+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Addon Development possible?

Shadowlander

Default Addon Development possible?

*NOT a repost, just posted in the right section*

I found an addon that greatly fit my needs and seems to be one of a kind.
    https://mods.curse.com/addons/rift/s...t1:description

Still i would like to add some functionality to the addon that is not possible, like resizing of the bars, transparency when in and out of combat etc.

Is there anyone to help me that knows a thing or two about developing addons?
    I tried to find the developer of this addon but its a lost cause.

*Edit: the link is now working
    Last edited by kwstas778; 10-09-2016 at 10:19 AM.

Default link does not work

The provided link does not work, could be why there are no replies.
    Dangerous when amused... and you are funny.

General of Telara

In General Discussion the link points to this addon:

From the description, that addon never made it to some finished state. Quite likely that other Addons like KaruulAlert, Gadgets:Buffs, RaidCoolDowns etc. just got more attention, and there's a couple newer ones for important (de-)buffs and abilities like Choco's Cooldowns, Triggers and whatever addons I may not even have heard of yet.

I'll gladly help with any specific questions, but I already have enough to do with my own addon projects. Although I have thought about making Gadgets:Buffs standalone with better role switching support la Karuul, but it doesn't have top priority.
    Dimension Addon 'Tinker Tools' is now available on Curse!
    Or grab the latest development code on GitHub.

Shadowlander

The link is now working.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx3d View Post
    In General Discussion the link points to this addon:

From the description, that addon never made it to some finished state. Quite likely that other Addons like KaruulAlert, Gadgets:Buffs, RaidCoolDowns etc. just got more attention, and there's a couple newer ones for important (de-)buffs and abilities like Choco's Cooldowns, Triggers and whatever addons I may not even have heard of yet.

I'll gladly help with any specific questions, but I already have enough to do with my own addon projects. Although I have thought about making Gadgets:Buffs standalone with better role switching support la Karuul, but it doesn't have top priority.
    Is it difficult to learn how to code 1 simple things that bothers me the most.
    Opacity for it to work only in combat
    Also i would like to be able to have buffs stay in a certain possition on the window and not move down when reapplied.

General of Telara

You know it's really hard to give a generic answer.

Basically, just making something react to combat enter/leave alone is no big deal.
    But to add that, you first need to know where stuff is in the source code. If you've written it yourself, easy. If you need to go through some massive addon, it may take a few days just to get a grasp how stuff is organized. Schwarzschild doesn't seem that big though.

And then, there's often things that don't seem obvious at first. Say you hide it out of combat, fine. Now you have a problem with configuring because you don't want to adjust settings in combat (if it's even possible, if you need functionality only available in secure environment, you can't), and last but not least, if you want non-combat hiding to be optional, adding that to your configuration UI may be more work than implementing the hiding itself.
    Dimension Addon 'Tinker Tools' is now available on Curse!
    Or grab the latest development code on GitHub.

Shadowlander

Sounds like a lot of work then, i will stick to karuul for the time being lol.

+ Reply to Thread