+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Coin lock bug for people who share a computer

Default Coin lock bug for people who share a computer

Not sharing an account.

Say husband and wife play, both have their own accounts

Husband plays and logs off. Wife logs on, wife is now coin locked

Coin lock is remembering hardware id's or something beyond IP

Tested with me and the roomates account.

We are behind a router on comcast, so our ip is not changing.

Also happens if you switch servers to play a char from your account on another server

Adding to info: Seems a per server unlock, as once you unlock on another server and go back to primary server, account remains unlocked.

Prophet of Telara

This is asinine.

Coin Lock was supposed to use geo-location when deciding to lock an account, the announcement said "significantly different area" (or something close to that.

I have two PCs, sitting next to each other, they both appear to you on the same IP address. So WHY the f*** is it that when logging from one PC to the other I get coin locked.

THIS IS CRASS. Having to deal with e-mails is an annoyance I shouldn't have to deal with simply doing what I'm doing.

Just to update, ive been in contact with trion (im not going to say how cause i dont want my contacts abused) but this has been passed onto the Dev's

I passed the link on to Devs & CS. Thanks for the input.
    Last edited by ThatTomGuy; 03-19-2011 at 02:44 AM.

Working as intended. As designed, Coin lock whitelist is per account per shard.

Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Thank you Gill, I personally am very happy with coinlock. Pulling up an email on my phone IF I get compromised beats the hell out of entering an authenticator code every time.

Any idea why i wouldnt get an email for my account? My husband got one for his account on his email but i didnt get one for mine. no email. Two different computers. ;- (

Quote Originally Posted by Junelee View Post
    Any idea why i wouldnt get an email for my account? My husband got one for his account on his email but i didnt get one for mine. no email. Two different computers. ;- (
    Did you check your junk folder?

yeah. checked junk folder. one more place i can check, but that site is down for miantance.. it shouldnt of gone to junk/spam.

Quote Originally Posted by Junelee View Post
    yeah. checked junk folder. one more place i can check, but that site is down for miantance.. it shouldnt of gone to junk/spam.
    I used to have a hotmail account forever ago and hotmail would routinely send valid email to junk/spam.

If it is working as intended, why does it keep coinlocking?

Lets call my account A
    Lets call her account B

1. On my computer, log into Account B. First time on my computer so coin lock is expected
    2. Unlock coin lock.
    3. Log out of account B
    4. Log into account A. No coin lock.
    5. Log out of account A
    6. Log into account B. This is the second time account B has logged in from my computer. Coin locked.
    7. Unlock coin lock.
    8. Log out of account B
    9. Log into account B again (even tho it has been unlocked two times now) coin locked
    10. Unlock coin lock again (3rd time unlocking, same computer, same ip)
    11. Log out of account B
    12. Log back into account B

etc etc

Something is wonky with the whitelist

Soulwalker

My husband and I have seperate computers.
    We both have verizon wireless cards.
    We both have to do coin lock each time we log into the game.
    We only play on one shard.
    going to get old really fast

I am the only person who uses my account and only person who uses my computer. No reason for my account to be coin locked every time I login.

I dont receive the email until I login, so not somebody else using my account.

I have similar issue, but feel it the best solution I have seen to this problem.

I play on Rift on my Desktop since launch, but as away for a week on a course I wanted to play it on my laptop in the hotel so installed it on there too.

This weekend now back home run up Rift on laptop and got coin locked, then remembered last run it through my mobile/tethered. So that's fine and cool so went to desktop and ran it there and of course still coin locked, so entered code and good to go.

Now what is little odd is if I use the laptop at home on my home broadband with my wireless router it locks me gain. Which doesn't make sense as it the same internet connection I use 5min ago through my Desktop PC, except that was cabled to router. Either way the external IP was the same.

Overall I think this is still a good solution and if that mean now and then I have to get an email (which is instant) to play normal end, then be it.

Lastly, for those who get Coin Locked every time, ask yourself this:
    "When was last time I updated my virus software?"
    "When was last time I did a complete PC scan?"

I ask this as my son has been brought up to do this every day and does (I check the logs). But last week he was ill a few day (3) and used his PC this week after recovering. Not being with it full he forgot to update the virus software and scan PC. He downloaded an update to some software and ended up getting 7x viruses (3 of which were Trojans). Consequence as he understood was a request to me to wipe and rebuild his windows as the virus software couldn't remove the Trojans.

Personally I like to say thank-you to Trion and with few more tweaks its still best solution I have seen for an MMO.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast