+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A simple(?) request.

Soulwalker

Default A simple(?) request.

I have a friend who is monochromatic colorblind(Meaning he only sees in black and white) and while that normally isn't a problem, most MMO's cause him major issues in one aspect or another. Gems in wow, any minigames that require color that kind of thing.

We both really enjoy the game and we want to keep playing it but he simply can't keep playing at the moment. The dull reds and blues of the AOE indicators are something he literally can't see on most of the floors in this game and in the expert dungeons and raids, that's a thing you can not have.

I was really hoping some of you wonderful people could help me? All I need is a change to the color of all the AOE indicator effects. It would simply need to be pure, stark white instead of dull red or blue. It would be perfect for him. I'm not sure if this is possible with an addon or not and if it isn't, you can tell me that too.

Any information helps, thanks.

Not sure if you tried this.

There's an option to play in a colorblind mode. I don't remember where it was, I also don't know how much of a change it will bring. I hope it helps.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Yeowang View Post
    Not sure if you tried this.

There's an option to play in a colorblind mode. I don't remember where it was, I also don't know how much of a change it will bring. I hope it helps.
    The colorblind mode in this game isn't designed for Monochromatic. Colorblindness is decently rare and that specific version of it is even more so, things in games like colorblind mode are rarely designed for it.

I'm not sure anyone could even passably fix this (unless the 2.7 notes put up earlier today might change this) as there are several different color ground AOEs possible at same time and differentiating which are good and bad is hard to fix for that particular color blindness.

This is just what I see as possible or not. But I would wait and see what ui changes are put in play with next weeks update

T

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Tigsman View Post
    I'm not sure anyone could even passably fix this (unless the 2.7 notes put up earlier today might change this) as there are several different color ground AOEs possible at same time and differentiating which are good and bad is hard to fix for that particular color blindness.

This is just what I see as possible or not. But I would wait and see what ui changes are put in play with next weeks update

T
    If the good effects where pure white and the bad effects were pure black, that would work just fine. The way monochromatic blindness works is that even in a nearly black area, a slightly blacker black stands out like blue on red to us "Normal" people. This can work, that isn't the problem, I'm just curious if someone out there can do it what I need.
    Last edited by InstantKarma; 04-30-2014 at 07:01 PM.

There is no way for addons to do this at all.

It would have to be something the Trion Devs did, and unfortunately that is unlikely to happen. Though who know's maybe someone will add some options for the colorblind mode to help with this.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Noshei View Post
    There is no way for addons to do this at all.

It would have to be something the Trion Devs did, and unfortunately that is unlikely to happen. Though who know's maybe someone will add some options for the colorblind mode to help with this.
    It would seem that maybe it wouldn't be so much an addon as a change to the game files? It's a simple recolor, not as crazy as those people replacing the artifact model with that of bosses to make them incredibly easy to find. I'm sure that someone can help with that.

Quote Originally Posted by InstantKarma View Post
    It would seem that maybe it wouldn't be so much an addon as a change to the game files? It's a simple recolor, not as crazy as those people replacing the artifact model with that of bosses to make them incredibly easy to find. I'm sure that someone can help with that.
    Again, this is not something that can be done by anyone that isn't a Trion Dev.

Not sure where you heard that bit about artifacts, but if someone is doing that they will get banned.

Also modifying the game files (except config files we are allowed to modify) in anyway is against the TOS and would most likely cause problems with the game.

So no, unfortunately the community can not help with this.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

I'd point out that it's not just colorblind people who can have trouble with that; red ground effects on fire rift terrain are very hard to see, and I generally can't see most of the ground effects until I have been told what they look like and seen them a few times.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Ouch, I wish I had an answer for your friend, I really do.

The best I can come up with is s/he informing groups of the colorblind issue, and asking them to verbalize "Bad stuff on ground! Move!" or "AoE healing goodness here- stay put!" I mean, you have jerks in any game, but you'd be surprised how kind people can be in this game. Friend me in-game if you like, and I'll be happy to run instances with you guys!
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

adding to this, i have seen fights with red and blue ground AOE, and yellow ground AOE all at the same time and thats not including green or alternate red ground aoe from raiders applying buffs and such.

This has to be done at the dev level, I dont believe there is any way around it and im not sure tonal coloring under the blindness setting would do enough to help. But as I said earlier, who knows, lets see what next week's patch does bring in regards to visual aids.

T

I have a suggestion that might be helpful in this regard.

Try AlertMe addon, there is an updated version you add to the regular version on the RIFTUI website. It uses images, right now it only displays 2 different ones, showing you when you're in combat or out of it. However, you can add code to it, to make it do more, and you change those images color, or design to anything you want. I'd recommend using that to show what's going on for him, and turn off all spell effects, so you don't have too much going on to distract you, and you can see it better.

Hopefully that helps. I don't know how to code, or I'd add the support in it for you - but I'm sure there are folks on the RIFTUI site willing to help with that, you just gotta get their attention. You can also try the Curse.com page for it - it has more active members.

+ Reply to Thread