+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Low framerates, Asus 5850

Soulwalker

Default Low framerates, Asus 5850

So I'm running on a following system:

CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
    RAM: 4GB DDR2
    Graphics: Asus Radeon HD 5850 1GB, GPU Clock: 725MHz, Memory Clock: 1000MHz
    PSU: 500W (can't remember manufacturer at the moment)

No overclocking what so ever.

Unigine Heaven gave me a score of 790 with the following settings:
    Render:direct3d11
    Mode: 1680x1050 fullscreen
    Shaders: high
    Textures: high
    Filter: trilinear
    Anisotropy: 4x
    Occlusion: enabled
    Refraction: enabled
    Volumetric: enabled
    Tessellation: normal

Right now when I'm standing in Sanctum overlooking the crafters side I get around 20 FPS on Medium settings and 15 on Ultra with not much traffic around. To my understanding I should be getting way more than that with my current system.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get my FPS up without the game looking as if it was made around 2006?

Thanks,
    -V

Soulwalker

I've got a GTX280 with same CPU as you, but it is overclocked to 3.2GHz. I stay pretty steady at 30FPS in Sanctum. Pretty sure that you'd benefit from updating or overclocking your CPU.

You could try setting the screen resolution to very low and see if that changes anything to get another clue that it is your CPU.

Soulwalker

Thanks for the fast reply!

Unfortunately lowering the resolution did not improve framerates noticably. Still looking over to the crafters side getting 20-22 FPS on medium settings @ 1440x900

Edit: Overclocking my CPU is not an option since it's been locked on my motherboard.
    Edit2: Just to be sure switched to 800x600 resolution and still getting the same 20 FPS
    Last edited by Vainzki; 03-19-2011 at 08:48 AM.

Soulwalker

Have fiddled around with the settings now in Catalyst Control Center and in game aswell. Nothing short of turning everything to minimum dramatically changes the framerates. Also asked from a couple of my friends and according to them I should be getting higher FPS than that. Will keep waiting for replies..

You are severely CPU bound, try changing the resolution to 1024x768 and see if your frames improve.

If not, which it probably won't, then you are CPU bound by a mile, try a core i5 or better.

Also you didn't post ur AA settings, are you at edge smoothing or super sampling?

Rift Disciple

PSU is also pushing it too, 500W seems a bit weak, although it may not be a noticeable problem due to the weak CPU, if you upgrade your CP id recommend getting a 750W PSU.

P.S. do not forget that rift's engine is not 100% optimized on the higher quality end either.

With 3.4Ghz Quad core CPU(i7)
    ATI 6850
    12gigs ram
    Water-cooled
    1200W PSU

I get about 50FPS with everything maxed (AA at 8x through CCC no noticeable difference on frames or looks using 16x either in game or through CCC) in meridian 50+ in instances, 30 in rifts.
    Last edited by The Serial Sniper; 03-19-2011 at 12:54 PM.

Plane Walker

I have similar specs, but with some key differences.

First, at stock, 2.4 is your bottleneck. That cpu needs to be running at least at 3.2 to remove the bottleneck for the 5850 at stock.

My q6600 is overlocked to 3.4 on air using an aftermarket cooler. Stable for years.

Second, the 5850. Again, this also overclocks at the drop of a hat. My 5850 is well above 5870 specs when overclocked. Get that CPU above 3.2 to see the biggest increase and jack up the OC on the 5850, the difference is night and day.

The PSU might be a problem as well, but I can only speak to the above.
    "Ye have the stench of WoW about ya boy! It's the foul odor of sour e-peen and DPS parsers! Cleanse yourself first and then we'll talk!"

Soulwalker

Thanks for the replies, was not hoping to be having to upgrade the components but I guess it has to be done at some point

Now what I had in mind is that I would keep my current processor overclocking it up to 2.8 at least (since the new ones cost a mint), upgrade the motherboard, RAM and the PSU.

Stuff I was thinking of:

Motherboard: P5G41T-M/USB3, LGA 775, Intel G41/ICH7/GMA X4500, DDR3, VGA, USB 3.0, mATX
    RAM: 8GB Dual Kit Ripjaws DDR3-1333 F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL 9-9-9-24
    PSU: CoolerMaster 750W GX, 80Plus

Would these remove the bottlenecks from my system or would I still be in trouble with them? I have around 300 EUR to spend on this so can't really get all the high end stuff.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Vainzki View Post
    Thanks for the replies, was not hoping to be having to upgrade the components but I guess it has to be done at some point

Now what I had in mind is that I would keep my current processor overclocking it up to 2.8 at least (since the new ones cost a mint), upgrade the motherboard, RAM and the PSU.

Stuff I was thinking of:

Motherboard: P5G41T-M/USB3, LGA 775, Intel G41/ICH7/GMA X4500, DDR3, VGA, USB 3.0, mATX
    RAM: 8GB Dual Kit Ripjaws DDR3-1333 F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL 9-9-9-24
    PSU: CoolerMaster 750W GX, 80Plus

Would these remove the bottlenecks from my system or would I still be in trouble with them? I have around 300 EUR to spend on this so can't really get all the high end stuff.
    processor will still be choking your system out. it sucks but the system's weakest point by far is the proccy even after oc'in it to 2.8 =[.

If you can't afford it, the game has a low quality renderer and it doesn't look that bad at all, i use it when i play on my old computer at my friend's house since i can't carry mine around since its 100 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by The Serial Sniper View Post
    processor will still be choking your system out. it sucks but the system's weakest point by far is the proccy even after oc'in it to 2.8 =[.

If you can't afford it, the game has a low quality renderer and it doesn't look that bad at all, i use it when i play on my old computer at my friend's house since i can't carry mine around since its 100 pounds.
    GOOD LAWD!!!

Dude seriously how many radiators do you have on that beast.

@op: Look into AMD parts if you are strapped for cash, as you can probably get everything you need within your budget.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz RAM: 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840

GPU: Crossfired Dual XFX ATI HD 5850 PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W modular PSU Storage: Western Digital Caviar black 1 TB x2 Raid 0

Keyboard: Logitech G110 Mouse: Logitech G9x O.S.: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Soulwalker

Took a look into some components, especially surprised how cheap AMD products are compared to Intel ones (referring to http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html). Also found a calculator to calculate how large of a PSU I need (http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp) and according to it I'm well within my 500W limit with the following components:

CPU: AMD Phenom II Quad Core 965BE, AM3
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA78LMT-S2
    RAM: 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz
    GPU: Asus Radeon 5850, 1GB

Comments on the setup? The motherboard is quite cheap at 52 euros so I'm a bit doubtful of it. Anyone have any experience with it or can recommend a better one thats around 70-80 euros? It should be mentioned that my case is mATX.

Really appreciate the help so far guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Vainzki View Post
    Thanks for the fast reply!

Unfortunately lowering the resolution did not improve framerates noticably. Still looking over to the crafters side getting 20-22 FPS on medium settings @ 1440x900

Edit: Overclocking my CPU is not an option since it's been locked on my motherboard.
    Edit2: Just to be sure switched to 800x600 resolution and still getting the same 20 FPS
    I had the same issues as you with my E8400 at 3.45 ghz. I could go up and down through all the resoluations and my frame rate wouldn't change. I didn't think it could be my CPU so I changed from an 8800GT (about 3 years old) to an ATI 5870 and I didn't get really any improvement.

This game is very very CPU intensive, yesterday I upgraded to the Intel 2600k and my FPS went up about 30 fps, you are CPU bound, try overclocking the snot out of it.... if that doesn't work you will need a new cpu.
    http://www.cohesiongaming.com

Give me a place to stand and I will move the world...

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Alzaraz View Post
    try overclocking the snot out of it.... if that doesn't work you will need a new cpu.
    Unfortunately it seems that Fujitsu Siemens has locked up the overclocking on my motherboard's BIOS (MS-7379VP) and I haven't been able to find an upgraded BIOS for it. Someone on MSI forums asked about this particular motherboard and they said they do not offer any kind of support for OEM motherboards so I'm sort of out of options.

Edit: Just to clear up a bit my computer is Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo Pi 2666-30P.
    Last edited by Vainzki; 03-20-2011 at 02:29 AM.

+ Reply to Thread