+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rift on Mac?

Soulwalker

Default Rift on Mac?

Will this work? I'm curious because I've bought the game and everything and am wondering whether or not I can run it on a Mac.

I think some people have gotten it to run using Bootcamp to load Windows, but I don't know the details. There are some threads in this forum if you look a few pages it. They might tell you what you need to know.

Plane Touched

There's no Mac native client as of yet, if you're on a Mac you'll need to use Bootcamp to setup and run Windows in order to play the game.

Im running it on a macbook pro through bootcamp. Bookcamp makes it easy to partition your harddrive and set up windows. you will need a copy of windows with a valid license. Im running mine with xp, my friend vista on his, i think rift is working better on his, but he may also just have the better computer.

Soulwalker

Runs fine on a Mac Pro (2009) via Bootcamp and Windows 7.

However, there is no working client for OSX. Apparently Rift runs well under Wine on Linux, but something unknown prevents it from running under Wine on OSX - essentially you can't get past the initial loading screen. I'm sure people are working on this, but it isn't currently functioning.

It also runs (albeit slowly) in VMware Fusion (and I'm told it runs similarly under Parallels, though I haven't tried that myself).

In short: yes it runs on a Mac, but only if you have installed some form of Windows on it!

Load up with bootcamp

Install windows

Update vid card under windows

Play away

+ Reply to Thread