+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Naifu

Thread: How do I start advanced addon editing/creation?

Rift Chaser

Default How do I start advanced addon editing/creation?

I'm sufficiently skilled to edit and tinker the provided Gadgets:Unit/Raidframes to match my needs, but there are several glaring gaps in my knowledge.

Namely : I have no idea how these things work :

Spoiler!

where do i find info about all these tags and function? what is media? how do i make it point to my own stuff? what is texAddon? how do i use/edit .dds files? also, in some elements, there is only 1 line in the "attach" line, in this example, there are 2. why?

Spoiler!

how is this function working? i cannot quite grasp it. (dont have much exp. in lua)

Spoiler!

where can i find more info about these "WT.Unit." commands?

Lastly, is there any way to see the icons, data and other info of skills/mobs etc, from the rift game data?

thank you.

Champion

Hi

The first is very specific to gadgets and is a custom implementation the author did. It's not in any way related to the standard api.

The second is an API function to attach an event to an ui element. Syntax is like this:

target:EventAttach(
    Event id,
    function() your code end,
    "your decriptive name for the event")

Target could be a frame element for example. The Event ID you'll find in the API docs. They start with Event.. Last the description is more or less only there for you to know what event had a problem if an error occurs.

The third you mentioned is a lokal function to some addon. That's not part of the API but a function that addon uses internally.

Cheers
    N.

Rift Chaser

Ok, I've understood quite a bit more, and I have 2 more questions (might be a bit complex) :

1. is it possible to create raid/unitframes WITHOUT Gadgets?
    2. how do I remove unneeded functionality from Gadgets? (like buffs, hots, dots on unitframes, icons, etc)

what I'm trying to do is to make a unit/raidframe that has these things :
    1. shows HP, HP %, resource and shields
    2. shows class, role, level
    3. shows if a unit is cleansable

IE, a very simplistic unitframe. My PC is a bit old, and I'm trying to eke out the maximum performance, but 2 things hold me back :

1. I hate the default portraits
    2. gadgets gives me lag in any largescale activity, like raid, OW bosses and CQ. I gain 5-10 FPS with gadgets off.
    3. RIFT's default raidframes suck, and dont show what i need.

I just want a simple unitframe to show basic stuff, while using the bare minimum resources.

Is this possible? Thanks.

Champion

Building an unit frame without gadgets is definitely possible as that is the purpose of the API. Gadgets is nothing but a very powerfull framework on top of the Rift API. So the generic answer to your question is: Yes you can build an unit frame addon without gadgets.

However you'd need to start from scratch and that means A LOT OF WORK.

You could build the unit frame addon absolutely to your personal needs and by limiting functionality I would say it should be possible to squeeze out more performance than gadgets offers. Keep in mind though that Gadgets as far as I'm aware is very much optimized as much as possible so I wouldn't expect any huge gains.

Most of the performance can be gained by not checking for all those many events you'd need to for a full blown unit frame addon. Skipping buffs is a very good way in reducing the power needed to drive an unit frame addon.

By skipping most of the units like groups and raids that would save another chunk of performance I'd believe.

So all in all try it. While it might be quite frustrating and a lot of work you'll learn a lot about lua and I'm sure there are many other player's who'd just love a very basic unitframe addon like you described.

Cheers
    N.

+ Reply to Thread