+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Having Overheating issues

Soulwalker

Default Having Overheating issues

I am having issues with my laptop overheating when running Rift on Higher end settings, the only reason I bring this up as an issue is that I could play as long as I wanted to in the Beta on the highest Graphic settings without a problem, I am using a G73JH laptop, I have an i7 processor and 6 GBs of Ram with an ATI 578700 Raedeon Graphics card, yet lately when I try to run the game on a higher setting my Computer overheats about an hour into playing, so I was wondering if anyone has been having these same issues or if there is something I can do to help it, I have a cooler and everything so Im rather Perplexed at the problem esspecially considering the fact that I had no problem running the game on full during the Beta, so anyone that can help me I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks in advance

If the vents are near the back/bottom of the laptop (they usually are), try propping the back up slightly on a book

You would be surprised how large of a difference that can make.
    Last edited by Atranox; 03-18-2011 at 04:58 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Atranox View Post
    If the vents are near the back/bottom of the laptop (they usually are), try propping the back up slightly on a book

You would be surprised how large of a difference that can make.
    Thanks I will try that, however my laptop is on my lap most of the time so then should I try and keep it on a solid surface more?

I have a g73 too, the vents are at the back, or as my girlfriend calls em the "stealth girlfriend melting engines"
    buy a laptop cooling pad that has fans directing air up towards the bottom of the laptop. The reasons for this is the video card and memory are dead center of the board and are vented. It will blow air directly onto them and help allot! one that holds it a inch or two off your lap is a good idea also so you dont melt your knees.
    You can also hit the middle lit button top left and turn the processor down from i7 to i5, the game doesnt really suck enough power to need it cranked up and it helps heat allot.

Soulwalker

Hey mate, did you ever find a fix?

I'm running a mid-grade gaming laptop too, and had no issues running Rift on high settings during the beta. However, now my laptop overheats and straight up turns itself off at minimum settings. This is an absolute issue; I bought the game because I was asked to raid, but it can't even handle itself leveling in low zones. The game is currently, more or less, useless.

Rich Aemry

Quote Originally Posted by OwnedByCats View Post
    I have a g73 too, the vents are at the back, or as my girlfriend calls em the "stealth girlfriend melting engines"
    buy a laptop cooling pad that has fans directing air up towards the bottom of the laptop. The reasons for this is the video card and memory are dead center of the board and are vented. It will blow air directly onto them and help allot! one that holds it a inch or two off your lap is a good idea also so you dont melt your knees.
    You can also hit the middle lit button top left and turn the processor down from i7 to i5, the game doesnt really suck enough power to need it cranked up and it helps heat allot.

Cooling pads will damage that laptop (best friend did it) due to the very different ventilation system. I brings in air from the front and vents from the back. Blowing air at the bottom will blow dust into the RAM and then actually interfere with the intake in the front. You should have a PC shop check that G73 for dust (if you can't) which will kill them. Dust is the primary cause of their failure.

If you are free of internal dust either spread your legs and quit blocking the air intake or buy a lapdesk to quit blocking the air intake. BTW setting it on the couch or bed will overheat it by blocking that same air intake.

Also twin turbo is an overclocking system not an underclocking system. Disabling it returns it to stock speed not an i5.
    Last edited by Rich Aemry; 04-04-2011 at 01:29 AM.

+ Reply to Thread