+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Low GPU usage at Meridian/Sanctum

Default Low GPU usage at Meridian/Sanctum

Hey guys.

I'm getting a lower FPS at cities, apparently. But during that almost half FPS times, my GPU usage drops to 50% from 80%. So my GPU is used less, thus my FPS drops.

What is the reason behind that? Cities are CPU intensive. So my CPU gets so fulled there, that it cannot use the GPU anymore?

Or is there a hidden mechanism to make GPU's work less at crowded areas?

Thanks in adavance!

You're computer is becoming CPU-bound in those areas, as the graphics card is waiting for the CPU to sent it more stuff to render.

There's really no way around this, except to buy a fast CPU so that it can process the city data (characters, npcs, etc) faster and get the data to the GPU faster. But there's nothing really wrong with your computer if you're seeing this kind of behaviour.
    Last edited by MadHouse; 03-18-2011 at 05:45 PM.

Thanks mate..

just cannot decide if I shall upgrade my Phenom 720 or not :P Lagging at cities is no problem for me, outdoor zones are my priority and there I HOPE the 6950 will be the cure..

Soulwalker

I have a Core i7 @ 4ghz and dual 6870s, and I still lag in Sanctum. By lag, I mean I can drop to 25-30 fps. Anything under ~50 fps doesn't really feel smooth to me.

So I wouldn't bother upgrading your CPU, unless you're getting extremely low FPS of course. Wait until Trion optimizes the engine a good bit more and see how that goes, first.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by tersagun View Post
    Thanks mate..

just cannot decide if I shall upgrade my Phenom 720 or not :P Lagging at cities is no problem for me, outdoor zones are my priority and there I HOPE the 6950 will be the cure..
    I've got a 6950 too... I can tell you that I just swapped out a q6600@3.4 for an i5 2500k@stock (didn't play with it overclocked yet) and saw a noticeable increase in frame rate in meridian. GPU usage was around ~40% typically with the q6600 and is now ~90% with the 2500k. I actually might even slip my old pair of 4850 1gb cards back in to see how they perform with the new processor.

In a nut shell, as stated above... you are processor bound especially in high traffic areas. Likely, you are actually CPU bound everywhere. My 6950 never really hit high usage anywhere even with 1920x1200 @ ultra settings or max sliders... with the q6600 anyway. Sandy will do you good... but if you want to see what AMD has up their sleves... Bulldozer should be around eventually (by summer hopefully).

+ Reply to Thread