+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Memory leak?

Default Memory leak?

Anyone finding they're getting a memory leak? Ive notices after the game is open for a few hours the memory usage nearly doubles. ATM i only have 4gig on x64 which is really minimal, but it normally sits on 2.5giig / 61% used but sits on ~87% used later on, in the same area.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweaq View Post
    Anyone finding they're getting a memory leak? Ive notices after the game is open for a few hours the memory usage nearly doubles. ATM i only have 4gig on x64 which is really minimal, but it normally sits on 2.5giig / 61% used but sits on ~87% used later on, in the same area.
    Made me curious so i checked mine, so info to add (not saying yes or no to a leak) but after having rift open for 6+ hours mine says its using 631,496k memory. I have not checked what it starts out using however. This info is just a reference point for yours

Soulwalker

What are you looking at for % used? If it is Task Manager physical memory used [you don't seem to be looking at the process's memory, since that can't top 2 GB being a 32-bit app], the OS's disk cache counts as "used", but that RAM is available if a program actually needs memory, it just holds accessed parts of files so that reading from them again is faster.

Having much unused memory is like having unused CPU: if it's never doing anything, you might as well not have bought it.

In game i just have a gadget running, which i have open on a 2nd monitor. Ive checked the usage with everst pro and its correct. I have no disk cache, its set to 0bytes. I dont have an issue with how much memory i have or have not, and if i thought id benefit from having more, id fork out ~$120 and grab another 4gig. I just dont see it as necessary.

The issue i do have though is that the game uses close to an extra gig in the same area with the same amount of processes running after a few hours of usage. Quit and it drops right back to where it normally sits at idle, open it all seems normal, then when i check it a while later the usage is quite high.

There is actually a way for 32bit programs that are "Large address aware"(i think that is what it is called) to use more than 2gb of memory. If Rift is that i dont know.

"BCDEDIT /Set IncreaseUserVa X" where x is the value you want to set fx 3072. Requires ofcourse that you have that memory available in the first place.
    Core i7 920 C0 3,6ghz | Gigabyte EX58-UD4P BIOS F14k | OCZ 3x2GB PC3 12800 7-7-7-20 | MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr OC, Forceware 280.19 | Creative Fatal1ty Titanium Pro | LG W2363D 120hz 1920x1080 | Coolermaster PSU 1000watts | MAIN: 2x750gb Samsung F1 Spinpoint raid0 | Windows 7 SP1

General of Telara

I just started the client up not too long ago and it's using about 990mb. I've seen it swell to just over 2,000mb before and it often hovers around 1.5gb. I've also had a 25% drop in frame rate (same location, graphics settings, camera angle, and relative object (PCs, NPCs, etc.) activity in view) over the span of an hour and a half.

A bit of rift-squashing work, one IT run, and my frame rate in Meridian dropped from something like 48 FPS to 30 FPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Marikhen View Post
    I just started the client up not too long ago and it's using about 990mb. I've seen it swell to just over 2,000mb before and it often hovers around 1.5gb. I've also had a 25% drop in frame rate (same location, graphics settings, camera angle, and relative object (PCs, NPCs, etc.) activity in view) over the span of an hour and a half.

A bit of rift-squashing work, one IT run, and my frame rate in Meridian dropped from something like 48 FPS to 30 FPS.
    I hadnt used the riftjunkies parser for a bit with a new toon i'd rolled, memory usage stayed at what you would consider normal - bout 60% with no other apps running. Did a run before and by the end my memory usage was past 90% so it has to be that. Do you use it?

Framerate shouldnt drop a heap from low memory, it should stutter tho from h/d swapping. I dont get a lot of stuttering cos im running rift off a ssd but even with that it still starts to stutter a little. Its fixed easy enough by restarting the game, but maybe this is a reason to change to act parser

+ Reply to Thread