+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Triggers

Plane Touched

Default Triggers

I've just posted a release version of Triggers on Curse here.

Triggers is a new alert system for tracking buffs, abilities and casts. Similar to Kalert.

Triggers was designed around the concept that a screen icon should be displayed or hidden based on multiple conditions. The icon we call a notification and the conditions called Triggers. Triggers is released with 8 defaults, Interrupts, Move, Purge, Shields, DPS buffs, Debilitates, Roots and swap mechanics. Each with many boss mechanics for our current content.

Triggers is optimized such that notifications and triggers are optimized away and are not evaluated if they need not be.

Having these default notifications makes sharing so simple. Sharing does not require you to ask for someone to share you an alert. Triggers believes this is a waste of time for everyone involved. Instead, the Sharing center gives you a list of users with Triggers and allows you to inspect their alerts and import them if you wish.

A special feature of triggers is that you can have multiple conditions (triggers) for a notification and an obvious extension of this is combining conditions. So a notification has 3 types of combined conditions.

Any Trigger Match - will display the notification if any trigger matches it's criteria.
    All Triggers Match - will display the notification only if ALL triggers match their criteria.
    No Triggers Match - will display the notification only if NO triggers match their criteria.

Giving you flexibility to do things like, don't show the purge notification unless your purge ability is off of CD.

So many features in triggers you really just need to experiment. So check out the documentation here.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Firieth; 11-20-2015 at 09:10 AM.

This definitely sounds interesting, and is something I think I'll try playing around with this weekend. I've recently run into some limitations with KAlerts that this seems to address, specifically situations like, "Only show this alert if Serpent Strike is off CD and I've got the Serpent Pose buff".

This also sounds infinitely useful on boss encounters, especially the new Arak encounter where you're only supposed to interrupt Arak if he has a specific buff on him. With KAlert, you'd have to present a screen message on top of your typical, "Interrupt!" that states, "No! Don't!", and with this addon you'll only get the Interrupt! prompt when you're supposed to interrupt (and optionally when you *can* interrupt).

Going through the documentation, I've got two questions: 1) Can a notification include a timer on how long until a buff expires or how long until an ability is off CD and 2) Is it possible to display the number of stacks a buff has within a notification? The Stacks and Timer notification options can be configured to only display an alert when there are 5 seconds remaining or when you have fewer than X stacks, but I find it useful to know exactly how many stacks of a specific buff I have, like Emptiness, and how long until the stacks drop off, so it makes it easier to plan out my rotation.
    Kengeorge@Hailol <Impulse> 9/12 T1 | 5/11 HK | 4/4 I:GP (1/4 HM)

Plane Touched

It will show stacks, timer all the typical Kalert type filters. With the added bonus of allowing you to specify if stacks or timer are greater than a number as well as below.

Once you enable the checkbox for timer or stacks and supply a numeric in the box, that criteria becomes part of the expression and shows the notification if the match is found.

so yes, it does do what your asking.

When you fool around with the options you will see that, say you always want to see how many stacks of a buff you have, you just check the stacks checkbox, enter 0 as the numeric value and uncheck less than check box. Effectively making the trigger fire when you have the buff and it has greater than 0 stacks.

So this is exactly what I've been looking for, only thing is I've run into some issues (hopefully the list won't get too long).

Currently:

*Can't delete default notifications - This is unfortunate because I like having everything customized so right now they're just disabled and pushed into a corner.
    *Timer doesn't autocenter - This doesn't detract from the usefulness, but it doesn't look right.
    *Can still type in menus on close - When you close the addon by right clicking on an ability, you can still type in the text box you were last typing in, meaning you have to type something in chat or make sure the last thing you're doing isn't typing in a text box.
    *Can't move menu - In order to move the menu, you have to move the icon which is a tad frustrating when you have the icon where you want it but can't copy the information from chat because the menu is covering it up.
    *Can't show partial timer - It doesn't appear that I can show an alert for the last 5 seconds of a buff. The timer option only gives you the option to show if there is at least x time on the buff, meaning when it hits 5 seconds remaining, the buff goes away.

Some suggestions:

*Option to pull abilities from kalerts - Not sure if this is feasible, but it'd be cool if the addon could pull from the kalert database so you don't have to wait for the ability/cast/mechanic to happen before creating the notification.
    *Sort by roles - Right now you can assign alerts to multiple roles (which is awesome), but it'd be nice to be able to pull up my Assassin PvE spec and see each of the notifications I have assigned to it without having to swap roles.

Overall at this point it'll just be a companion addon to kalerts, simply there to fill in when kalert can't do something. I'd definitely recommend trying to make it much more simpler as that is something people look for. Thanks for the work though! This is definitely something I hope to see become popular.
    Last edited by Artewig; 11-20-2015 at 10:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

RIFT Guide Writer

As someone who has a ****load of kalerts the one thing i really care about is how does this compare to Kalert CPU load wise?
    Id give it a try but converting all my alerts would take ages :/
    killings - Mage - Apotheosys - Typhiria

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by paschl View Post
    As someone who has a ****load of kalerts the one thing i really care about is how does this compare to Kalert CPU load wise?
    Id give it a try but converting all my alerts would take ages :/
    I run typical alerts and I don't see my CPU go above 1% I can only ask that you try it out and tell me how the CPU load is. When I created this I constantly compared the CPU to Kalerts and in theory Triggers is optimized better than Kalerts but it also does a bit more than Kalerts.

I have testimony from people that say that they have gained FPS switching from Kalerts to Triggers but I will not guarantee that. I can say that I used very cleaver ways to optimize Triggers. Upon entering combat or switching roles, all Notifications and Triggers are analyzed and optimized into an expression tree (or that's what I am calling it) if they meet the criteria to be used. So, if your Spec, Role(dps,tank,heals, support), Enabled/disabled or Encounter match then the triggers are placed into the expression tree; otherwise they are dropped and never looked at again until the next combat enter / exit or role change is experienced and where they are re-evaluated for expression tree consideration.

One thing I did notice in comparison to Kalerts is that Triggers CPU usage was much smoother than Kalerts. That is, Kalerts has many peeks and valleys in it's usage where-as Triggers was much more flat lined.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Artewig View Post
    *Can't delete default notifications - This is unfortunate because I like having everything customized so right now they're just disabled and pushed into a corner.
    This is because the default triggers are designed for sharing these base types, Interrupt, purge etc.. I hope to see the default notifications as a community effort to grow as a living collaboration between the community. If you do plan on sharing I recommend you use the base notification types to help the community. You can customize the default notifications, resize, change the image etc..

*Timer doesn't autocenter - This doesn't detract from the usefulness, but it doesn't look right.
    It does center vertically and will dynamically adjust to the top corner if other texts are also displayed. But your right, I make no intention on placing the text dead center. I might look into this but for now, I have bigger fish to fry.

*Can still type in menus on close - When you close the addon by right clicking on an ability, you can still type in the text box you were last typing in, meaning you have to type something in chat or make sure the last thing you're doing isn't typing in a text box.
    Yes, an incredibly annoying Rift feature. I know Kalerts has the same issues in their edit boxes as well and I haven't challenged myself with coming up with a solution to this very very annoying problem. I completely own this.

*Can't move menu - In order to move the menu, you have to move the icon which is a tad frustrating when you have the icon where you want it but can't copy the information from chat because the menu is covering it up.
    Do you mean the map icon menu? The notification configuration screen doesn't move either. That seems like something valuable that I could implement. When you do move the notification icon the config screen follows and attempts to stay on screen no matter where you move the icon.

*Can't show partial timer - It doesn't appear that I can show an alert for the last 5 seconds of a buff. The timer option only gives you the option to show if there is at least x time on the buff, meaning when it hits 5 seconds remaining, the buff goes away.
    Triggers does both either greater than or less than the time you enter. To the right of the numeric input field you have a checkbox called Less Than. I believe you have unchecked that checkbox. Try checking it and see if you receive the expected behavior.

*Option to pull abilities from kalerts - Not sure if this is feasible, but it'd be cool if the addon could pull from the kalert database so you don't have to wait for the ability/cast/mechanic to happen before creating the notification.
    It is not, Kalerts uses names as the key for abilities where-as I am using Rift internal ID's. I suspect that early versions of RIFT API didn't fully expose the ID's as it does today and therefore they needed to use the names.

All your abilities are registered when you change spec however, but you are correct, boss mechanics and buffs need to be experienced the first time beforehand. However! If you get an alert from someone else, the ability and encounter is automatically registered in your version and will automatically work.

*Sort by roles - Right now you can assign alerts to multiple roles (which is awesome), but it'd be nice to be able to pull up my Assassin PvE spec and see each of the notifications I have assigned to it without having to swap roles.
    I have a sort of approach to this but sadly it's not completely the best solution. On the map icon menu click show others and you will see all notifications. This is not the best solution cause you likely use the same location and therefore alerts are stacked and therefore, kinda useless. A todo item is to remove the checkbox and replace it with exactly what you said, a way to filter.

Overall at this point it'll just be a companion addon to kalerts, simply there to fill in when kalert can't do something. I'd definitely recommend trying to make it much more simpler as that is something people look for. Thanks for the work though! This is definitely something I hope to see become popular.
    In my opinion Triggers is the next level of KAlerts, an expert KAlerter will find Triggers to be an extension to that. A new-comer will find it awkwardly hard to learn as do most with KAlerts unfortunately.

Thanks for taking the time to evaluate Triggers!
    Last edited by Firieth; 11-20-2015 at 03:00 PM.

Plane Touched

Update R60 as Alpha release to address some of Artewig concerns.

+ opacity to individual triggers
    + MapIcon context Menu can be repositioned
    ~ Fix ordering on MapIcon Context menu
    + Add Filter to MapIcon Context menu to allow you to review your other specs. This does not show other characters.
    + Triggers Configures Dialog can now detach temporarily from the notification by click-drag the header.
    Last edited by Firieth; 11-21-2015 at 10:32 AM.

Plane Touched

R60 introduced an error with customized text not displaying, R61 is an attempt to fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by Firieth View Post
    Yes, an incredibly annoying Rift feature. I know Kalerts has the same issues in their edit boxes as well and I haven't challenged myself with coming up with a solution to this very very annoying problem. I completely own this.
    When you close the window, do a

textboxframename:SetKeyFocus(false)

If you have more than 1, then do this for all of them.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=125779&dateline=13553  38065

Plane Touched

R65 alpha release

Clear focus from config screen when saving.
    Filter list was only loading on /reloadui.
    Add Triggers Configures fields for Position and size.
    Fix notification image when creating a new notification.
    Error found with text display in r60, this is an attempt to fix that error.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Adelea View Post
    When you close the window, do a

textboxframename:SetKeyFocus(false)

If you have more than 1, then do this for all of them.
    yep, thanks! Done in r64

Plane Touched

R67 has a new enhancement to allow you to select rift images when you are creating a notification.

Plane Touched

R68 is up as release.

New feature in the sharing center. Triggers maintains a list of default notifications and I wanted to share not only the default triggers but special notifications for specific boss mechanics. This release contains Lord Arak's special interrupt alerts. These are special in that the notification will not be displayed if Lord Arak has the buff associated with the cast. And this gives you an example of how to use the "and" logic that triggers provides

To include these alerts, right click the map icon and select sharing center. In the upper left corner click on defaults by boss. The right hand list is sorted by Instance/zone. Scroll down to MOM and select Lord Arak. It will present you with a list of notifications. To import them, click on the notification and confirm. Then you will have the notification accessible to you via the standard edit functionality.

Video Tutorial - I created a quick video tutorial, this was not rehearsed so it's fairly.. bad. but it at least gives some example on how to use the different features of Triggers.
    Last edited by Firieth; 11-25-2015 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Firieth View Post
    Video Tutorial - I created a quick video tutorial, this was not rehearsed so it's fairly.. bad. but it at least gives some example on how to use the different features of Triggers.
    "This video is private."
    Nehira@Zaviel
    <The Fires of Heaven>

Nehira@Hailol
    <Coriolis>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast