+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Repetable set of frames

Rift Disciple

Question Repetable set of frames

I want to create a template for a repetable set of frames that i want to have lots of. For example:
    http://i.imgur.com/AnuXEMT.png

The image contains 4 frames:
    Background, Strip, Texture and a Text.

Can i create a template somehow in lua, so that i can simply access the frames by FrameName.Text, FrameName.Background, and so on, while keeping all the functions related to the singular frames? So that i can create a variable of this template, and then Frame.Background:SetPoint() the whole thing somewhere, then change the text with Frame.Text:SetText("LoL"), and all the other functions.

This is a very C++ struct way, but i couldn't find a way to create structs in lua, since you dont define variable types in lua and it works differently from C++. (<3)

If its not possible with a template-like solution, how would i go about achieving that, if i dont know how many of the frame sets i will need?
    Last edited by Alleja zaviel; 12-06-2016 at 02:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    Accept that the egregious and obvious mistake you want fixed may be implemented by design and may not be a mistake at all.
    If we see it as an egregious and obvious mistake, maybe there should be more communication to tell us that it is not?
    Alleja Imalla Illvana Mjolln Ketllina <Servants of None> @zaviel

Rift Disciple

Default Using Metatables to Implement Classes

This link has all of the information you need: http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaClassesWithMetatable. Here's a fairly rough example:

Code:
    local MyFrame = { -- you don't even need to define anything here but it makes it easier to see what members MyFrame has
    	Background,
    	Strip,
    	Texture,
    	Text,
    }

function MyFrame:Create(name, parent)
    	local myFrame = UI.CreateFrame("Frame", name, parent)
    	myframe.Background = UI.CreateFrame("Frame", name .. ".Background", myframe)
    	myframe.Strip = UI.CreateFrame("Frame", name .. ".Strip", myframe)
    	myframe.Texture = UI.CreateFrame("Frame", name .. ".Texture", myframe)
    	myframe.Text = UI.CreateFrame("Frame", name .. ".Text", myframe)

myframe.Background:SetAllPoints()
    	myFrame.Strip:SetPoint("TOPLEFT", myFrame, "TOPLEFT")
    	myFrame.Texture:SetPoint("TOPCENTER", myFrame.Strip, "BOTTOMCENTER", 0, 20) -- pin texture to bottom of strip
    	myFrame.Text:SetPoint("TOPLEFT", myFrame.Strip, "TOPLEFT", 10, 5) -- pin text to top-left of strip
    	-- do other stuff such as resizing and coloring

-- functions
    	function myFrame:SetTitle(text)
    		self.Text:SetText(text)
    	end

-- magic
    	setmetatable(myFrame, self)
    	self.__index = self

return myFrame
    end

Usage

local function DoSomething()
    	local frame1 = MyFrame:Create("Frame1", SomePreviouslyDefinedUIContext)
    	local frame2 = MyFrame:Create("Frame2", SomePreviouslyDefinedUIContext)

frame1:SetTitle("Hello")
    	frame2:SetTitle("World")

frame1:SetPoint("TOPLEFT", UIParent, "TOPLEFT")
    	frame2:SetPoint("TOPRIGHT", UIParent, "TOPRIGHT")
    end
    Last edited by Pancakedrawer; 12-06-2016 at 10:38 PM.

Rift Disciple

Thank you, that looks like exactly what i want. Will look into it and play around with it later.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    Accept that the egregious and obvious mistake you want fixed may be implemented by design and may not be a mistake at all.
    If we see it as an egregious and obvious mistake, maybe there should be more communication to tell us that it is not?
    Alleja Imalla Illvana Mjolln Ketllina <Servants of None> @zaviel

General of Telara

If I'm not totally mistaken, then frames already have a metatable, that's where all the functions you see in the API docs reside. So it's probably not a good idea to set a new one like this.

However, you don't need the metatable to store a Text frame in a parent frame and do SomeFrame.Text:SetText(...), or to store a function like SetTitle() in every instance as in the Create() function example above.

So, the above example doesn't actually use the metatable at all. You could store the SetTitle() and other "class member" functions there so you don't have to assign them individually to every instance, though as said, be aware of existing metatables of things not created by your own code.
    Dimension Addon 'Tinker Tools' is now available on Curse!
    Or grab the latest development code on GitHub.

+ Reply to Thread