+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Scerenis
  • 1 Post By Ardor
  • 2 Post By Zormus

Thread: Hiding "could not cast unknown ability" error messages in macros?

Plane Touched

Default Hiding "could not cast unknown ability" error messages in macros?

Is it possible? I put in some skills into the macro that are only available during Empyrean Ascension (Harbinger buff), it works properly but the constant error messages when the buff wears off can really flood my chat box.
    Last edited by Xallista; 02-16-2014 at 04:23 PM.

Ascendant

not really but you can work around it by creating a new chat tab and adding to it all the chats you do want to see, then leave the original general channel hidden, it will still get spammed with macro errors you just wont see it
    Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post

tl;dr - Trion should do this: Melee = Turret Ranged > Mobile Ranged

Quote Originally Posted by Xallista View Post
    Is it possible? I put in some skills into the macro that are only available during Empyrean Ascension (Harbinger buff), it works properly but the constant error messages when the buff wears off can really flood my chat box.

#show <Spell you want to tooltip>
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast <spell>
    cast <spell>
    cast <spell>
    Last edited by Scerenis; 02-16-2014 at 10:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragerblade View Post
    Know your place and don't talk to me ok?
    Faeblight
    60 Cleric - 60 Mage - 60 Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Scerenis View Post
    #show <Spell you want to tooltip>
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast <spell>
    cast <spell>
    cast <spell>
    You may want to take a moment and re-read the OP's question ...

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntled View Post
    not really but you can work around it by creating a new chat tab and adding to it all the chats you do want to see, then leave the original general channel hidden, it will still get spammed with macro errors you just wont see it
    Thanks, did that and it works well enough. Was strange that the error message only appears on the default chat though, since I had everything turned off but the errors were still showing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardor View Post
    You may want to take a moment and re-read the OP's question ...
    The suppressmacrofailures line should take away all of the spam, if that's not what the OP was asking for, then it was a poorly worded question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragerblade View Post
    Know your place and don't talk to me ok?
    Faeblight
    60 Cleric - 60 Mage - 60 Rogue

Telaran

The suppressmacrofailures line should take away all of the spam, if that's not what the OP was asking for, then it was a poorly worded question.
    It wasnt poorly worded. He quoted exactly what he did not want to see.
    And, I agree with the OP. We should be able to hide this nonsense. It serves no purpose to those of us who dont want to see it.

Plane Touched

I believe I was as clear as could be with just 2 lines of text.

When not in EA mode (30seconds buff every 2 minutes), the skills are unavilable, making it similar to having skills you don't have in your macros. You will get the exact same error message, and this message is not hidden with "suppressmacrofailures".

Example:
    I have a 61 pyro/10 elem/5 harb build, and I accidentally included a 16pt elem skill (burning ground) in my macro (lets say I did a respec and forgot to remove the skill from the macro).

#show Fireball
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast burning ground
    cast flame bolt
    cast fireball

When I spam that macro, I will get an error message that says "Could not cast unknown ability: Burning Ground" because that skill is not unlocked for that build. In the case of Empyrean Ascension, when I activate that buff, I gain the use of 4 new skills that can be included in macros, but because it works like the above example, when not in the EA buff, I will constantly get spammed by that error message.

You get the same error when you mis-spell the name of any skill in macros FYI, and for some reason you cannot hide it on the default chat window even though every chat message in the settings is turned off. It is only with a newly created chat window that the message would not show (something that @Gruntled pointed out).
    Last edited by Xallista; 02-17-2014 at 07:41 PM.

The suppressmacrofailures line should take away all of the spam
    To clarify, suppressmacrofailures only suppresses the red error messages that appear in the middle of your screen. These errors have to do with conditions that exist when you use the macro, such as "You must be facing your target", "Not enough attack points", "Can only cast one ability per macro".

In contrast, errors in the text of the macro itself (misspelled/unavailable ability name, for example) are shown as white text in the default chat window. These are not suppressed by suppressmacrofailures and the only way to hide them is to make a new chat window as suggested above.

It certainly would be nice if they added a way to filter out these unwanted error messages in the default chat window.
    Roles - A convenient menu for changing roles, equipment, and wardrobe

+ Reply to Thread