+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best Graphic Cards to run Rift

Soulwalker

Default Best Graphic Cards to run Rift

Hello i am getting a new custom pc built from origin pc and i would like to know the best card that can run rift with settings maxed while still maintaining a high fps. Currently thinking of a single nvidia GTX 580 or dual nvidia GTX 560 ti . I am on a budget too. Thanks for any help (on my old comp i am playing with 3-5 fps lol)

Right now this second? 580. 2 years down the line? ATI will catch up with drivers and Trion will clean stuff up so a 6970 would seem like a "budget friendly" choice while still having the horsepower and futureproof technology that you seek. The 580 is expensive.
    "I love being a father, but there are some things I miss: Silence, the absence of noise, one single moment undisturbed by the sounds of a childrens’ TV program called Doc McStuffins. There is no quiet anymore, there is only Doc McStuffins.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Randomm View Post
    Hello i am getting a new custom pc built from origin pc and i would like to know the best card that can run rift with settings maxed while still maintaining a high fps. Currently thinking of a single nvidia GTX 580 or dual nvidia GTX 560 ti . I am on a budget too. Thanks for any help (on my old comp i am playing with 3-5 fps lol)
    I'd go single 580 personally.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick494 View Post
    I'd go single 580 personally.
    As someone who always tries to xfire or SLI I highly suggest single card as well. I love love love the idea of xfire and SLI but inevitably problems arise with them far more often than single card options.

Soulwalker

Thanks for the fast and helpfull replys! I will be going with the single gtx 580 for now. And upgrading to sli 580 when the price for 580s goes down.

Zab
    Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Randomm View Post
    Thanks for the fast and helpfull replys! I will be going with the single gtx 580 for now. And upgrading to sli 580 when the price for 580s goes down.
    I just replaced my 2x gtx 470's with 2x GTX 295 Red editions and i've got all sliders maxed +SSAA and i'm getting 58 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    I just replaced my 2x gtx 470's with 2x GTX 295 Red editions and i've got all sliders maxed +SSAA and i'm getting 58 fps.
    It's awesome super sampling is working well for you. Hopefully cata 11.3 drivers will fix the gradual fps drop in RIFT amd gpus are having.
    Are you averaging 58 fps in every area (i.e. outdoors, dungeons, crowded capital cities)?
    What's your PC specs?

I'm running the following:

MSI P67A-GD65 mobo
    i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (stable)
    2x 6950 xfire (w/6970 bios, 920/1400 clocks) cata 11.2 drivers
    8gb Corsair Dominator ram @ 9-9-9-24 2T
    Corsair HX850W Pro Series PSU

I run the game with all sliders maxed except for ground oject density and anisotropic fitlering. Ground ojbject density is set at 5, and AF is 15. Turning AF to 16 reduces my fps in all areas by approximately 5-10 fps so I keep it at 15. Ground object density only lowers my framerates in outdoor zones, however it drops fps by as much as 15fps. I have AA on but I use edge-smoothing over super sampling. Otherwise I get a gradual decline in fps from 60+ to roughly 20. If I alt+tab from the game, my fps rise above 60+ fps for a little while before falling again.

Zab
    Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Arkaday View Post
    It's awesome super sampling is working well for you. Hopefully cata 11.3 drivers will fix the gradual fps drop in RIFT amd gpus are having.
    Are you averaging 58 fps in every area (i.e. outdoors, dungeons, crowded capital cities)?
    What's your PC specs?

I'm running the following:

MSI P67A-GD65 mobo
    i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (stable)
    2x 6950 xfire (w/6970 bios, 920/1400 clocks) cata 11.2 drivers
    8gb Corsair Dominator ram @ 9-9-9-24 2T
    Corsair HX850W Pro Series PSU

I run the game with all sliders maxed except for ground oject density and anisotropic fitlering. Ground ojbject density is set at 5, and AF is 15. Turning AF to 16 reduces my fps in all areas by approximately 5-10 fps so I keep it at 15. Ground object density only lowers my framerates in outdoor zones, however it drops fps by as much as 15fps. I have AA on but I use edge-smoothing over super sampling. Otherwise I get a gradual decline in fps from 60+ to roughly 20. If I alt+tab from the game, my fps rise above 60+ fps for a little while before falling again.
    it seems to fluctuate between low 50's and 62 which is fine with me.

My specs
    i7 920 @4.1 HT enabled 205bclkx20
    12gb kingston hyperx @1640 2:8
    4x velociraptors in raid 0
    2x 295 red editions
    corsair HX series 1000w modular psu

I haven't really played around with rift that much yet as i had real life to deal with after i got them in the mail. I was on for about 30-45 minutes and i never saw my fps go down below 50. I went into all three warfronts available at lvl 43 and did two rifts with 20+ people so i'd say my fps are pretty set in stone. All sliders are maxed with SSAA. My 30-45 minutes of testing was at stock clocks and i have since overclocked them quite a bit. My friend that i got them from said he had them running over 840 core clock.. from stock 576. Right now i have them Furmarking at 780 core for the last 45 minutes. No heat issues lockups or artifacts thus far.
    Last edited by Zab; 03-18-2011 at 04:11 PM.

I use a single OC'd 580, average 45-55 fps max settings with SSAA enabled.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

Zab
    Champion

I'm not even going to bother logging into rift again until i know how far i can push these 295's once i figure out max core/shader/memory i'll give it some more extensive testing and see where i end up.

+ Reply to Thread