+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AT&T Bandwidth Cap

Soulwalker

Default AT&T Bandwidth Cap

On May 2, 2011, AT&T is going to impose a bandwidth cap.
    http://www.att.com/esupport/article....id=ikcr_kzPlg0

Now, I don't have any idea that Rift is going to make my bandwidth go beyond this cap. Especially compared to 2 PS3s, 2 Wiis, Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, 4 laptops regularly running and all of the phones in my house using wifi. But the cap does lead to some questions. How much bandwidth does Rift use, say... per hour? I also run a regular Rift LAN party at my house. 3 - 4 people. How much will that use per hour?

Thanks for your help.

Telaran

I'm using torrents hulu and everything day in and day out and I don't even come close to 150gbs a month as is my roommate

I somehow doubt you're going to manage that per month and if you are then I'm sure you can work around it easily enough ;p

Rift Disciple

Bandwidth or data usage. Don't need much bandwidth for games. I ran with 128k for a long time and don't see any increase in performance with 15m.

A friend of mine mentioned something about this. It's my understanding that the bandwidth cap is more intended to stop people from pirating massive amounts of media and that games shouldn't hit the cap. I'm no expert, though.

Ascendant

It's pretty much impossible to hit most major ISP bandwidth caps unless you pirate an insane amount of movies. I stream a ton of HD video and purchase most of my PC games via digital download and never even come close to halfway.

Telaran

Ignore my earlier post, looks like we're blowing past their 250GB/Month limit with flying colors. Combine this BS move of theirs along with their 8-10 phonecalls a month asking us if we want to subscribe to television as well and we see no reason to stick with AT&T anymore.

RIFT Guide Writer Sinfullysweet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uiluri View Post
    A friend of mine mentioned something about this. It's my understanding that the bandwidth cap is more intended to stop people from pirating massive amounts of media and that games shouldn't hit the cap. I'm no expert, though.
    That is good to know, husband and kids play a lot online on their console games, and I worried about that when I saw it.

(anything stopping pirating is good though!)

Sinfullysweet of Grievance on Wolfsbane
    PLAY ~*~Twitter ~*~ Raptr ~*~ Sinfullysweet's Steam ~*~ Sin's Xbox Profile
    WorldofWardrobes.net is no longer available due to hosting issues *RIP*.

Default t&t IS OFFERING THEIR OWN VIDEO STREAMING SERVICE, AND THE CAP DOES not APPLY TO IT.

No, games like this will not be a major issue. There really isn't that much data that needs to move back and forth; most of it is already on your hard drive.

The biggest problem with a data cap like AT&T's is for people that use Netflix or similar. A single movie from them can run 1 Gig and half or so, and hard core users will eat up a lot of their data allotment this way. Coincidentally, AT&T is offering their own video streaming service, and the data usage cap does NOT apply to it. Interesting, no? Though not Rift related, so I'll just leave it at that.

One day on Hib/Guin, the Hibernians finally defeated the Dragon and the Gods were so startled they caused the sun itself to go Supernova.

Caps have been in place in Canada for years.

They are actually in a big nation wide fight over fair usage laws atm. But that is besides the point.

That link is useless - so I will assume that your going to get different packages much like we do, ie:

25gig / 60gig / 125gig / etc

I will try to break it down for ya :

- 2 PS3s : Just playing games - next to no bandwidth. Downloading DLC packs - would depend on the DLC pack size.

- 2 Wiis : See above

- Netflix : Depends on movie size. Standard .avi format = 700mb, higher quality can reach 1.4gig. Standard DVD is 4.3gig, Bluray 4.4 to 7.2gig.

- Hulu : 30min Show / Cartoon = 150-180mb, Full hour show = 350mb, HQ full hour show (think HBO/Showtime) 560mb > 700mb

- Youtube : Depends on the quality it's viewed at. if the clips are under 10minutes at standard resolution your under 10mb usually.

- 4 laptops regularly running : general web surfing? power using? really depends. General surfing = almost zero usuage. (ie: emails, news site, etc)

- all of the phones in my house using wifi. : near zero usage

- Rift LAN party at my house. 3 - 4 people. How much will that use per hour? : If everyone is patched, and you played for a total of 8hrs or so - probably somewhere in the ballpark of 100mb to 300mb (total up and down)

You really need to be able to guage for yourself what you use on a day to day basis and then factor in what you'll need to purchase as a bandwidth cap plan.

Personally I allot myself about 3gig per day, up and down. Some days are much less, some days much more. Really depends on what I am doing.

I run on a 125gig per month plan and never have an issue.

Soulwalker

my isp has had a 100 gig cap for at least a year (local cable company). i play 2-3 accounts at once in most games and use streaming media for all of my music/tv and that alone comes nowhere near the cap. only time i overshoot the 100 is when downloading high res movies on top of normal bandwidth usage.

RIFT Guide Writer Sinfullysweet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tertius View Post
    No, games like this will not be a major issue. There really isn't that much data that needs to move back and forth; most of it is already on your hard drive.

The biggest problem with a data cap like AT&T's is for people that use Netflix or similar. A single movie from them can run 1 Gig and half or so, and hard core users will eat up a lot of their data allotment this way. Coincidentally, AT&T is offering their own video streaming service, and the data usage cap does NOT apply to it. Interesting, no? Though not Rift related, so I'll just leave it at that.
    Oh HELL I forgot we had netflix on top of all the games. Now that sucks! (will have to see how this pans out for the next month)

Sinfullysweet of Grievance on Wolfsbane
    PLAY ~*~Twitter ~*~ Raptr ~*~ Sinfullysweet's Steam ~*~ Sin's Xbox Profile
    WorldofWardrobes.net is no longer available due to hosting issues *RIP*.

God my plan sucks.... 10gigs per month? Canada sure is failing me

www.RiftSalvation.com

Clue 50- Cleric - US Deepstrike

To clarify the bandwidth caps are not realistically the usage from everyday gaming or the occasional download.

I am an extremely deviant torrent user and gamer. Having worked for my own ISP for several years I can tell you that the only time a user will get flagged for usage is if there is a sudden spike in use, i.e. trying to host your own web server. If you need to do something like this, then it is recommended for you to purchase a business line connection, no caps or metering.
    Ruranak - Cleric - Greybriar - Guardian :: Sacred Haven

ASrock p67 Extreme6 - i7-2600K @ 4.80Ghz O.C. - 8GB XMS3 - 2x HD6970 - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler
    Antec Lanboy Blue - 80GB SSD

Soulwalker

Default Good to know!

Thanks guys, especially Elecjester. That breakdown was very useful. I was really worried about this, but you've calmed my fear. I did a lot of Netflix streaming, but when they took Spongebob off of instant watch, the kids don't want to watch so much. As far as the laptops, one is usually on Facebook, probably in farmville or something. Two are probably playing Rift or some other online game. The last is probably on a forum, or an all text website. So no major issues. As far as the PS3s go, that does give concern. Every Tuesday, I usually go in and download whatever demos are available, I patch every game that I own, I'm a pretty active downloader from the Playstation Network. But I think I'll be ok. We are just going to have to test the water.

And as far as the Canadian's having low caps, my cousin is on Satelliite internet, and his cap is 7.5 gigs a month, which is why he generally comes over to my house to game. That and playing MMOs during cloudy weather makes for MAJOR lag.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Tertius View Post
    ...Coincidentally, AT&T is offering their own video streaming service, and the data usage cap does NOT apply to it. Interesting, no?
    Indeed. Support net nuetrality. https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Net_nuetrality

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast