+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Programmatic Target Marking

Default Programmatic Target Marking

Is there an API to mark a unit, for instance in reaction to getting marked for doom.

I'm currently thinking about tanking Drek in RoF, and what to do for tanks whose vision isn't great. It's one thing to look for aggro indicators on raid frames, other to try to read the names and find the right target.

If marking isn't possible, I'm thinking perhaps a simplified raid frame that watches for the doom emote and turns the cell for the impacted person one color, while making the rest a different color could work.

I'm up for trying my hand at writing either/both.

Thanks.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Oort View Post
    Is there an API to mark a unit, for instance in reaction to getting marked for doom.
    No, don't think so, you can only query the unit mark.
    While you can set marks via macros, and you can add a macro event to a frame, I don't think that you can achieve what you want. Macro events deliberately only work on restricted frames (i.e. you can only set them out of combat) and will only trigger from direct user input, everything else would be dangerously close to allowing bot-like functionality via Rift's own API.

Quote Originally Posted by Oort View Post
    If marking isn't possible, I'm thinking perhaps a simplified raid frame that watches for the doom emote and turns the cell for the impacted person one color, while making the rest a different color could work.
    That should be doable, at least I don't see any obvious roadblock.
    You could even query the location of Rift's native raid frames and then overlay stuff there. For custom raid frames, you'll need a custom implementation though, obviously.

That being said, from all videos I watched, Drekanoth will not only annouce the player but actually target the player he casts Doom onto.
    So all of Rift's built-in options for target of target display, selection keybinding, ability forwarding and macro options etc. should make this manageable, I'd think. Okay some addon for a bigger cast bar where you can actually read the text properly is a must-have...or some KBM style alert just for this ability. But I don't really see how the actual targeting is a problem in this case.

i just enable cast on target target, whenever drek casts doom, the Intercept skill lights up, thats my cue to mash it and save the doom'd person.

+ Reply to Thread