+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Marikhen
  • 1 Post By Marikhen
  • 1 Post By Slipmat

Thread: Is there an AdBlock addon for this game?

General of Telara

Default Is there an AdBlock addon for this game?

It seems that the game has become infested with adware and now every time I log in I get ad spam. Is anyone working on an in-game AdBlock for this yet?

Default Adds Where?

Where In the Game Are U Seeing These Adds?

Is It In Chat?

In Chat If You Are Getting spams Right Click The Message And Report It As Spam.

If It Via The Mail. You Can Also Report That As Spam.

Otherwise Where Are You Seeing The Adds?

OP is being facetious and is talking about the new "Welcome" window that shows up when you log into your character fresh for a specific period of time.

I second this, wtb adblock for rift.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Riane View Post
    OP is being facetious and is talking about the new "Welcome" window that shows up when you log into your character fresh for a specific period of time.
    Only slightly facetious. I really would like to see an addon to block that window if Trion won't either remove it or make it optional in some reasonable (according to the community) fashion.

I'm with you, but unfortunately, I seriously doubt the addon you desire will be allowed. The TOS states:

15. Addon Policy
    Trion reserves the right, in its absolute and sole discretion, to monitor, suspend, modify, or terminate the development and use of such Addons. The development and use of such Addons are governed by this Agreement.

vi. Addons may not negatively impact the Service, Game, its shards or other players, including, without limitation, excessive use of the chat system, unnecessarily loading from the hard disk, or causing slow frame rates.
    vii. Trion reserves the right to disable any Addon or Addon functionality at its sole discretion.

As much as I like the idea, I will not hold my breath for it's creation and acceptance from Trion.

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

Best Addon blocker for the Welcome Window? left hand pressing the Esc key in 2 milliseconds, problem solved without all the

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Azteck View Post
    I'm with you, but unfortunately, I seriously doubt the addon you desire will be allowed. The TOS states:

15. Addon Policy
    Trion reserves the right, in its absolute and sole discretion, to monitor, suspend, modify, or terminate the development and use of such Addons. The development and use of such Addons are governed by this Agreement.

vi. Addons may not negatively impact the Service, Game, its shards or other players, including, without limitation, excessive use of the chat system, unnecessarily loading from the hard disk, or causing slow frame rates.
    vii. Trion reserves the right to disable any Addon or Addon functionality at its sole discretion.

As much as I like the idea, I will not hold my breath for it's creation and acceptance from Trion.
    It'd be interesting if Trion declared that an AdBlock style addon did something to "negatively impact the Service, Game," and so on. Be about the same as Microsoft's default description for the Windows 10 adware update stating that it "resolves" some "issues" with your current Windows installation.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    Best Addon blocker for the Welcome Window? left hand pressing the Esc key in 2 milliseconds, problem solved without all the
    That just closes the window. It doesn't actually prevent it from opening up in the first place. You might as well say that Alt+F4 or Start->Control Panel->Programs->Uninstall are good/great ways to block the popup window as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Marikhen View Post
    That just closes the window. It doesn't actually prevent it from opening up in the first place. You might as well say that Alt+F4 or Start->Control Panel->Programs->Uninstall are good/great ways to block the popup window as well.
    His point was less about blocking the welcome screen and more about how ridiculous the complaining about it is. The welcome screen is there for under 10 seconds a day. Can you really not be bothered to hit escape once a day and move on?

Personally I would like to see more in the window. Maybe Guild MOTD or the game MOTD, maybe a short summary of your mailbox. I think the window has plenty of good uses and it'll be interesting to see what Trion does with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Artewig View Post
    Can you really not be bothered to hit escape once a day and move on?
    It's once per character per server per day, not simply once per day. Furthermore IIRC it's on a 20 hour timer, not 24 hours. Corrections aside, if it were one ad per account per 24 hours I'd probably be inclined to deal with it. Unfortunately it's not, and its current incarnation begs not the question of whether or not I can be bothered to deal with it but instead it begs the question should I even be bothered by it in the first place.

I don't believe I should. As it currently stands it is functionally little more than automated harassment to and for me, and I quite honestly do not believe that any publisher or developer has the right to harass their playerbase.

Quote Originally Posted by Artewig View Post
    I think the window has plenty of good uses and it'll be interesting to see what Trion does with it.
    I won't argue that Trion could potentially implement some useful functions with this "Welcome Window," but as it currently stands it has none due to being a "GIVE US YOUR CASH!!11!" window at the moment. I would be less inclined, but not completely disinclined, to want the window blocked if it had legitimate uses other than badgering me.
    Last edited by Marikhen; 10-12-2015 at 01:40 PM.

+ Reply to Thread