+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Hendrikdawin
  • 2 Post By Shas

Thread: Macro Questions

Rift Master

Default Macro Questions

I just returned to Rift and decided to get deeper into macros as I'm adding more spells to my characters. So, I have some questions about macro use.

1. When I use a macro, some spells are shown on the screen by name as they are cast, and some are not. Does that mean the ones that don't show the name are not working/cast?

2. While casting the spells that are not listed on the screen, my characters still perform a motion as if they're casting it, does this mean the spells are cast, for some reason it just doesn't list the name.

2. Along with that, why is it that some spells may or may not be cast (no name listed on my screen), yet if I continue using the macro (long fight maybe), suddenly some of the spells that didn't show a name before now do.

2. Is there a reliable method to find out if all your spells in a macro are cast? I went to the training area with all the dummies, and switched my chat over to the combat listing, but that doesn't seem to be reliable as even in there sometimes a spell is listed, and sometimes it's not. Besides (my opinion) going through a long list like that really doesn't help much as it's cluttered by side effects of spells, and spells going back and forth between my character and their pet and other results I have no idea how they were cast lol.

3. When you use a spell, the icon(s) (the one that represents the macro on the hotbar) rotate in a circular motion. I presume that's the cast time of the spell? Do I have to wait for the rotation to complete or can I keep casting the macro even when the rotating motion is still going on? Or does that overwrite the previous spell from the moment I cast the next spell in the macro.

Appreciate any help.

R7

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor7 View Post
    I just returned to Rift and decided to get deeper into macros as I'm adding more spells to my characters. So, I have some questions about macro use.

1. When I use a macro, some spells are shown on the screen by name as they are cast, and some are not. Does that mean the ones that don't show the name are not working/cast?

2. While casting the spells that are not listed on the screen, my characters still perform a motion as if they're casting it, does this mean the spells are cast, for some reason it just doesn't list the name.

2. Along with that, why is it that some spells may or may not be cast (no name listed on my screen), yet if I continue using the macro (long fight maybe), suddenly some of the spells that didn't show a name before now do.

2. Is there a reliable method to find out if all your spells in a macro are cast? I went to the training area with all the dummies, and switched my chat over to the combat listing, but that doesn't seem to be reliable as even in there sometimes a spell is listed, and sometimes it's not. Besides (my opinion) going through a long list like that really doesn't help much as it's cluttered by side effects of spells, and spells going back and forth between my character and their pet and other results I have no idea how they were cast lol.

3. When you use a spell, the icon(s) (the one that represents the macro on the hotbar) rotate in a circular motion. I presume that's the cast time of the spell? Do I have to wait for the rotation to complete or can I keep casting the macro even when the rotating motion is still going on? Or does that overwrite the previous spell from the moment I cast the next spell in the macro.

Appreciate any help.

R7
    1. i guess that you have spells with cast time and instant spells mixed in one macro, the bar (with the name of the ability) on you screen is only shown when you are using an ability that has a cast time

2.1 thats when you use an ability that has no cast time and goes off instantly

2.2 some abilities have a condition to be used (e.g. after a crit/certain ability is used), or you have 2 or more abilites without a cooldown in the same macro, in that case it will only cast the first of them

2.3 you could download riftmeter, hit the dummy ones click on your name and you will see a list of all abilities that hit the dummy

3. the rotation is the global cooldown (or in the case of an ability that has a cooldown itself it can also be that) after every ability you can't use another ability for 1-1.5sec, depending on class/spec (exception are abilites that say "this ability is not affected by the global cooldown)
    Last edited by Hendrikdawin; 02-08-2020 at 10:49 AM.

Rift Master

Thank you for the reply.

I have some more questions.

1. You can mix spells with a cast time and instant spells in the same macro?

2. You can only put one ability without a global cooldown in a macro? If this is correct,
    does it matter where you put it? Beginning or end of the macro?
    Also, does this mean spells with a global cooldown can all be cast from the same macro?

