+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By FluffyBunny_002
  • 2 Post By Hewi

Thread: Addon API and Starfall

Rift Disciple

Default Addon API and Starfall

There will definitely be new 'things' in Starfall. Will the API be enhanced for this or are we going to continue to be stuck with circa 2013 API functionality?

Could a DEV please respond to this serious question?

Rift Chaser

Seconding this question. I'm also hoping we finally get an artifact API...
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ911 View Post
    I'm sorry what am I supposed to be looking at? I'm too distracted by that hot dwarf in a bathing suit

I completely support the idea of this thread - but tagging 'dev' and exaggerating it like that will do nothing but frustrate those on staff that frequent the forums, as they have stated before.
    Posts get read, whether they're responded to is up to the devs / community team, but please don't think that putting DEV in big letters gives it any greater chance.

As a developer myself, I would only be frustrated or annoyed if I saw people employing tactics like those to get attention.

On the other hand, again, I do support why you created this thread in the first place. Just some forum etiquette

Edit: I can imagine there's a lot missing and probably a lot being worked on. It would be nice to have some sort of update.
    Last edited by Hewi; 09-24-2016 at 12:52 AM.
    NA#1 T-Rex. One of the token aussies for -Lemme Smash-
    RIP Coriolis.

PrancingTurtle online log parser

Champion

I don't think that there will be any relevant update to the API. For Nightmare Tide the only significant change was the introduction of the minion API. Much needed other stuff was not touched at all. The suggestion thread is full of small things which would make developing addons easier and better but it is ignored for more than 2 years.

If a new thing like minions is introduced with Starfall I believe they'll implement some API functionality for this. If not the API will not change at all.

The reason for all this? Well that's easy: The number of players.

If you host your addons on curse you get reward points. While a year ago I got easily 40 points a day I'm below 2.5 points a day now. Considering that I'm one of the last authors submitting new Rift addons to Curse and updating my large number of addons regularly to me this speaks a clear language in regards of the popularity of Rift in general and addons in particular.

Still I hugely enjoy the game and love finding new ways around the API ;-)

Cheers
    N.
    Last edited by Naifu; 09-24-2016 at 07:12 AM.

Yeah, like several other aspects, it's the cost for development time to make changes for vs what they'll get back as a result. In terms of addon API vs other changes that could potentially add revenue, I think that's fairly straightforward.
    I have heard nothing in a long time from the staff member that (as far I am aware) put a significant percentage of work into the API itself, so I'd be more concerned that a significant upgrade to it will just be skipped altogether.

2c.
    NA#1 T-Rex. One of the token aussies for -Lemme Smash-
    RIP Coriolis.

PrancingTurtle online log parser

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Naifu View Post
    I don't think that there will be any relevant update to the API.
    If a new thing like minions is introduced with Starfall I believe they'll implement some API functionality for this. If not the API will not change at all.
    The Planar Fragment bit is a likely candidate for LUA API expansion. But maybe not.

There hasn't been a Dev respond to this section of the Forum in forever. There are so many things I'd like to see exposed to LUA and/or just plain added to the API. Some of them just can't be that hard - for example since there is a GUI version of, say, teleporting to a shard then exposing that via the API couldn't take that much time.

I only write add-ons for my own personal enjoyment - hats off to you guys who want to support a public release of your add-on work - but I'm sure I'm not alone in that. I'd love to see this thread more active with an actual discussion and conversation w/ Dev's occurring.

+ Reply to Thread