+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need advice from someone who knows alot about computers...

Soulwalker

Default Need advice from someone who knows alot about computers...

Ayoo so my PC runs rift OK i guess on low settings but i kinda feel like running rift on such low settings is ruining the experiance for me a little so im wanting to know what i can do to my PC to run rift on a higher Setting so it also runs alot smoother and improves the experiance for me i am currently running...

AMD Phenom(tm) 8550 Triple core processor
    4.00 GB RAM
    Nvidia Geforce G210

What can i do/change on my that will improve playing RIFT thanks for your time.

Things I need to know:

What your power supply is.
    What OS you are running (especially if it is 32 or 64 bit)
    What your budget is.
    What speed and what amount of PCIe slots your motherboard has.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

Soulwalker

Higher graphics settings usually (read: most of the time, not always) relies on the graphics card. Personally, I have a GTX 460 and it could run at max (even though I personally have a few sliders about halfway to improve FPS).

So bottom line, upgrading your graphics card even slightly will improve capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by AyoTJ View Post
    Ayoo so my PC runs rift OK i guess on low settings but i kinda feel like running rift on such low settings is ruining the experiance for me a little so im wanting to know what i can do to my PC to run rift on a higher Setting so it also runs alot smoother and improves the experiance for me i am currently running...

AMD Phenom(tm) 8550 Triple core processor
    4.00 GB RAM
    Nvidia Geforce G210

What can i do/change on my that will improve playing RIFT thanks for your time.
    Not much. My spec is literally twice, or 3x as fast as yours and I can only run it at high with 30fps

http://www.twitch.tv/Screamoaktown - Live streaming 5v5's
    Skreamo@Greybriar
    <Wasted Talent>

Telaran

Your core specs are as good as/better than mine but my Gcard is better.

Recently purchased a GeForce 550GS, it's running all my games in high/max settings with no FPS issues.
    "Don't disappoint me, or I'll make you wish you could die." -GlaDOS.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosseman View Post
    Your core specs are as good as/better than mine but my Gcard is better.

Recently purchased a GeForce 550GS, it's running all my games in high/max settings with no FPS issues.
    550 is a terrible budget card, lying in threads like this helps nothing.
    Last edited by Forum Troll; 03-18-2011 at 03:46 PM.
    My computer

Soulwalker

Thanks for the replies so basically the most important thing is to get a better graphics card , i heard my graphics card isn't designed for gaming so ill look into a Nvidia Gaming graphics card tyty.

Quote Originally Posted by AyoTJ View Post
    Thanks for the replies so basically the most important thing is to get a better graphics card , i heard my graphics card isn't designed for gaming so ill look into a Nvidia Gaming graphics card tyty.
    This is why I asked what power supply you had. Just popping a new GPU into your moms old dell isn't going to work if it has the standard 300 watt power supply.
    My computer

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Troll View Post
    This is why I asked what power supply you had. Just popping a new GPU into your moms old dell isn't going to work if it has the standard 300 watt power supply.
    Ok how do i check what power supply i have??? cus i dont know?
    the PC aint reli that old either 2 years old.

You need to open it up and look on the box that you plug the power cable in to.
    My computer

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Troll View Post
    You need to open it up and look on the box that you plug the power cable in to.
    Ok so if its 300 watt there basically no point might aswell save up and buy a new PC ,
    but if its higher than 300 watt then buying a new graphics card will help alot?

Rift Disciple

Open it up, note down the output w and then come back and post that here, if you have the box or any details on what motherboard you have that will help too, basically get as much information as you can, then the more savvy guys on here can maybe not just blandly say get a better gfx card or what ever, but possibly advies you with more specific recommendations of a few upgrades to consider.

Whatever graphics card you are looking for will state how large of a power supply you need / 12v rail.

If you can't feed it enough electricity you can't run it. You can always upgrade the power supply too - which aren't too expensive but a real pain to install if you don't know your way around your computer.

Just saying, before you go shopping for a graphics card - make sure you can give it enough electricity.
    My computer

Telaran

Yes a new graphics card will help a lot.

You won't need to buy a new computer (but if you can afford one, why not?) to update the graphics card.

If you're PSU doesn't have enough power, you can buy one of those, they do not cost much (20 or so) however, I would advise on getting it fitted by someone as they aren't super straight forward. That would probably cost around 20-25 bucks depending where you go to, again..I advise getting the place you buy the GPU (graphics card) from to do it, they might discount you.

Rift runs around 33 FPS on ultra for me, and I am only dual core (AMD Phenom II x2 550) and 4 gig of RAM. It's a fairly new computer but I didn't get a great card with it (ATI 5770) at least..don't think it's that great, I planned to get a new card when I got the computer, I just didn't get round to it.

There are a lot of other factors involved in your FPS as well though, right down to your desktop and background programs. I really don't get how people can have such low frame rates with better computers, that said..I don't have supersampling on.

You could download these programs:-

CPU-Z and HWiNFO32. Both free and will tell you everything you need to know about your computer (Just google them). How many PCI slots you have, motherboard etc etc etc. (Don't think it says your PSU power though)

Also, you can "probably" just look on the back of the computer where the kettle lead goes to see the power of it without having to open it up...if you're lucky.

And as my question;

is it for certain that if my CPU is at 80% usage most of the time, it slows me down? Or CPU will be on about 70-80% mark even if you got some i7 ones?

I've got a Phenom x3 720 with a 5850 and both CPU and GPU is at 80% on outdoor zones. I'm buying an 6950 but not sure if the Phenom can keep up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast