+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Copying Rift folder from one PC to another

Soulwalker

Default Copying Rift folder from one PC to another

Hi, so my cousin and I both got rift today. We live in Australia, and because of where our house is, the max download speed we reach is 100kbs. The first patch is 1.2 gig and one of us is downloading it at the moment. So if he downloads it to his computer, then puts the entire Rift folder on a HD, will I be able to copy into my C:>Program Files>Rift and then play without having to download another 1.2gigs?

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Goose View Post
    Hi, so my cousin and I both got rift today. We live in Australia, and because of where our house is, the max download speed we reach is 100kbs. The first patch is 1.2 gig and one of us is downloading it at the moment. So if he downloads it to his computer, then puts the entire Rift folder on a HD, will I be able to copy into my C:>Program Files>Rift and then play without having to download another 1.2gigs?
    I would highly recommend installing the game first, and THEN copying the files over. Installing the game will put the proper info into the registry, so as not to cause any problems with the game. Then just copy everything over, and override what's already in there. That should, in theory, give you a clean install with a fully patched client.

Telaran

Patch, try it to make sure its running fine, then copy the files to your other computers. It works fine. 6 computes here that run the game, only one ever downloaded the game or patches.

It sounds like you got the retail DVD, yes? Install the disk onto your system too. Let it patch the patcher until it starts to get the big download. Cancel at that point. You then should only need to copy his assets folder. Note though it's going to be something like 8 gig. Do you have a USB drive to copy that large a size to? Also note that moving that much info is going to take something like 1/2-1 hour or so, each direction. So unless that download is longer than a few hours you won't be saving yourself any time.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

ofo

I did it the other way around.
    Fully installed on my gf's pc, then copied it to my pc using a usb hdd, then I ran the installer.
    Installer saw the files were already there and so it only took 15-30 seconds to write some registry info.

Big bada boom I was ready to go!
    Ereshkigal@KeenBlade

+ Reply to Thread