+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Time chosen for server down time

Soulwalker

Default Time chosen for server down time

To the devs:

I know there is no such thing as a “good time” for servers to be down, but there are “worse times”.

What is not a worse time is 3am on a weekday.

What is a worse time is 1:40am on a Friday night.

For a lot of the mature gamers (and there are a few of us). Late nights on the weekend is actually a peak time for us, so locking us out at this time is really painful.

Could you please plan patches to not be at this kind of time over a weekend, weekdays is fine, and later on a weekend not great, but it is better.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Look, seriously.

They know that.

And when a patch is not the fix for "we now know why so many accounts are getting compromised", they will totally schedule it at a convenient time.

Soulwalker

May be my bad then, didn't realise it was to fix the the hacked account problem, I'd assumed that really was down to bad security on the users part, not actually a system problem.

But if it was, and they've fixed it, then it's worth the down time.

I'll read the patch notes when it's applied.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Yeah. In this one case, it turns out that it really was a software bug, and their response was textbook perfect.

Soulwalker

ok I'll bite:

Given your number of posts I'll assume that you're at the very least an early alpha tester and close to the dev team, as I've seen nothing that states, as you quote
    "we now know why so many accounts are getting compromised"
    posted by the dev team, and it's not in the patch notes (just improvements to the coin lock).

If it is just improvements to the coin lock, and it's really the bad security of the affected users that is causing them to be hacked, then the patch could have waited.

If you know something more, and it's was an inherent flaw in the system that allowed the compromising of accounts, which was fixed in the last patch, then please elaborate?...

+ Reply to Thread