Closed Thread

Thread: Memory Leak

Default Memory Leak

There is a possible Memory leak in the game, can you look into it?
    Thanks.

Originally my rift was running 200k-300k tops, now its 1mill.

What tool are you using to check the memory leak? And what makes you certain that it's a leak?

When I start up Rift and sit at the character select screen, I see Rift using between 300 and 400k memory. When I get into the game world, memory usage goes up to about 800k initially and then climbs as I move around the world and the game has to load more geometry, textures, sounds, and other assets into memory. This is perfectly normal and is expected behavior for a game or just about any program. This does not indicate any kind of memory leak. Also note that loging out of the game and returning to the character select screen does not clear out memory. If you don't exit the game, Rift will assume that you are going to re-enter the game world and will keep hold of any memory that it has allocated so that it can use it later.

What would indicate a memory leak is if you can sit at the character select screen and have the memory usage climb from 300k to over 1MB without doing anything. Or if you sit in the game and see the memory usage climbing extremely high without you moving your character around. And this has to clime a lot and consistently. In the course of normal operations, Rift will have to allocate more memory every time another character comes into range or an in-game event happens or anything that changes the world in a meaningful way.

The only memory monitoring tool I have is the Windows Task manager, which is far from a robust memory monitor, but from watching it while playing the game for long and short periods of time, I don't see anything that would make me think that there is a severe memory leak.

Shadowlander

I think there could be a memory leak too. Its not that im actively monitoring the memory use-behaviour, but I keep crashing-reboot when I zone (through portals and into instances).
    Its not my rig, its good enough/and checked, still it happens. It looks like releasing zone-data and loading the new one doesnt work so well together. I could be wrong, but it looks like other memory-leaks.

I know more people have this issue, and I know some doesnt. Former sollution was to use 'recover', it didnt mention it recovered anything but somehow it fixed the problem in beta. Right now, it doenst work anymore and in-game loading screens mean a hard reboot.
    Last edited by Jetsertje; 03-03-2011 at 11:16 PM.

I'm not saying that there aren't memory leaks, but your standard memory leak shouldn't cause a crash on changing zones. What a memory leak should do is cause Rift to gradually use up all your memory until there is none left. Then you'll start paging all the time or see the game crash when it cannot allocate any more memory and doesn't properly test to make sure it's getting the memory it requested.

Also, a memory leak is something that only happens while the program is running. So if using the recover feature of the launcher fixes the issue, it's not a memory leak. Recover can repair/replace files that have been corrupted, but it can't solve a memory leak.

If the zoning issue is related to memory, it's much more likely to be that Rift released some unnecessary data and then tried to use that memory again without initializing it. That scenario could cause a crash, but it's not a memory leak. (I'm not saying this is the problem, I'm just giving an example.)

Shadowlander

Thx @ Madhouse, for the info u gave

Just hope they fix it, whatever causes this conflict. A hard sudden reboot (Rift loads a new area, pc shuts down and reboots) is probably not really healthy for my computer-hardware and its definitly gamebreaking when u need to travel a lot in game.

Soulwalker

There is a huge memory leak, My computer just warned me through norton that rift just jumped up to over a 1mil of memory being used.

Quote Originally Posted by ritsuka View Post
    There is a huge memory leak, My computer just warned me through norton that rift just jumped up to over a 1mil of memory being used.
    That's not necessarilly a leak, that could be just a complex world with a lot of geometry and texture data loaded into memory. A memory leak is when an application continually uses more and more of the system's memory and never releases it. There is a world of difference between "using a lot of memory" and "leaking memory."

Quote Originally Posted by MadHouse View Post
    That's not necessarilly a leak, that could be just a complex world with a lot of geometry and texture data loaded into memory. A memory leak is when an application continually uses more and more of the system's memory and never releases it. There is a world of difference between "using a lot of memory" and "leaking memory."
    Correct. Usually a true memory leak ends with windows throwing an "out of memory" error also or a "low system memory" warning

Closed Thread