+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting sudden massive FPS drops for no apparent reason

Soulwalker

Unhappy Getting sudden massive FPS drops for no apparent reason

Hello, im having this weird problem with RIFT. Most of the time while playing I get huge drops in FPS in 20-30 seconds intervals, and the sound gets scrambled during the slowdown, these arent triggered by anything specific i can tell, they happen even when im standing alone doing nothing, in warfronts ,in rifts, just navigating menus, inventory character sheets, all just the same. The point is im pretty sure these "slowdowns" arent related to activity. The time between "slowdowns" the game runs smoothly even if im in a rift with a bajizillion of people around. The only thing i have been able to determine is that occurs in 20-30 seconds intervals, cuz i started counting while standing around in a deserted area and they happened even with low activity around me.

My system:

EVGA Geforce GTX 285
    intel quad core 6600
    MOBO MSI Platinum P6N SLI
    Soundblaster X Fi Extremegamer
    4 GB RAM 4 Corsair 1Gb Bus 800
    Windows Vista 32-bit Ultimate SP2

At first I thought it was something wrong with my PC, but i tried playing other games like Fallout New Vegas and Dragon Age 2 Demo at maximum settings but i didnt have any problems with them. The problem occurs with RIFT. Anyways I cleaned my pc with CCleaner, scanned it for viruses, spyware and such, it found few spywares which were eliminated, but the problem persists. Also uninstalled unused games from my hard drive, deleted videos and crap i dont use anymore and freed up like 50 gb. Also used Evga Precision Tool to put my fan speed to 100%, removed de overclocking that comes from the factory with my video card, tweaked with it just to see if overheating or underclocking/overclocking was the issue but the problem is still there. Also eliminated a lot of startup programs that never before caused me any trouble, but nothing. What bothers me is that only happens in RIFT, not any other game i have tried. I even tried playing with the lowest graphics setting (min) but it doesnt fix anything, the slowdowns still happen. Im at my wits end here so if anyone has a clue or a tip for me id appreciate it.

Soulwalker

Update: I to test my system further so i looked up my installed games and found Crysis Warhead, so i fired it up in maximum settings, and yes the slowdowns are present too so i guess is something in my PC but still cant figure it out . I noticed that my CPU usage spikes up to 100% during the slowdowns and checking my GPU temperature it reaches 83 C while playing RIFT which is hot but not in the unsafe range of temp. Im not sure if its related, but that temp is the usual i get ehile playing, and these slowdowns appeared a few days ago...any tips will be appreciated.

Soulwalker

Ok problem solved...just opened my case and boy were those vents dirty.....im out of compressed air cleaner so I dusted it, blew off some dirt and im gonna keep my case open for better ventilation until tomorrow i go and buy a can of compressed air and do some deep cleaning....just managed to get my in game GPU temp from 83-87 C to 65-72 C and slowdowns B-gone.

+ Reply to Thread