+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ventrilo Server affects on Rift and Security

Default Ventrilo Server affects on Rift and Security

If I set up a Ventrilo Server on the PC that i use to play Rift will that cause a noticeable drop in performance, it's a pretty decent PC built about a year ago although i do not remember and specs except my case is awesome, but that's irrelevant. I'm also wondering if Vent will leave me too vulnerable to any attacks. I play at my local LAN center with about half of my guild anyway so the vent will be no bigger than the free 8 slot server. Could this also affect the PCs other than my own since I'm running through the same router? This will be the first vent server I make and I'm certainly not a "IT security Professional" like so many of you on this forum are. Anyway just looking for some input. Thanks in advance.
    Rigel of Harrow
    -THE RUFFIANS-
    Either this, Or Upon This.

Rift Disciple

At worst someone will hijack your vent channel but since you're hosting it on your PC it's no big deal. You have nothing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Trystane Martell View Post
    At worst someone will hijack your vent channel but since you're hosting it on your PC it's no big deal. You have nothing to worry about.
    Yeah I was never worried about a hijacked vent, I'm just sick of paying someone else to host. So you don't think I have to be concerned about an open port for vent? I run avast and some other stuff, but I've never had to really deal with any traffic coming my way since before i decided it was smart to run antivirus and what not. I don't even know if that would be related. Would I have to drop my firewalls or just open one specific port for people to connect through? On the tutorial I read there was something about port forwarding, but it didn't go into much detail.
    Rigel of Harrow
    -THE RUFFIANS-

Self bump. Anyone else have anything for me?
    Rigel of Harrow
    -THE RUFFIANS-

+ Reply to Thread