+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can Gadgets be role-specific and not just character-specific?

Rift Disciple

Default Can Gadgets be role-specific and not just character-specific?

I posted this question in the Gadgets thread, too --- so forgive the duplication:

I'm new to Gadgets and will be using it primarily for its healing raid frames. As a mage, I assume that the UI set up I develop with gadgets for chloro would therefore be the same when I switch to pyro or ele or any of my other 4 builds. So when editing the traditional Rift components, I should keep in mind that 'one size fits all.' Correct, so far? Further if each of these builds has a set of 15-20 or more kalerts, that those have to be moved accordingly. That's too bad, since I like having the raid frames for healing between my character's feet and my toolbars, but for DPS, I'd rather have the raid frames up in the left corner and my tool bar further up on the screen. No way to have Gadgets setup change per role?

- Make UI for DPS
    - Right-click Gadgets Icon
    - Enter name to save Profile (save)
    - Reloadui
    - Rinse Repeat
    - [x] Show window ImportLayout when you change role

It's not the best option because you have to manually select the profile (vs Roles where everything swaps automagically). If you have a lot of profiles, the listing will also be quite long (with no scroll wheel.) I'd recommend cleaning up Profiles (deleting) if you have a lot and don't need most of them so you can pick quickly. You also cannot pick in combat, so keep that in mind.
    Last edited by Riane; 10-06-2016 at 11:57 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Riane View Post
    - Make UI for DPS
    - Right-click Gadgets Icon
    - Enter name to save Profile (save)
    - Reloadui
    - Rinse Repeat
    - [x] Show window ImportLayout when you change role

It's not the best option because you have to manually select the profile (vs Roles where everything swaps automagically). If you have a lot of profiles, the listing will also be quite long (with no scroll wheel.) I'd recommend cleaning up Profiles (deleting) if you have a lot and don't need most of them so you can pick quickly. You also cannot pick in combat, so keep that in mind.
    Thanks for the advice. I created two profiles, one called Healing and one called DPS. But when I make a change in Healing, such as deleting the charge meter, it deletes it in DPS as well. What am I doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by phayse View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I created two profiles, one called Healing and one called DPS. But when I make a change in Healing, such as deleting the charge meter, it deletes it in DPS as well. What am I doing wrong?
    You aren't saving it properly.

Create your UI, save the profile name. Reloadui. Load a new profile and edit that. Save the profile. Reloadui.

Now swap between the two to ensure that the changes went through for each separate profile.

Rift Disciple

You aren't saving it properly.

Create your UI, save the profile name. Reloadui. Load a new profile and edit that. Save the profile. Reloadui.

Now swap between the two to ensure that the changes went through for each separate profile.
    I have now tried every possible permutation of saving and naming, yet when I delete the charge bar in one profile it deletes it in the other

I have now tried every possible permutation of saving and naming, yet when I delete the charge bar in one profile it deletes it in the other
    Are you doing a reloadui after you save?

Rift Disciple

Are you doing a reloadui after you save?
    yes I am ... maybe if I knew how to bring up an existing profile other than changing roles, it might help

yes I am ... maybe if I knew how to bring up an existing profile other than changing roles, it might help
    It's... right in there if when you right-click -.-

Right-click Gadgets > Import Layout

+ Reply to Thread