2.3. I was thinking about using Riftmeter, thanks for confirming that.

3. I want to make sure I understand this correctly. Basically, you're saying I need to wait
    for the rotation to finish before casting the next spell? (that should, in most cases, be at least the 1 -1.5 seconds you mentioned). What happens if I hit the next spell to soon, does that cancel the previous spell and you lose the DPS, or part of of it, from when you cast the next spell?

Thanks again.

R7

Since you also asked in the Ultimate Rift Macro Guide, maybe you should check there for new replies...

http://forums.riftgame.com/technical...ml#post5388139
    Quote Originally Posted by AnneBonny View Post
    We still want to give you a small hint: communication, support and entertainment are our three main concerns and you can count on some changes and improvements in this direction.
    We are all gamers and we understand how important transparency and open-mindedness are
    First lies told by Gamigo

Talking

Highly recommend this setting as it gives a direct feedback on what just happened/ not happened. Stock RIFT Setting without any addons:

You can extend that with the Ability name while getting used to all the spells.
    As Warlock for example, you may immediately see that a dot is not ticking because the icon is not showing up. Without actively checking for it you can fix a mistake which you may not have noticed when only having a wall of yellow numbers on theyr own. Also you get a good feel on how good spells are and may find yourself rearranding your priorities based on how well a spell is performing in action.
    (Like: You have a spell that looks good on paper but always hits very low? How long would it take you to find that one out :P With the live feedback you will find youself improving on your rotations faster)

We may fix some basics while we are here:

1. You can mix spells with a cast time and instant spells in the same macro?
    Yes surely. Know, that the macro will follow a top down Priority. It will always cast the highest available ability.

Having a Cast and an instant with both no cooldown, will havou spam the cast one forever until you move, then casting is not an option and the instant one will be used.
    Typical example

#show Bolt of Retribution <- Set the ability you want to track in the icon here
    suppressmacrofailures <- Will remove screen messeges of *cast not ready yet* etc pp
    cast Bolt of Retribution <- cast
    cast Bolt of Judgment <- Instant
    cast Break Free <- both stunbreaker which will be used when stunned
    cast Fading Light <-

2. You can only put one ability without a global cooldown in a macro? If this is correct,
    does it matter where you put it? Beginning or end of the macro?
    Also, does this mean spells with a global cooldown can all be cast from the same macro?
    Abilities in a macro will cause an artificial 0.1 sec igcd. Having 3x ogcd's before a normal cast will have you not cast all igcd's asap but rather delay the normal cast by quite a bit. Unless it is an important carpetbuff like Deep Freeze, igcd's are usually used on the bottom of the macro.

As then a gcd will cause all casts to not be ready but the igcd's (casting your all possible ogcd's inbetween 2 normal abilities)

Example:

#show A Quick Death
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast a Quick Death <- Instant melee, always ready
    cast Arterial Strike <- Ogcd
    cast Retaliation <- Ogcd
    cast Backhand <- Ogcd
    cast @self Power Manipulation <- Ogcd
    cast Battlefield Medic <- Ogcd
    cast Eye of the Storm <- Ogcd

Here i put the ogcd's below AQD as the macro will prioritise AQD and will not delay it. Then and arranged the ogcd's in the order or importance. Again: every ogcd will cause a tiny delay before another macro ability can be cast. Unless a gcd ability needs a ogcd to do better (Decisive Strike and Icy Burst), there is no reason putting ogcd's ontop.

Still: One button press is one ability used while it will continue using the highest listed abiity that meets the requirements.

2.3. I was thinking about using Riftmeter, thanks for confirming that.
    There is also Rift Meter 2. It's basically the same but #2 will automatically reset itself when a boss has multiple phases and a new phase starts. You can run Meter #1 and #2 next to each other.

3. I want to make sure I understand this correctly. Basically, you're saying I need to wait
    for the rotation to finish before casting the next spell? (that should, in most cases, be at least the 1 -1.5 seconds you mentioned). What happens if I hit the next spell to soon, does that cancel the previous spell and you lose the DPS, or part of of it, from when you cast the next spell?

RIFT's default setting lets you spam a cast time ability and will not interrupt it for any ability but rather wait for it to finish/ go off before unsing any ogcd or starting another cast. Interrupting a Cast is usuelly done by moving a cm or using the macro command stopcasting

Standing there and casting an ability with a casttime longer than your gcd/ or one that is usually used with a much lower cast time procc (Cinder Burst/ Bolt of Depravity) is called hardcasting and may only be done in special situations.

Mage Harbinger for example is a melee spec which can procc the ability to make the next cast instant. to prevent a mistake and starting a 2.5 sec Lightning Strike etc, you can jsut run stopcasting ontop of your instant abilities.
    Canceling a cast time will also reset the gcd and leave no penalty

There is also a setting that let you choose between:

No ability Queue: Abilities need to be pressed/ spammed when they are ready

Short Queue: Abilities can be pressed shortly before they are ready/ the gcd is over and will cast as soon as possible
    Long Que: Pressing an ability during the gcd will queue it in and cast it as soon as possible

Main benefit of those two is that you don't have to spam a button 100 times/second to time the end of the gcd perfectly and not lose time but rather queue in the next action to perform.

The queue is displayed with a intensifying glow. See it as a *lock in*. The long queue setting can have you press it once or press and hold and it will cast the next ability in line right at the end of the gcd.

I find the best gain with short queue as it allows ability use with no downtime due to gcd/ press timing rgs but also lowers the risk of accidental casts as long queue may do.

The absolute only situation where i experienced the queue system to screw me over is when using multiple 3 second Torrent channels of which each costs Rogue-energy. On lags, it may cast 2 in a row and even when cancelling the Torrent with stopcasting, the energy is spent. Very situational.

Sidenotes:

Rift's gcd system is smart enough that the Queue will plan the use of macros for you.
    Say you have a 1.5 second gcd and one ability has 1 sec gcd left

suppressmacrofailures
    cast Ability 1 <- 1 sec cd left
    cast ABility 2 <- spamable filler

The Gcd queue will que in ability #1 as it will be ready at the end of the gcd. (When a gcd starts and a gcd ability has less cooldown than the gcd, it will be handled and displayed as ready during the gcd) this will mostly affect long ability queues.

Rotation means how you are cycling through abilities. Like what 60 abilities you as a player use within a minute
    The clock like animation is gust global cooldown.

Test around yourself and drag every ability which are in your macros also on the hotbar to see how and when they get fired off.

Here is an example of a more complex aoe heal macro-construct to se waht's possible:

#show Extraordinary Care
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Deep Breaths <- Useable with 95 Warrior-power to enable a 10 sec buff
    cast @self Stand Tall! <- Ogcd, buffs all other spells
    cast Jolt <- ogcd with high priority
    cast @self Corrective Measures <- Only useable with 3 combo points
    cast @self Extraordinary Care <- High priority cd ability
    cast @self Mass Casualty Response <- aoe heal costing 1 combo point
    cast @self Quick Remedy <- Strong cd granting 3 combo points
    cast I'm with you! <- Grants 3 combo points
    cast @group01 Liberation Treatment <- Costs way less power than I'm With you!, Tanks are usually group01
    cast Break Free <- The stunbreaks
    cast Fading Light <-

For details to macro rules and commands, follow the link from Ambrodel.
    Last edited by Shas; 02-09-2020 at 10:10 PM.

Hierosolyma | Katane | Azuren | Jeru | Syenn | Shas | Shaslol | Shastroll

Rift Master

Thank you very much everyone.

Lot to digest/learn. Time to get busy lol.
    R7

+ Reply to Thread