with dual GPU is going to perform better as far as FPS most of the time. Keep in mind, in a MMO, anything better than 30FPS is going to be very playable. More is certainly better, but anything above 50FPS is just gilding the lily IMO.

Just my learned opinion, many others will rail at it and tell me how stupid I am. Been there, done that, I buy/build what works best for the least money.
    Thnx for the input, think it would be better to disable Xfire to ramp my fps a bit? Basically want to max all my graphix sliders without taking a dive when I do cluttered PvP like Black Garden, as is maxed out I can dip below 20 fps, average around 30 on Ultra, but after dumping 2,800 upgrading my stupid gaming computer I'm at a loss of what else to dump into it. I put in a better CPU (i7 975, had an i7 920), better GPUs (From Nvidia 275s to AMD 6950s) better cooling system, an SSD, etc...and my frames are the SAME on this dump game.....it's a cruel joke I think, Rift is costing me a fortune lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Belpheghor View Post
    OK, had some Nvidia cards, GTX 2x275s, and my tech friend said to go AMD 2x6900s..(I think he put in 6950s), FPS still sucks, who's got a good GPU set that WORKS well with this crazy game??

Nvidia 580s? Running out of cash to dump into this stupid game, any help would be greatly appreciated, thnx
    I run Dual ATI 5850's in crossfire using 11.4 drivers

On ultra FPS is 100-110 in world with low's around 60 in sanctum can dip down to 30

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Arhilion View Post

On ultra FPS is 100-110 in world with low's around 60 in sanctum can dip down to 30
    Ultra is not max settings, it doesn't include super sampling which is a good 20 FPS minus and it doesn't max sliders, i don't know what AF ultra uses either, but past 8x there is no noticeable difference.

Edit: To the op it's not worth trying to find cards that are going to run rift well, the engine is what's holding FPS back unless your system is 2years+ old. Nothing seems to be optimized.
    Last edited by The Serial Sniper; 03-19-2011 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Serial Sniper View Post
    Ultra is not max settings, it doesn't include super sampling which is a good 20 FPS minus and it doesn't max sliders, i don't know what AF ultra uses either, but past 8x there is no noticeable difference.

Edit: To the op it's not worth trying to find cards that are going to run rift well, the engine is what's holding FPS back unless your system is 2years+ old. Nothing seems to be optimized.
    I dont remember the OP asking for what card can run MAX settings. But thanks for trying.

Plane Touched

I bught a nvidia 460...and it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Acuta73 View Post

That's the biggest bunch of bull I ever heard. I run 2x gtx 260s and got exactly 2x performance boost in stonefield.

Make sure your PSU and CPU are maxed and SLI is fine.

anyone who trash talks SLI just has never done it before

Zab
    Champion

I run max sliders with SSAA on 2x 295's with dips into the low 40's during huge rift events. For the most part i stay between 52 and 58. Apparently i'm "cpu bound" with a i7 920 @ 4.1ghz if i lower reso to 1680x1050 or 800x600 i still get the same fps. I find it hard to believe i'm CPU bound though, same **** happened with my 2x 470's that i just replaced with the 295's.

And yes... running SLI does NOT DECREASE framerate, that is the dumbest thing i have ever read.
    Last edited by Zab; 03-19-2011 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    I run max sliders with SSAA on 2x 295's with dips into the low 40's during huge rift events. For the most part i stay between 52 and 58. Apparently i'm "cpu bound" with a i7 920 @ 4.1ghz if i lower reso to 1680x1050 or 800x600 i still get the same fps. I find it hard to believe i'm CPU bound though, same **** happened with my 2x 470's that i just replaced with the 295's.

And yes... running SLI does NOT DECREASE framerate, that is the dumbest thing i have ever read.
    That's because the Gamebryo engine's AF and AA is not optimized and relies heavily on the CPU. Believe it or not, you are CPU bound with Game AF and AA maxed.

Zab
    Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Amariah View Post
    That's because the Gamebryo engine's AF and AA is not optimized and relies heavily on the CPU. Believe it or not, you are CPU bound with Game AF and AA maxed.
    naw lowering those settings to minimum doesn't do anything either.. I get the same fps regardless of where my settings are. It really makes no sense at all. On all low settings i get 63 fps.. so like 4-5 higher.
    Last edited by Zab; 03-19-2011 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arhilion View Post

Sounds like the 11.4 Cat beta drivers may be the key then eh?

Sounds like the 11.4 Cat beta drivers may be the key then eh?
    Cant say for sure but they really improved performance on my machine.
    ASUS Rampage III Extreme - Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 4.0GHz - 12GB Tripple Chan. G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR 3 1600 - Crucial RealSSD 128GB - GTX 760 - Cooler Master 1000W Silent Pro Power Supply - Cooler Master HAF X Full Tower

Era
    Champion of Telara

Turning off projected textures improved my framerate from 10-11 to 30-35 in Meridian....although I may need that for the fire later on.
    Era - Defiant - Byriel
    Former Owner of RiftLift

Champion of Telara

Just FYI, you can flash those to 6970's. The 6950 and 6970 are the exact same cards with different bios. There are guides to do it that can be found at several websites.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHZ - O/C - Running 24/7 at 4.2GHZ
    GPU: 2x XFX Radeon 6970 2GB Crossfire - O/C to 935/1435
    Display: 3x ASUS 24" Monitors in Eyefinity(3240x1920)
    HDD: 4x WD Caviar Black 640gb 7200 RPM in RAID 10
    MB+RAM: GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 890FX -- Ballistix Tracer 6GB DDR3
    Cooling: Water cooled on a 3x120 rad. Running 10x120mm Yate Loons + 1x200mm Big Boy Fan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast