+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wardrobe Catalogue

Lightbulb Wardrobe Catalogue

has anyone checked to see what it would take from the GMs to create an addon like completionist, Jbags, Mapext etc that collects info from all items you come into contact with that have appearance info and then adds it to a database associating all items in a set that share the same wardrobe appearances so we can start learning off each others looting where to ffind what we are missing?

Soulwalker

This would be a great idea. I was looking around for something like this to help me find the wardrobe pieces i'm missing but haven't seen anything.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Gagner View Post
    This would be a great idea. I was looking around for something like this to help me find the wardrobe pieces i'm missing but haven't seen anything.
    The problem with a wiki as I have had Tacitus explain to me is the mountain of data behind it runs one way. from the items and their tintable counter part to the appearance database to register in our wardrobe profile.

apparently tracking the wardrobe appearances back to every origin they poses has never been programmed or even considered a necessary mechanic since the advent of the current wardrobe system

This is why I am hoping there is an addon savy player who would know how to have an addon detect when an item enters the inventory, catalogue the item, the wardrobe appearance and associate the two cyclically.

then find out how to let said addon send data back to curse to update future downloads with a compiler that would trigger every so much data that gets buffered. if this is a function which would require something outside curse to receive info from the addon then I have an unused web domain with go daddy that i hope could be useful

Shadowlander

I thought about this and started looking into what data would need to be gathered. The add-on would need a pre-computed table.

Appearance ID
    List of item IDs
    --List of NPCs for each ID
    ----Level of each NPC
    ----List of Zones for each NPC (I forget if this can be found in the npc xml file, otherwise have to partner with Magelo.)
    ------Zone level.
    ----Classification of each NPC as a source (Vendor, Faction, Reputation, PVP, Random Drop, Boss... manually populated. There might be ways to speed up the process, but there's nothing in the data sets that would automatically categorize it the way users want to see it.)
    ----(optional) Waypoint coordinates for Zone/NPC/dungeon entrance (manually populated, or Magelo.)
    ----(optional) Cost of item and currency, if applicable (this data might be in the discoveries.xml for each item ID, I forget. Or Magelo.)

If the Appearance ID isn't available in the discoveries xml, then the developer will have to make an in-game script that basically logs the tooltip while querying every known item ID with an appearance. You could try querying every item ID, valid or not. Would have to see how the system responds to that; it might make it grumpy. And make sure you watch out for the watchdog timer. This would be a once-per-release task for the dev.

All of this pre-computed data might already exist in a convenient manner in Magelo's databases and just needs to be exported and massaged into a condensed mini-set; might just need to check with them. Put a "Powered by Magelo" picture in the add-on.

At run-time, it would have to figure out which appearances have not been collected. Hopefully there's a simple(r) way to do this. As far as I can tell, one would have to open the Wardrobe window, open each inventory slot, show uncollected, then click a button. That would run a script that would look at your open windows, find the wardrobe window, harvest the contents of that window, figure out which icons are enabled and disabled, then build a list of the disabled ones. Not sure if the data loads at startup and is accessible in the background, or if it loads the first time the character window opens, or not until the wardrobe window is opened, or not util the item slot is opened, or not until the show uncollected box is checked, and I don't know how long the data persists locally once it is loaded. And even if it persists, how accessible it is.

At any rate, once the data is harvested, it's down to presentation and lookups.

"I want to select a zone/dungeon/faction/pvp and see what uncollected appearances I have left." Maybe a checkbox for "Use current zone."

"I want to select an appearance and see what items provide it, sorted by source classification." All the vendor purchases would be together, sorted by type, then by zone of the NPC. All the dungeon drops would be together, sorted by zone level then by zone of the NPC. All the random drops would be together, sorted by zone level, then by zone, then by level of the NPC. Maybe clicking an NPC would create a waypoint/area for them on the map.

This project could then be expanded to mounts, companion pets, pet skins, titles, artifacts, rare kills, zone puzzles (only show locations by default, check box to show spoilers), quests...

I don't have experience with lua or the UI API so this wasn't achievable at the time. I'll revisit it when I get some other projects finished. I am honestly hoping that the API dev (Seebs? Imhothar? I forget.) will soon have some time to update the API into something more convenient for addon devs. I'm sure he'll be busy for a while with the new 64-bit client.

A model viewer, either for download or web-based, is also at the top of my wishlist.
    Last edited by deathbeams; 11-23-2016 at 08:11 AM.

+ Reply to Thread