+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hardwaredetector.exe has stopped working

Soulwalker

Default hardwaredetector.exe has stopped working

Getting this error. I have just uninstalled and reinstalled. The game is patching now, but
    this happened in my prior installation, and playing caused a "RIFT has stopped working" -type error.

Any ideas? I am brand new to the game, but not to gaming, so any suggestions or help would be most welcome.
    Last edited by Sithean; 03-01-2011 at 05:28 PM.

Soulwalker

I am having the same issue. I think its related to my d3dx9_43.dll but I am not sure. When I try to run either the rift.exe or the hardwaredetector.exe I recieve an error stating that my d3dxd9_43.dll file is not for windows or is corrupt. I have downloaded the June 2010 DirectX package from Microsoft, made sure everything was updated, and even deleted the d3dx9_43.dll file and did the online patch and it still would not work. I have spent 8 hours straight trouble shooting and trying to figure this out, but to no avail. No Rift for me until I can figure out what the problem is. I also re-downloaded the entire game (as I purchased it in digital form).

I really hope someone who is alot better with computers or maybe a new patch can help the ones who are having this issue out.

Edit: I forgot to mention that when I start the Play Right shortcut and log in and click play, a "Rift has stopped working" error pops up with windows saying it is trying to figure out why. I tried all the shortcuts and .exe files in the Rift folder and nothing has worked.
    Last edited by NotTaken; 03-02-2011 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Added in additional information for clarity

Soulwalker

the Hardwaredetector dose the same thing for me, but for me when i log in, the screen flashes a few times, and i just get the background visual of the .. i dono what it is, a stone overlook with a pretty blue thing. Anyway, none of the UI shows up. have installed and reinstaled, and the HArdwaredetector crashses instantly. =/

Soulwalker

im having the same issue

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by esieane View Post
    the Hardwaredetector dose the same thing for me, but for me when i log in, the screen flashes a few times, and i just get the background visual of the .. i dono what it is, a stone overlook with a pretty blue thing. Anyway, none of the UI shows up. have installed and reinstaled, and the HArdwaredetector crashses instantly. =/
    Exactly the same thing here.

Great job at posting such WONDERFUL amounts of information.

I suggest you all read http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...-everyone-here and try again at asking for help.

Soulwalker

I had the same issue.
    Here is some help without the know-it-all attitude.

It seems there are components to DirectX 9.0c Rift needs. But if you have DirectX 11 because it came with your version of Windows then Windows Update will think you have it all.

Do this:
    Download the "DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer"
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/i...dxwebsetup.exe

Run it. It should find some kind of 'optional SDK developers module' or some other kind of 'what ever' message. It downloads something you don't have that is part of DirectX 9.0c that RIFT needs to run.

It got mine working. Hope this helps others.

EJD
    Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by SeanIx View Post
    I had the same issue.

It seems there are components to DirectX 9.0c Rift needs. But if you have DirectX 11 because it came with your version of Windows then Windows Update will think you have it all.

Do this:

Run it. It should find some kind of 'optional SDK developers module' or some other kind of 'what ever' message. It downloads something you don't have that is part of DirectX 9.0c that RIFT needs to run.

You are a genius, fixed me right up.
    It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Soulwalker

wow, iv been looking for a post like this. dunno why i couldnt find it till now. but im trying the direct x fix as i type. the hardwaredetector just stopped working on me yesterday, has been fine for the past month or so.

Soulwalker

sadly this didnt work. during the install it says directx setup- an internal system error occured. PLease refert to the DXError.log and Directx.log in your windows folder.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by SeanIx View Post
    I had the same issue.

Do this:

Thanks Seanix, going to give this a whirl tonight.

Soulwalker

I have an identical problem. hardwaredetector fails. When the game launches the screen flashes a few times with different colors then goes to the char select screen but there is no UI just the background.

I went to dxwebsetup and it says I have the latest version.

Any tips welcome.

Telaran

im in the exact same boat as drinkblot and the OP, the dxweb didn't work, told me i already have the equiv or newer version...

Soulwalker

Default Resolved

I was able to get this resolved by reformatting and reinstalling my OS, then my Nvidia drivers, then DX and then Rift.

I don't know what screwed the pooch on this but it was a very irritating problem and having to do a hard-drive wipe to fix it really sucked but the deed is done.

Thanks for the help.

+ Reply to Thread