+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Crowded Area's having a Massive Hit on FPS (Rifts,Battlefronts,Cities)

Soulwalker

Default Crowded Area's having a Massive Hit on FPS (Rifts,Battlefronts,Cities)

Hello.

Ok so heres the thing Currently I have Rift Running on Max settings (Everything but shadows which i have turned off) The game runs great around 40-50 Fps when solo questing etc. But as soon as i hit a crowded zone like a rift or a warfront my Fps takes a nose dive to around 20 fps.

So ok I thought ill just lower my gfx settings to medium! After doing this I was still going to about 20 FPS in crowded zones... So then i lowered my graphics settings to the lowest possible settings and still in crowded zones My fps Dropped to around 20-25.

I have applied tweaks to my graphics card settings updated all my drivers (Motherboard, Graphics card, Sound card, Defragmented my computer and all of that kind of thing but still no luck.

I do not understand how i can run on Max setting fine and drop to 20 fps in crowded areas and run on lowest settings fine and still drop to 20 fps in crowded areas. Any help would be welcomed as its doing my head in!

Because your CPU is insufficient. Overclock or replace, or learn to live with it.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

Soulwalker

Very helpful reply there mate! /sarcasm off
    I have no problems running 90% of new games.
    Anyone have some Ideas on what Might be causing the problem?
    Computer specs are:

Processor: Intel QuadCore 2.66GHz
    Ram: 4096 Mb
    Gfx Card: 1gb Nvidia Geforce 570GTX Over Clocked

Because your CPU is insufficient. Overclock or replace, or learn to live with it.

Your question did not change, so neither does my answer. I'm sorry you are struggling to accept this as truth, but it doesn't change the fact that it is. I am not trolling you, making fun of you, or whatever you have cooked up in your mind.

That CPU is insufficiently clocked to achieve higher performance in crowded areas. Rift is a very CPU intensive game - it uses 40% of 4 cores on my 2600k @ 5ghz - trust me, your CPU is holding you back.

This is why you can alter GPU settings and see no change in FPS. Because the GPU isn't holding you back. The CPU is.
    Last edited by Forum Troll; 03-19-2011 at 05:35 AM.
    My computer

Soulwalker

Well sorry to think someone with the name Forum Troll could be taking the pi**

Sadly I dont have the money to buy a new Computer, So looks like rift will soon hit my unintsall list which is a shame because its a really nice game.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Mckiernan View Post

Sadly I dont have the money to buy a new Computer, So looks like rift will soon hit my unintsall list which is a shame because its a really nice game.
    lol you dismiss a game because its not reaching 60fps?

i have a 4 year old gfx card and cpu, my fps knock down to about 5 in heavy crowded fights .. i live with it ..
    Last edited by Frazzle; 03-19-2011 at 06:08 AM.

Overclocking is free, bump it up to 3.2ghz and you should be fine.

Also edit rift.cfg and change the MainThreadCpu = 3 to a = 0 instead.
    My computer

Soulwalker

Sorry but I really dont get much enjoyment from juttering all over the place when theres more than 5 people on the screen, when it runs on max settings fine when out of crowds.
    How you can play a game at 5fps is beyond me! Because i cant...

Sadly I mainly got this game for the pvp side of things which means theres 90% of the time going to be alot of players in the same area.

Telaran

It's definitely your CPU. I just upgraded from a C2Q @ 3.4ghz to an i5 2500k and saw a very respectable gain (especially in crowded areas where people normally have problems due to increased demand on the CPU). Save up $400ish. For that amount you can pick up an i5 2500k, 4gb of ddr3, and a p67 motherboard. There's no need to upgrade everything. Overclock a bit in the time being. C2Q's generally have a bit of headroom.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Troll View Post
    Overclocking is free, bump it up to 3.2ghz and you should be fine.

Also edit rift.cfg and change the MainThreadCpu = 3 to a = 0 instead.
    I did Change the MainThreadCpu to a 0 and it did help abit.
    As for over clocking i wish i knew how to do that, Even the online guides confuse the hell out of me.

Telaran

Sorry but I really dont get much enjoyment from juttering all over the place when theres more than 5 people on the screen, when it runs on max settings fine when out of crowds.
    How you can play a game at 5fps is beyond me! Because i cant...

Sadly I mainly got this game for the pvp side of things which means theres 90% of the time going to be alot of players in the same area.
    hmm yep, pvp, especially port is a pain i must admit. im a steady 30-40 fps most of the time.

would have thought 20fps is quite playable tho, if not perfect.

saying that i cant even remove coinlock atm so game is totally unplayable .. sigh

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Frazzle View Post
    lol you dismiss a game because its not reaching 60fps?

i have a 4 year old gfx card and cpu, my fps knock down to about 5 in heavy crowded fights .. i live with it ..
    Magic, really, can't this guy just tone down the graphics a notch? if he cares that much about graphics i'm sure there is a window nearby.

Soulwalker

Does anyone happen to know if there is any software that would allow me to Overclock without having to enter Bios etc?

I do not know much about Bios and would rather not fiddle around in there!

Thanks in advance.

Telaran

Does anyone happen to know if there is any software that would allow me to Overclock without having to enter Bios etc?

I do not know much about Bios and would rather not fiddle around in there!

Thanks in advance.
    There are programs provided by several motherboard brands that enable overclocking from windows instead of BIOS. In general, going through BIOS is the most stable way of doing things. Setting things manually and checking them / tweaking them where needed generally results in you getting the best clocks per voltage necessary (automated functions tend to over volt).

There really is very little involved with overclocking if your BIOS supports it (what motherboard do you have)? For a C2Q you really can only adjust the multiplier and fsb. They are multi locked at the highest multi that the chip natively supports (IE: my q6600 default is 266x9 = 2400mhz). To overclock I can't adjust the multi past 9; however, I can jack up the FSB at will. For a modest overclock, you probably are only going to need to add a bit of CPU voltage and some MCH/Northbridge voltage (depending on how far you go with the FSB).

There are plenty of C2D and C2Q guides on the interwebs as the processors aren't exactly new tech. You are going to need a motherboard and cooling that supports it (not sure how far you can push the stock HSF).

Quote Originally Posted by Meridus View Post
    There are programs provided by several motherboard brands that enable overclocking from windows instead of BIOS. In general, going through BIOS is the most stable way of doing things. Setting things manually and checking them / tweaking them where needed generally results in you getting the best clocks per voltage necessary (automated functions tend to over volt).

There really is very little involved with overclocking if your BIOS supports it (what motherboard do you have)? For a C2Q you really can only adjust the multiplier and fsb. They are multi locked at the highest multi that the chip natively supports (IE: my q6600 default is 266x9 = 2400mhz). To overclock I can't adjust the multi past 9; however, I can jack up the FSB at will. For a modest overclock, you probably are only going to need to add a bit of CPU voltage and some MCH/Northbridge voltage (depending on how far you go with the FSB).

There are plenty of C2D and C2Q guides on the interwebs as the processors aren't exactly new tech. You are going to need a motherboard and cooling that supports it (not sure how far you can push the stock HSF).
    You shouldn't encourage non computer savvy ppl to mess around with the overclock settings. They can really **** up their rig permanently.

Mckiernan, I strongly sugest you don't attempt it if you don't know what to do in there. Messing it up doesn't always just involve sudden reboots or instability that can be fixed by reverting what you did, you can literally fry the CPU.
    Last edited by Chomag; 03-19-2011 at 07:40 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast