+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Repetitive Cyclical FPS Issue

Soulwalker

Default Repetitive Cyclical FPS Issue

Hello,

I just figured I would post here since i am not sure what is wrong or how to fix it. The game runs fine, except occasionally (more often lately) My FPS will be fine and then go all the way down to like 2 FPS where it will stay for ~2 minutes, then it will revert back to my normal FPS. This will then repeat. It is really annoying.

I have tried reducing all of the video settings and it does not seem to matter what video settings I have on. I am running a Sony VAIO Z notebook (which is not ideal, but as far as a notebook goes, is very good).

Any ideas? Thanks!!

Soulwalker

Any thoughts?

I'd guess either laptop specs, like low CPU, low ram, and a 5200 RPM drive, or it could be your modem/router (as you wouldn't notice that kind of choke on anything but pure streamed video (note nearly all video is buffered, not a pure stream), or your harddrive is going bad and starting to fail.

What are the specs? Have you tested it with HDTach? What about other games? Are you running on battery power and hitting some odd powersave feature?
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

Soulwalker

Check task manager to see if some other program is doing something during those times.

And post some info besides "hey guys i got low fps, why?"

Quote Originally Posted by ThatTomGuy View Post
    And post some info besides "hey guys i got low fps, why?"
    Thats funny i took away more from it than that. Maybe you should have a proper read, or even just not post crap that of no use to anyone.

To OP. If your having a cycling fps problem chances are your lappy is overheating.. i had this problem with an old one i had years ago and finally tracked it down to it overheating. Intel cpu's wind back the multiplier to reduce the clock speed, and then temps when they get hot. The cycling was it downclocking cooling down, going back to normal speed and then overheating again - and so on.

Get a program like HW monitor pro (temps) & CPU-Z - which should give you your bus, multiplier and core speed amongst other things. Run them and game, and have a look. From memory my core 2 duo notebook downclocked at 85c or so.

If that is the problem, make sure you're using it on a hard surface and have airflow underneath the notebook. Coolers work well even if you have no fan intakes on the underside, if you do its even better. If you do have vents on the bottom make sure they're never blocked. If you're semi-handy you can open it up and clear out any dust from the fan, intake vent, and heatsink(s).

Notebooks arent built for gaming so they're sometimes better ovens than they are at keeping cool. Rift is pretty demanding on your cpu/gpu so its going to get hotter than normal, having a notebook will only make this more of a problem. There are other solutions if it is overheating and you've done everything you can to keep it cool. My suggestion is to go to a notebook forum (have a search on google) and get some advice there as your less likely to get responses like get a desktop, notebooks are ****e etc.
    Last edited by Tweaq; 03-19-2011 at 03:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweaq View Post
    Thats funny i took away more from it than that. Maybe you should have a proper read, or even just not post crap that of no use to anyone.

To OP. If your having a cycling fps problem chances are your lappy is overheating.. i had this problem with an old one i had years ago and finally tracked it down to it overheating. Intel cpu's wind back the multiplier to reduce the clock speed, and then temps when they get hot. The cycling was it downclocking cooling down, going back to normal speed and then overheating again - and so on.

Get a program like HW monitor pro (temps) & CPU-Z - which should give you your bus, multiplier and core speed amongst other things. Run them and game, and have a look. From memory my core 2 duo notebook downclocked at 85c or so.

If that is the problem, make sure you're using it on a hard surface and have airflow underneath the notebook. Coolers work well even if you have no fan intakes on the underside, if you do its even better. If you do have vents on the bottom make sure they're never blocked. If you're semi-handy you can open it up and clear out any dust from the fan, intake vent, and heatsink(s).

Notebooks arent built for gaming so they're sometimes better ovens than they are at keeping cool. Rift is pretty demanding on your cpu/gpu so its going to get hotter than normal, having a notebook will only make this more of a problem. There are other solutions if it is overheating and you've done everything you can to keep it cool. My suggestion is to go to a notebook forum (have a search on google) and get some advice there as your less likely to get responses like get a desktop, notebooks are ****e etc.
    Could be everything you said.

Could also be old drivers.

Could also be a running background process.

You posted good info, just i dont go in depth if not much info is posted simply because if hes got say a dvd ripping in the background, then all of what you typed was in vain

Soulwalker

Thanks for the advice. I could have gone into more detail, I apologize.

Ill have to check on the overheating.

Other info:
    1. Had already checked taskmaster, nothing else using CPU besides Rift (would stay at 20-26% even during these episodes). No other intentional background processes going (besides occasionally a browser open)

2. Processor: intel i7

3. Harddrive: SSD

4. GPU: NVIDIA GT 330M

5. RAM: 4 GB

6. OS: Windows 7

7. Fan: on the side of the computer (but i still should try a hard surface still; good suggestion)

Hmm, thats all I can think of at the moment as far as further info.

It is just weird. I expected it to be a GPU issue (typical notebook concern); but even if i turn the video settings way down, the same problem happens just it is less pretty to look at while im stuck
    Last edited by Komse; 03-19-2011 at 04:38 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by ThatTomGuy View Post
    Could be everything you said.

Could also be old drivers.

Could also be a running background process.

You posted good info, just i dont go in depth if not much info is posted simply because if hes got say a dvd ripping in the background, then all of what you typed was in vain
    Ignore this guy, he's being much less than helpful to your issue.

I am inclined to agree with the other poster that your problems are most likely due to overclocking. Generally driver-related problems would lead to consistently bad FPS or severe drops during periods of heavy rendering, not cyclical problems like you have described.

You may be able to disable the "throttling" feature of your notebook in the bios (It should be called something like speedstep, and/or AMT) but beware that this can lead to hardware damage if you components are let to run at extremely hot temperatures. I would only use them as a troubleshooting step.

Honestly, and I know you don't want to hear this, but if you plan on continuing PC gaming then you will want to seriously consider saving up some cash to build a desktop PC that is designed to handle the heavier loads that modern games require. You can put together a very solid PC for about $600 but if you dont have the expertise then one can be bought for a bit more.

Check out this article for a good budget build (if it can run Crysis 2, then it can certainly run Rift):
    http://www.geforce.com/#/Optimize/Gu...-for-under-600

There are some very affordable gaming PCs available from Cyberpower PC if you don't want to build one:
    http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

There are plenty of other manufacturers out there that sell pre-built PCs but I find Cyberpower to be one of the least expensive brands that use quality components and come with a solid warranty.

Rift Disciple

Sounds like an overheating problem. Get a cooling pad if you already do not have one.

+ Reply to Thread