+ Reply to Thread

Thread: lua being used

Rift Chaser

Default lua being used

i returned after 3 years. in rl, i am a programmer. is lua still being used. if yes, what version of lua? if no, what computer language is being used?

Champion

Yes lua is still used and it's version 4.0 AFAIK.

Cheers
    N.

Rift Chaser

thank you.

General of Telara

/script print(_VERSION)
    =>
    [/script] Lua 5.1

Actually, it is LuaJit, exact version unknown though, but it has a couple of extensions, including a few selected Lua 5.2 features.
    Dimension Addon 'Tinker Tools' is now available on Curse!
    Or grab the latest development code on GitHub.

Rift Chaser

if i download 5.2 lua editor/compiler, use 5.1 syntax or rift add-on kits/libraries, would it be safe and compatible?
    Last edited by riftloreseeker; 07-07-2016 at 11:25 AM.

General of Telara

You typically don't compile Lua manually, Rift (or rather the embedded LuaJIT) will do that automatically, so all you need is a text editor of your choice. (I like SciTE for example...)

From what I found Rift won't accept pre-compiled bytecode for security reasons anyway, so there's no point discussing bytecode compatibility between various Lua implementations.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx3d View Post
    You typically don't compile Lua manually, Rift (or rather the embedded LuaJIT) will do that automatically, so all you need is a text editor of your choice. (I like SciTE for example...)

From what I found Rift won't accept pre-compiled bytecode for security reasons anyway, so there's no point discussing bytecode compatibility between various Lua implementations.
    i forgot lua is a scripting interpreted language. you are right. i will download luajit.

Rift Chaser

how do you link luajit to the scite editor? or do i create a separate makefile cmd line? in scite, there are no options for library, interpreter folder properties or parameters.

General of Telara

Well I normally don't run any code outside of Rift because most code relies on the addon API, so it won't run otherwise anyway. And those few snippest I want to test outside I just use a console window, often directly in the interactive interpreter.

SciTE is not really meant to be an IDE either, though you can specify the command to run for the compile/build/go commands in your property files. If you open the lua.properties (from the Options menu) you'll find a line
    Code:
    command.go.*.lua=lua5.1 "$(FileNameExt)"
    There are 4 "levels" of property files, from global over user, directory to local, each overriding the previous level. So you can pretty much have completely separate configurations for each file location. You can for example put custom command.go.*.lua etc. lines in SciTEDirectory.properties in the root directory of your project and it'll use that. But I only use it for formatting options (text encoding, indentation settings etc.)

Rift Chaser

thanks. i will try it.

+ Reply to Thread