+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CPU saving letterbox addon!

Soulwalker

Default CPU saving letterbox addon!

Thinking of learning how to make addons (seen a cpl of tutorials) and make a letterbox addon similiar to the built in function in EQ2 that creates black fields up and down on the screen. The idea is that the computer doesnt have to render graphs in those areas and therefor saves cpu demands plus that I liked the interface better when I had dedicated areas for my hotbars, chatboxes, portraits etc. What I want to know before I dig into this, for me pretty great task, is if it is possible to do this? Im sure creating the black fields isnt a problem but does the computer per auto stop rendering graphics in those areas? Is it that simple?

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Calrowe View Post
    Im sure creating the black fields isnt a problem but does the computer per auto stop rendering graphics in those areas?
    I'm pretty sure it doesn't. The whole UI, including all you can create with Lua, is just an overlay to the actual 3d scene that gets rendered. Besides that, this wouldn't really save the CPU any work anyway, only the GPU. But unless we're talking about integrated graphics or 5+ year old hardware, the GPU is not the bottle neck in Rift.

+ Reply to Thread